Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Buying a van abroad / shipping to UK
  • brassneck

Answer for everything here so worth a try …

Have seen a van for sale that fits my requirements and is a good price (cheap but not ridiculously so), currently residing in a north European location. Very north.

Seller is offering to ship it via a logistics company if we split costs (to be determined) who also act as an escrow service for the funds. There is a 7 day inspection / rejection period, which to me sounds like more comeback than most private sales.

Anyone done anything like this before? I’m reasonably sure it isn’t a scam, and a lot will hinge on the shipping cost (it may lift the price vs hassle quotient enough to move on) but advice appreciated..

steveh

It certainly sounds a lot like a scam. I’d only consider it if you can go and view the vehicle first.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Scam city arizona.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy anything worth that sort of money without seeing it in the flesh. Is it not possible to drive/tow it back yourself?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I nearly got taken in my a similar deal a few years ago – the seller even sent me a copy of the Italian log book. All looked legit until you took a very very close look at the scan and you could see that the text didn’t exactly follow the creases in the paper….

brassneck

Scam city arizona.

Have to say that is totally my gut reaction. There are certain specifics that are making me think a bit more, but viewing won’t be possible (I haven’t tried the water with that yet, I may do just to see if there is a bite) .. this logistics check is all that’s making me think twice. It’s a lot of money but probably not enough to setup a front logistics company which seems to check out .. still walking is the sensible option.

easygirl

It will almost certainly be a scam, I dealt with one when I was a police officer.
    I would stay away from anything that promises shipping after you have paid

The scammer will be doing this to,numerous People, so,setting up,a logistics company won’t be a problem for them

maccruiskeen

Sorry – are we talking about a van here? And not a Faberge Egg, a Penny Black, A Guttenberg Bible or a 1787 Chateau Latiffe?

Why would you be looking at buying a van under these conditions? And what sane and legitimate seller would go to the trouble of selling a van this way?

paulx
    Free Member

Mate of mine was offered a van on exactly the same basis – he nearly went for it but decided it sound too much like a scam.

tomaso
    Free Member

I would not bother. It is a scam. I have been offered similar and engaged in discussions and it just got more dodgy and fishy.

RUN!

brant
    Free Member

Someone’s got brassneck for sure.

onehundredthidiot

I know someone who bought one and the whole transaction went very smoothly, apart from the fact the van didn’t turn up and he got not a penny back.

PePPeR

Get away now! It is a scam, you will pay money and never see your goods!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Buying a van abroad / shipping to UK’ is closed to new replies.