Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Buying advice for sub £1500 FS pleeeeaaaasssse!!!
  • hallyguacamole
    Free Member

Cube AMS

[url=http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/cube-ams-130-bike-2012/10290]Cube 130[/url]

Lapierre
    Hiya folks, the name is Ste and I’m new here 😀
    I’ve recently (finally!) sold the 2010 Cube Attention hardtail and now I’m after a decent full suss. The problem is (as always lol) cashflow, so I’m limited to the 36 months at 0% apr deals. These two beauties have caught my eye and I’d like your opinions, the more the merrier lol, I’m usually at places like Gisburn, Coed-y-brenin etc so I need something thats light enough for the climbs but sturdy enough for the rocks too. A lot of folk mention the Giant Trance X4 but to be honest I just can’t ‘feel’ it, I’m a shallow sod and don’t like how it looks. Anyhow, enough rambling, thanks for reading 🙂

Sonor
    Free Member

I know you don’t like the look of the Trance but you can pick a TranceX 3 from here. They are great bikes.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but the Trance looks a lot better than those ugly spuds you’ve posted. 8)

dantsw13

Try the Canyon website – the Nerve XC is the best value bike by a long way!! Not sure about finance though.

stumpy01

I think the X-flow is changing quite a bit for 2013 – slacker head angle & longer fork. I’d wait for that over the 2012 version.

You don’t have a Camber on your list, which seems to be the one a lot of people are going for. I think Leisure Lakes do 0% finance & sell Specialized.

klumpy
    Free Member

And always:
    Boardman FS Pro

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Cove hustler on Merlin cycles @ £1500

hallyguacamole
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I took a look at the canyon and yeah, it looks like a great bike but there’s no 36 month finance, same goes for the boardman. It’s crap being poor! The camber I tested at leisure lakes and to be honest I wasn’t sold on it. As for the Giant…well, I’m trying to like it, and I know I should get it, but something stops me! I heard good stuff about the Cubes from the guy at leisure lakes, but I’d value an opinion form guys like your good selves, people who have been there and done it etc. Thanks for the advice folks, keep it coming!!!

hallyguacamole
    Free Member

bump!

mildred

I’ve test ridden both the Cubes and found them dull dull dull. They seemed to ride ‘heavy’ for their respective weights and just didn’t excite me.

I’ve not ridden the Lappiere but just looked at one on the shop floor. It had a weird ‘flimsy’ feel to it and seemed very XC rather than general trail.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

If you’re poor, why not look for a used Boardman Team FS? The original ones have a great spec, got a great review and seem to only fetch about £500-£550. That way you’re not tied into a 3-year finance deal. Being a shallow sod and caring about looks or a brand kind of gets put to the back-burner if you’re skint – beggars/choosers, etc.

Just a thought.. 😉

smiff
    Free Member

i know this isn’t what you want to hear but consider 2nd hand, classifieds etc to save money and get under £1000, maybe you can avoid finance that way?
    also remember running costs.. 9 speed parts cost less than 10 speed (PC951 chains are £10 vs £20 for 10 speed for example) and brake pads (last longer on some brakes), stuff like that. if you ride lots. i always cobble together bits and just did an El Guapo for about £700 using mostly parts off old bike (£1000 if you include fork) and some new bits from germany, the end result rides no worse than all new and would probably cost over £2000 if bought whole. you’ve sold your old bike already but don’t forget 2nd hand.

patriotpro
    Free Member

klumpy – Member
    And always:
    Boardman FS Pro

I’d agree on bike choice but Halfords don’t do 0% do they?

hallyguacamole
    Free Member

[/quote]boxelder – Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55730
    ?
    That’s just teasing me haha, I’d love it but again, no finance!
    As for the rest I really appreciate the advice, but cash being restricted it’s either finance for 3 years or save up, and the saving up will take years. Thanks again for the advice guys, particulary mildred, you’ve helped lots. I’ll keep looking….

dantsw13

If you went for either the boardman FS team (£1000) or Canyon Nerve XC6 (£1050), get a personal loan, and even with the interest they will still be a better deal than most £1500 full sussers, IMHO.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

If you can get a loan the Voodoo Zobop looks pretty good for £1299 with £70 further off currently.

rkk01
    Free Member

Have been thinking about selling the AnthemX

br
    Free Member

A riding buddy has the Cube AMS.

tbh while it may be a perfectly good (but heavy) XC bike, it gets totally out of its depth at GT/Innerleithen.

For trail centres and on a budget you’d be better looking at long fork HT’s.

You wouldn’t go wrong with one of these:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_786857_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#tab2

or

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOO4561X5/on_one_456_evo_x5_sektor_bike

Stick them on a credit card and pay as though it was a £1500 3 yr deal.

hallyguacamole
    Free Member

I’d never consider the FS Team but after reading the amazing reviews it’s a no-brainer isn’t it? Thanks guys, all of you have helped, special thanks to dantsw13 🙂

smiff
    Free Member

from the bikeradar comments

“oops forgot to mention if you join British cycling you get 10% off. all that for £900, cant go wrong!”

dunno if still valid.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/fs_team.html

yeah cranks are unfortunate as you can’t put cheap shimano rings on it, but otherwise looks excellent.

dantsw13

You’re making me blush!!!!!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Buying advice for sub £1500 FS pleeeeaaaasssse!!!’ is closed to new replies.