Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Buying a static caravan on the continent (the Ardennes or Aachen)
  • SaxonRider

We can’t really afford a second house, although I would eventually love to buy an old farmhouse somewhere in the Ardennes, near Rochefort or Namur.

So in the meantime, we are thinking about getting a static caravan over there, and would ideally like to do so in time for the 2016 summer holiday, rather than spending the money on a camping trip PLUS buying a caravan.

This may all be impossible, though, and I am wondering what the potential hazards are.

Any static caravan owners on here? Anyone care to comment?

I would especially love to hear from people who have lived/spent time in Belgium or Northwestern Germany in terms of practicalities of buying. etc.

So ultimately, any thoughts about location or static caravans or a combination of the two would be appreciated.

SaxonRider

Bump for the morning crowd

RoterStern
    Free Member

Do you really want to spend every holiday on the same campsite? Some people like the familiarity but I prefer seeing different places.
    Edit. Plus the ‘Dauercampers’ in Germany really are a special breed!

trademark
    Free Member

Can’t help with your query, sorry, but would you not consider leaving a (large) touring caravan on a site in the Ardennes? Then, should you wish, you can always vary your location.

Good luck, I’m envious 🙂

olddog

I have a feeling that stactics in France tend to be bought as investment from companies/campsites who provide managed letting services. So I guess you would need to look at likely income and any restrictions on when or how long you could stay.

SaxonRider

Do you really want to spend every holiday on the same campsite? Some people like the familiarity but I prefer seeing different places.

I think we would see it more as a base from which to explore Northern Europe, much like we would if we could afford a proper house there.

And we have spent every summer since 2004 visiting a new country or area, so it’s not like we would be sorely limiting our experience.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP, I will ask the wife (French and family in real estate). My comments based on UK familiy members experience here is that the practicalities and economics are not that great. You own the caravan but not the land. The landowner charges fees for the site, electric etc. The landowner takes a cut if/when you want to sell. The caravan devalues to zero over time. My gut feel is that all these annual fees would pay for a lot of days camping or gites rental.

If you want to progess it Mrs B could read a draft contract for you. Do you have a website link we could look at ?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I think trademark has a good idea. Perhaps better to get a big touring caravan which you can move around yourself if need be. It is what most Germans and Austrians do. They usually build a type of car port or ‘carvan port’ over them, too. Campsites seem to want to get rid of the long term campers in IME as the whole camping scene is really exploding and they can make more money on short term campers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Buying a static caravan on the continent (the Ardennes or Aachen)’ is closed to new replies.