Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Buying a new heads – guessing a correct size?
  • medoramas
    Free Member

Is there a way of identifying what headset I need (sizewisely) without removing the existing one and then measuring the diameters of the frame & cup?

All I know it is some semi-integrated FSA thing, 1 1/8 steerer:

Thank you!

nixie

Find the spec of the bike from the manufacturer?

medoramas
    Free Member

I’ve tried, but no real help there… “EGG S-Bearing” – this is what they say.

coomber
    Free Member

What’s the bike make model and year?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

take it to a bike shop?

twisty

Find the spec of the headset for your frame using google search?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

First do you need a new head set of just bearings and a clean?
    Second easiest way is whats the bike? Also what is the gap inbetween the cap and the headset?
    If you got the bike from a shop pop back in and ask them, not sounding condecending but if you don’t know how to tell what headset you have do you know how to fit one or have the tools?

timba
    Free Member

Any/all of the above
    There’s a database here…

rOcKeTdOg

Read the bearing size that’s usually written on the bearing?

timba
    Free Member

I’ll try that again
    There’s a database here…

medoramas
    Free Member

@timba – many thanks for that, it has found my headset in few seconds!

It’s not the bearings I want to replace (I’ve done it few times), but the whole thing. And yes – it will be an LBS fitting it! However when I went there last time they said “a week wait, as we need to order the headset, or bring your own and we’ll fit it in a couple of hours”. So if I know what to buy I can shop around to find something nice 😆

twisty

Just out of interest, how much are they charging you for prying off the old crown race and sliding on the new parts?

medoramas
    Free Member

Last time they did it for me (about 2 years ago) they charged me something like 10 quid and did it while I was waiting there.

coomber
    Free Member

I love bike shops, they do all the stuff I don’t know how to without hassle.

BUT…

If they want you to buy the headset and you have to pay a tenner to fit it, I would just buy a headset press or make one and do it yourself. It’s about the easiest thing you can do at home yourself.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Buying a new heads – guessing a correct size?’ is closed to new replies.