Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Buying a used Car, however the Garage has now lost log book.
  • markshires
    Free Member

I am just in the process of buying a used car, its from a main dealer. Everything has gone through my finance agreement was sorted and we were ready to go, i did get them to sort out some minor scuffs to wheels etc like you do. But in waiting for the work to be carried out, I have been informed that the log book has gone missing so it can’t be taxed for me.

The car was originally located at another garage(same dealership), and they are saying that it was never sent with the car, however this other dealership are saying that the person that part ex’d the car originally is refusing to give them the log book.

I am now very wary about the car, sat waiting not having a clue when the car will be available, and have a finance agreement approved.

What would be my next step as Im worried about my credit rating applying for further finance.

spooky_b329

Your credit rating will only take a noticeable hit if you apply for lots of finance in a short period, as they think your desperate. Move on!

properbikeco
    Free Member

I’d just reject the car, not worth the aggro – speaks volumes about the garage too

thegreatape
    Free Member

Use the existing finance for another car? Would that work?

stuartmccarthy
    Free Member

What garage is it?

markshires
    Free Member

Should I be worried about why the previous owner is refusing to give the log book back to the other garage? I have been told the next step is for them to apply for a new one which will take about 4 weeks, but what are the reasons you wouldn’t give up your log book in the first place?

It’s the seat dealership that I’m dealing with by the way.

Sui
    Free Member

Previous owner obviously has a grievance with the garage so is just being an arse. That said the log books can be sold to crims I believe for various fraud type stuff..

DickBarton

I’d reject the deal and go for a different car…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Walk away, no book no sale.

I assume you are financing through the garage? If it’s a Seat, then seat should be able to get you another car.

hora
    Free Member

Utter crap- previous owner withholding logbook.

If its not with the car it doesn’t exist.

You’ll take the car with ‘we’ll send it on/promise’

3months later it still won’t be with you.

The garage will then say ‘previous salesman shouldn’t have told you this/got it in writing/nothing to do with us but we’ll offer you a free service sir’.

You’ll own a car on finance with a lower value when you come to PX or sell it.

I bought a 4yr old Yaris from Toyota. Promised it had full main dealer history. Finally got hold of the history and it had one indie stamp and a main dealer at point of sale. Rang the finance company and rejection took one day. I was pissed off that I was blatantly lied to. When I rang the manager at the dealership he said ‘look the history IS upto date, what more do you want’?

I had no qualms cancelling the finance.

markshires
    Free Member

If it’s hasn’t turned up by the weekend I am looking for another, i can’t really do anything until then anyway.

Hora, definitely won’t be having the car without it, they can’t tax it to give me it without it.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hora, your spouting again 🙁
    The logbook,V5C, is not proof of ownership, anyone can apply for one & the registered keeper will be sent a standard letter to give them the opotunity to reject this, but if it is disputed then it can be resolved in court if need be.

That said I wouldn’t drive an untaxed car so I wouldn’t go ahead, and don’t worry about the finance thing, you can explain if needed.

Cheers.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Dodgy as hell – walk away.

bruneep

If its not with the car it doesn’t exist.

I dont have V5C for my car, I’ve had the car for over a yr should I be concerned?

hora
    Free Member

Ah! Hang on V5? I’m confusing with history. Sorry. Delay pick up until you see it. How old is the car?

Occassionally Arnold Clark and another used to hide the fact that it said Hertz or ‘ERC ltd’ etc as the first owner. A couple of weeks later the new v5 would turn up and you may not notice or check.

Bruneep- prob because its a lease car or similar 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

There are new rules for taxing a vehicle now, you need the V5C to tax it, it’s not dodgy, just unfortunate & I bet someone is getting their arse kicked over it.

bruneep

hora
    Free Member

If buying a car now I always want to see and verify everything before signing over even if I’m being hurried along. 2 previous owners can turn into its actually 3, etc.not a biggie but it grates. Plus if its a company name. Who Is it etc.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

If they are dicking around find another car. It’s not worth the hassle if it doesn’t turn up etc.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I love STW, but some of the rubbish written on here & the constant backslapping of the regulars make me miss the old days, don’t get me wrong, progress is a wonderful thing, just maybe it’s not for me 😉

hora
    Free Member

Flounce then but do it quietly. Saying that all the drama queens talk it up like you

robdob
    Free Member

It could have been repossessed by the dealers, owner threw his toys out of the pram because of this?
    Buorcracy at the previous lease company holding it up?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hora, I so want to copy and paste our last email correspondence on the V5 subject in reply, but I really can’t be bothered to ruin a thread, so I’ll just flounce semi vocally.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah come on now, don’t be shy

agent007
    Free Member

How about just asking for a good old fashioned discount for the trouble. If this isn’t forthcoming, just cancel the sale.

dazz
    Free Member

Can the garage actually tax it for you now with the new rules? I didn’t think they could.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

daze – Member
    Can the garage actually tax it for you now with the new rules? I didn’t think they could.

Yes, as long as they have the new keeper supliment part of the V5.

Woody
    Free Member

Classic STW when a ‘layman’ argues with someone who actually know what he’s talking about !

How’s the vaping 2unfit 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

woody, good dude, 2 years 2 months & still enjoying it 🙂
    Edit, in reply to the below, throat hit is down to nic content & pg v vg, pg gives better throat hit. The kids are all about vapour production now so that’s where we’re heading.

Woody
    Free Member

Good man. I’m still off and on and struggling with throat hit and flavours. Going to try some of the evo/purity (Halo) stuff that I’ve just heard about.

Ps sorry for hijack OP

richellicott
    Free Member

I used to be a car salesman (The less said the better) and it could be something as simple as the previous owner not wanted to pay for a replacement log book. The dealership shouldn’t have taken ownership of the car without it in the first place and certainly can’t sell it on without one.
    It could also just have gotten lost at the dealership or lost when the car was transferred from one site to another, but they shouldn’t have the car on sale without it.
    I would probably give them till the Friday to have it sorted but think about cancelling, if the finance agreement is less than a month old it can be cancelled with no adverse affect on your credit. I would pester them though as, in my experience, these sort of things get ignored and all the people that can actually get anything done won’t be there at the weekend

hora
    Free Member

2unfit if the owner didn’t give them the V5 how would they be able to tear off that section?

In general life..- If any form of pertinent documentation can’t be seen it needs to be seen before taking possession. True?

Email/you mean post.

OP you’ll be offered loads of assures etc pre sale. Post sale the shoe may be on the other foot.

I tend to buy privately. Some good honest traders out their marred by the pile em /sell fast crowd.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

hora,
    My reply was to daze asking a question, I have also said I wouldn’t buy the car in question if it could not be taxed.

I agree about the documentation.

Nope, I meant email.

Cheers.

hora
    Free Member

You’ve been emailing someone else about V5’s fella.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I haven’t, although this was back In 2008! 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Buying a used Car, however the Garage has now lost log book.’ is closed to new replies.