Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Buying a bike which is a size too big
  • monostereo
    Free Member

Hi all, i was looking at a bike last night (bronson V2) which was a really good deal and in pefect nick. Had a ride around a car park and it seems fine, but after jumping off realised it was a large, not a medium as i had thought.

According to the sizing chart for the bike i’m bang in the middle of a medium (i’m 5’7), with large starting at 5’10, so i passed on the bike.

Wondering if i made a mistake or not as the bike seemed to fit, but i guess riding around a car park isn’t really comparable to travelling down a mountain? would i have been daft to buy the bike? Apart from it saying “L” on the frame it seemed to be the perfect bike for me. 🙁

daern
    Free Member

Can’t speak for the Bronson, but my Tallboy fits me a treat. I’m 5ft 11″ and it’s a large too – the chap in the shop said that SCs can be a little on the small side, so sizing up isn’t that uncommon.

monostereo
    Free Member

yeah i’ve heard a few people mention that. I think the mk2 bronson is a bit longer in reach and it does seem that i’m way off the borderline between sizes according to the chart, so that’s what stopped me buying it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s the right size for you.

I’ve been sizing up for a few years now and am still alive, so go for it.

monostereo
    Free Member

haha. that’s actually what i want to hear. i’m really keen on the bike and the seller is down the street from me 🙂

I worry that although the bike appears to be an OK fit it will do untold dammage to my knees or something after prolonged use :S

tomhoward

It’s a mountain bike, you move about on it far too much for size to be that much of an issue. If it feels ok, it is ok. Only caveat to that is make sure you can reach the pedals with the dropper at full extension (or, if not, a shorter one is available at least)

monostereo
    Free Member

hmm. well it’s just the sizing chart that puts me off as i’m only 5’7 and a large is for 5’10 onwards. I guess it’s less of an issue on an MTB then buying the wrong size roadbike?

tomhoward

Massively less. Roadies spend hours in the same position. Mtbers maybe half an hour max, and its a much more relaxed position at that, esp on a bronson

weeksy

It all comes down to preference.

99% would say my Whyte is too small for me…. I’d disagree… My Parkwood is about 20X bigger… but i like that too !

prawny

Reach is still quite short on the large, as long as you can fit a dropper (if you want to) no reason to not size up.

5thElefant
    Free Member

According to the geometry chart…

The L is 25mm longer than a M. That’s it. Everything else is the same.

I bet you couldn’t even tell the difference jumping from an M to an L.

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s the seat tube height and what’s your inside leg?

Do you ride a lot of steep trails?

nickdavies

Seat tube is also quite a bit longer (470 instead of 435). I size up to get the reach I like but invariably end up a little bit high as I’m long arms short legs.

If he’s only down the street can you not borrow it for an hours ride? My spesh is too big for me in the seat tube to get the length and I really don’t like it – wish I’d properly demoed rather than just buy on numbers.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Seat tube is also quite a bit longer (470 instead of 435).

Yeah, I assumed as the OP had ridden it he would have noticed any crotch/top tube interface issues already.

monostereo
    Free Member

it seemed fine with the dropper post fully extended. hmm. Now i’m confused 😀

NormalMan

It must be the day for it. There was a thread about Scandal sizing (potential purchaser was 6′ and caught between M and L on the size guide and I typed the following as a reply:

I’m half an inch shorter but it sounds like you have same issue I often find. The caught between to sizes curse!

I have 2 29er hardtails. One slightly too small. The fits great but probably looks slightly too big. It’s the goldilocks syndrome 😆

Long and short of it (see what I did there…) if it fits, then go for it!

richmtb

Standover height and reach are more important than the nominal size.

If you can comfortably stand over it and the reach feels okay then go for it.

Sizes are hardly standardized I’ve got small, medium and large frames and they all “fit”

prawny

If it’s fine with the post fully extended then go for it.

Maybe see how hard it is to pop the front wheel up but really that is going to be about it.

monostereo
    Free Member

thanks for the answer guys. I think i might go for it. worst case scenario i can always sell it on i guess!

oldnpastit

I’m 5’8″. I rented an SC Bronson V2 medium, and it was perfect. I wouldn’t have wanted it any larger.

four
    Free Member

A large is likely too big for you.

I’m 5’7 and between a small and a medium. Road bike I’m 53.

monostereo
    Free Member

double post

monostereo
    Free Member

hmm thanks chaps. maybe i’ll give it a miss then.

daern
    Free Member

Honestly, based on my experience on mine, I would say a medium might well be better. If the deal is good though… 😉

legend
    Free Member

weeksy – Member

It all comes down to preference.

