Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Buying a new car – To PCP or not to PCP?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’m switching from a job with a company car scheme to one without and have to buy a car. I have no idea on finance etc as not had to look at it for a sometime. So I’m after some advice from the STW collective wisdom

I went into a dealer yesterday and they chucked some figures in front of me which didn’t look outside of my budget – but I’m thinking they may be on the high side.

For PCP on a new car, is there much difference between getting rates from a dealer or elsewhere?

(Shit – put it in the wrong forum – Mods??)

RickDraper
    Free Member

Have a look at the deals from:

https://www.orangewheels.co.uk
    http://www.broker4cars.co.uk

Then go back to the dealer and nail their hat on.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Got a good deal fairly recently via Car Wow

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

Why not a lease deal?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Don’t buy a new car?

sync
    Free Member

Loads of good PCP deals but you need to find the dealers who deal and get prepared to negotiate.

If buying new, use carwow.co.uk as I have found the dealers who sell/make offers on there to have the best finance deals too.

So many variables without knowing your budget and what you need it is difficult to advise.

riddoch

The deals also change roughly each quarter.
    I have been looking at soda Octavia’s and last month they were on 0% and £1000 dealer contribution, this quarter they are on 2.9% and £2000. Also via carwow the discount was pretty consistent at about 8%, this quarter there are a couple of dealers offering 12% discount on as new price.
    The skoda dealers seem to be a bit less salespersony, the Volkswagen dealer was much more need to do a deal today, someone else is looking at the car and a lot less transparent about interest rate. The only way I could get his figures to work was an apr of about 13%.
    I think PCP works best if you are keeping the monthly cost down and intending changing your car regularly, you still have to find the balance to pay at the end of the deal and they residual figure always seems to be calculated to give you something towards the next car deposit.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Sync, I wanted to keep the trolls at bay by not mentioning details, but since you ask. I’m looking at an A4 Avant S-Line. Budget I have is about £400 per month.

I might check out Carwow as sounds interesting – is this just different dealers auctioning themselves off?

hora
    Free Member

Trolls? That’s rude. Why not question why chose a new car? Does it HAVE to be new?

That way you could aim for something, aspire to a better car that a Skoda/Vag I.e Merc E etc

Superficial
    Free Member

Have a hunt around online. If you keep your options open and aren’t too fussy about model / spec then you’re likely to find a better deal. I definitely wouldn’t advise going into a dealer unless you know what deals are around online and you have a hard bargaining face on.

Have a look at lease deals too. I had one and it seems like a good option to me. Ling’s cars or mine was through gateway2lease.

It’s worth thinking about how long you intend to keep the car for, and then the total cost of ownership in that time. Do some sums. Don’t get ripped off. There is talk about used car PCP coming imminently as well.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hora, looked at second hand but to get what I want/need would cost similar. I’m doing about 20k a year and need something comfortable that I enjoy spending time in. Did look at saving some cash by going for mazda/skoda/ford/volvo but not found anything I like as much as the a4 I’ve got, except the mazda was unexpectedly good value

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yes if you want a new car and to be able to change it for another new car every few years. You’d be a fool to buy.

Why not lease? good question, but PCP is like leasing but you have options at the end of your period rather than just handing the car back and starting another lease with another downplayent. With PCP deals the car acts as your next downpayment/PX. And with our PCP between the warranty and the 4 year free servicing pack (that was chucked in free as part of the deal) it should be cost free motoring apart from petrol, insurance and tax.

The only decision you need to make is do you want a brand new car and to change it for another brand new car every few years? If the answer to that question is yes, then definitely either go for a PCP deal or a Leasing deal. You’d be an utter crazy fool to buy. Buy a car if you want to keep it for 10 years, but if you want to swap it for another new car eery few years then don’t buy.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Been having a look and there are some interesting prices out there. Thanks for the tips.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Re: Car Wow. give it a go, nothing to loose.
    Essentially yes you just get dealers nationwide offering their best price on your specified model.

Saved 4k off list on a 20+k Seat Leon.

tinybits
    Free Member

I was quite surprised how much bmw’s pcp deal was. I wanted a 125d that was sat on thier forecourt with 50miles on the clock loads of options on it and £6k off list. I could get the same, brand new for £435/month, over 3 years and 75k miles. to match that, I had to put £5k deposit down, and there looked to be virtually no equaty in the car at the end of 3 years to offset that against.
    In the end I bought cash, just so much cheaper than any other way.
    Whatever you do, ask around for lease deals, do not go with the first one Audi guote you.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Just to add to my post: the used car pcp deals on the same model worked out at more than the new car.
    Apparently” new cars are discounted further to increase new car sales numbers”.

Personally with modern cars anything approaching 5yr old isn’t worth the hassle.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I started looking at 12-18month old cars on a 4 year loan but the cost was about the same as new but you wouldnt end up with a 5-6 yr old car at the end.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

FWIW, Ling’s cars are helluva cheap too: http://www.lingscars.com/

I especially love their 1990s-style website, but they are reputable and do offer good prices.

somouk
    Free Member

I had PCP from BMW when I changed car but picked an 18 month old demo car on a two year deal which worked out well. Mercedes always seem to like negotiations over PCP deals so worth asking them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Buying a new car – To PCP or not to PCP?’ is closed to new replies.