Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Buying a second hand downhill bike
  • tall_martin

Finally I’m going to buy a dh bike!

I’ve wanted one for 2 alps trips and I’m going to shell out for one this year.

I’ve narrowed it down to a few on pink bike.

The choice is newer and mass produced (2012 ish)

or older with bits that were more expensive originally.

Any suggestions as to which to go for?

Cheers!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not really but expect to do a service on the forks and maybe the shock regardless. There are not that many bad bikes out there, if you can’t visit them for inspection/pickup then just be aware of bearing replacement etc.

It’s also hard to judge what sort of use things have had, DH bikes might have done a few uplifts or been thrashed and pushed up everything in sight, so probably find the one that somebody got on a whim and now the missus has given them that look.

Northwind

Once you go back a few years, a lot of bikes end up with what in modern terms is pretty crappy- my Dare frinstance was a really nice (but ugly) bike when it came out but in 2011 I put it in the garage beside a 160mm bike that was longer and slacker- it just didn’t get a look in and got sold after about 3 rides as it’d been so left behind. So be careful, do research. Not all older bikes have suffered like that, there’s a few that were just ahead of the curve

Oh and purely to astroturf the thread, I’m got a medium Last Herb DH (2012 I think) and a 15.5 Orange 224 Evo frame (with CCDB coil) to sell, and a set of R2C2 Boxxers to match. All that’s missing is wheels and drivetrain as they’re going on another bike… The Herb is fast and racy, the 224’s slower but I think more fun 😉 I just can’t justify keeping a dh bike for the limited use I give them

tall_martin

Cheers for that,

Northwind, Cheers for that, I’m after a large/ extra large as I’m 6″3.

If I end up on some duff forks I might drop you a line

🙂

MSP

How much are you looking to spend? When I looked into it last year I was budgeting about 1100 for second hand, but decided to go for the canyon torque frx whipzone for 1699 new (although I think they are a bit more expensive this year).

acehtn
    Free Member

Without knowing what your looking at model and brand wise….

Anyway, the geo changes between current bikes and bikes several season old may or may not be a deal breaker.

If your after a big rig for smiles and used to older steeper geo then go for that.

If your after a big rig, and intend to compete in races then get the modern bike…..if you get on with the long low stance, low bb height and slack angles.

A point of research for you.
    If you have contacted/enquired after a bike and have the sellers real name 🙂
    Pop over to http://www.rootsandrain.com type the sellers name in and it will bring up there BC/UCI race history and also a gallery of any race photo’s.
    So you might find matching images of bike for sale being raced and dates of races.
    Handy little research tool there 🙂

tall_martin

Cheers MSP!

I’ve bought the canyon!

biggold hills, I’d have prefered the yt just for the greenness, theres not much in it at all.

Pictures next week.

MSP, IOU a pint, or how about a free playstaion one 🙂

Speeder

That’s a great deal – there’s some top kit on that Canyon and you won’t lose much if you decide you don’t like it and split it after the holiday.

Have fun.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Buying a second hand downhill bike’ is closed to new replies.