This, don’t get hung up on the small/medium/large label. e.g. the guy on facebook the other day that’s running what appears to be a 100mm stem on his as he didn’t want a large, but wanted it to feel like a large 🙄

Royston
    Free Member

Surely you really need to ride both sizes to be sure which is the best ‘fit’

daern
    Free Member

Surely you really need to ride both sizes to be sure which is the best ‘fit’

Maybe, but that can be hard when buying used and there’s only one there and, even then, a short demo ride doesn’t always show up the differences.

I agree that it matters less on an MTB than on a road bike (although a longer stem works wonders even here!) but it’s still worth getting the right size. Personally, I’ve always preferred a smaller, lighter bike, but I love my large Tallboy and it feels perfect for me now.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I do wish more manufacturers would follow the example of Canyon and offer the same size bike, but with a choice of two top tube lengths.

ehrob

What Royston said.

Santa Cruz’s do come up smaller than some other brands but whilst I get that there is a degree of flexibility, I don’t understand how someone who’s 5 foot 7 is best suited to a large.

Might I controversially suggest that if you’re spending a four figure sum of cash on a bike you get the one that’s the right size?

FYI I’m pretty sure 5 minutes ago people were sizing down.

leffeboy

would you be even considering it if it wasn’t ‘a good deal’? If the answer is no then you should probably walk as 3 weeks in you’ll be worrying that you made a mistake

oikeith

Im 6.1 and took an XL ex demo bike from a shop as a good deal. Didnt even try the large, fell for the old, you cant add material to a top tube but can get longer stems from a road cycling employee in the store.

One year later I have now picked up a new bike in a large and it fits like a glove and handles how I thought a bike should.

The car park test doesn’t really cut it, it was only when hitting steep or twisty terrain did i notice the bike was too big for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

If the seat tube is 470mm then it’s probably right on the edge of what you could get away with.

You will notice it when dropping the saddle, it might not feel low enough on very steep bits.

If you’re not riding steep stuff, I don’t think there’s much downside personally.

I am the same height as you and usually go for large bikes, but I’m very careful about the seat tube length.

HTH

tillydog
    Free Member

The S/M/L sizing is all over the place – you need to look at the numbers* to get a true idea of the size:

According to the link above, the Large Bronson has shorter reach (428mm) than my Medium Process (435mm), a Small T130 (432mm) or a Small Aeris 145 (433mm).

The stack, at 594mm for both Medium and Large is 11mm less than the Medium Process (605mm), 5mm more than a Medium T130 (589mm), and between a Medium and a Medium/Long Aeris 145 (589mm / 599mm respectively).

Stand-over (733mm) is considerably higher than the Process (650mm in Medium) or even the Extra Large Aeris 145 (704mm), but is lower than the Small T130 (763mm).

Compare the reach and stack numbers from what you’ve been riding to those of the Bronson – those are the numbers that define how you fit on the bike – and if it *feels* right, then go for it! 🙂

*Caveat: the numbers for everything except the Bronson are from notes I made when bike buying a couple of months ago, so could be in error.

funkmasterp

Standover height and reach are more important than the nominal size

Just to throw the proverbial spanner in the works, standover is something I’ve never bothered about on a MTB. I have short legs and long arms (imagine ET when he’s ill) and never had issues. I don’t ever really stand and straddle the bike when riding and when I fall off it’s normally in spectacular fashion. Never caught my balls on a top tube. YMMV

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah it’s seat tube height and reach for me, not standover.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Bottom line is it’s not a bargain if it doesn’t fit and at 5ft 7 a large bike would normally be a size too big for you . Ultimately only you know how it feels but if that’s based on a quick spin round the block rather than a proper off road ride then you may not have all the information that you need to make that decision in which case the manufacturers sizing guide may be more help when making the decision.

Northwind

My main bike is one size “too large”- it’s still a fairly compact frame but it gave me the reach and wheelbase I wanted, I’d not be as happy with the right size. Sizes are just a guideline… But you do need to be careful especially in these days of weirdly tall seatmasts etc.

in fact the only time I’ve really been unhappy with sizing was back when people used to say “get a small one so you can throw it around”, bloody stupid idea.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i bought a large Blur XC once, it was too big, I’m 5’7″ if it helps

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    My main bike is one size “too large”

To be fair this is more like 1 1/2 sizes too big .

squealer
    Free Member

I find a lot of manufacturers size guides are off.

I’m 5’8″ so a medium on most manufacturers guides.

I’ve got a medium mojo hd3 but could easily ride a large and that would probably fit better.

I previously had a large Ripley which fitted perfectly. Medium was way too small.

I’ve got a medium yeti sb6c which fits like a glove as their size chart said it would.

I Just bought a used medium transition scout frame which is too small, I definitely need a large but the guide says medium is good for up to 5’11”.

So, the bike Feeling the right size is more important than following the manufacturers guide.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Buying a bike which is a size too big’ is closed to new replies.