Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Buying a new car …… How hard ?
  • renton
    Free Member

I’m starting to get a bit frustrated really.

I’ve been trying to buy a new car via a local dealer and had managed to try and get him to lower the price on his car to match one or two I had had from car wow.

I have spoke to him on the phone a couple of Times and the last call with him earlier this week I explained that I am deploying with the RAF on Wednesday and that I would need to conclude the deal by email to which he replied that would be no problem.

I was expecting an email yesterday to give me his final figures and a solid px value for my car.

No email came. So I emailed him again last night to chase it and fully expected an email back today but I’ve had nothing.

Am I expecting to much or is this normal ?

Cheers.

Steve.

LHS
    Free Member

Did you pick up the phone or pop and in and speak to him? Emails really are the worst form of communication.

renton
    Free Member

Eh ? Did you read what I have wrote ?

piemonster

I have spoke to him on the phone a couple of Times

Did you pick up the phone

I’m undecided on reading fail or OP stealth edit

piemonster

Damn you to hell, beaten to it!

renton
    Free Member

No edit here

LHS
    Free Member

I was expecting an email yesterday to give me his final figures and a solid px value for my car.

No email came. So I emailed him again last night to chase it and fully expected an email back today but I’ve had nothing.

Am I expecting to much or is this normal ?

So pick up the phone again. 🙄

kcal

I read it that the initial negotiation was by phone, but that the OP would be, and is now, out of phone contact hence email..

Sounds like he (dealer) either wasn’t that bothered in your custom, or took your “out of the country” note as a negotiating tactic that may or not be true..

Was it still the AC / Sk*** dealer in INV, Steve? Ha! I had some initial dealings with them. I didn’t buy a car from them.. Wasn’t impressed by commitment or attitude.

bearnecessities

To be fair, you seem to make all decisions quite hard 🙂

(Says that man that has taken 2 years to buy some windows)

mattyfez

Yeh, have you called them by phone since?

As in since you didn’t get a reply to your email?

It’s a bit slack of them to not reply.. But car dealers are not always tech savy so you could be a bit more proactive.. If you don’t get a positive impression from a further phone call I’d maybe think about looking elsewhere.

Maybe he’s cooled off on the deal if the discount was eating his margin more than he’d like.

renton
    Free Member

Yes it’s Arnold Clark in inv.

Surely by Me chasing it shows I’m interested

hora
    Free Member

Renton go elsewhere. He doesn’t want your business.

Stay safe for your deployment 🙂 x

Edit Arnold Clark. Dude no. Just no. I still remember one of their Sales Managers trying to shout at me when I popped in to enquire about a promised second key. I stayed calm and he crumbled. Shocked by the way I was dealt with and I noted AC wasn’t a main dealer there much longer afterwards.

kcal

Another handful of thoughts:
    1/ they’ve had other interest which means they’re not that keen on your sale any more
    2/ they’re not that good
    3/ they’re wary of conducting a sale when you’re no longer around to follow it through
    4/ they are really not that good
    5/ they may also be working shifts – if you’ve emailed one guy, he may not be in the office for a few days
    6/ if it was the guy I spoke to by phone and in person, good luck.. he wasn’t interested really. Tried to sell me what they had, not what I was asking for..

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

They’ve probably heard you’re a pain in the arse.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

i think it’s fairly standard that the majority (not all) car salespeople are fairly incompetent at what they do.

in the past 5 years i’ve changed my car 4 times (changing jobs, promotions, moving to fleet from cash allowance etc) and most of the time ive found you’re made to feel that they’re doing you a favour just by giving you a test drive.

i work in sales and i know the customer isn’t always king, but you have to make it easy for them to have a chance at buying what youre selling.

recent highlights include the sales not being to answer any of my questions about the car (nothing taxing – mpg, service costs etc), not being allowed to drive the car i wanted to buy and having to be a passenger on the test drive, being kept waiting for almost an hour to meet with the sales boss to negotiate and,my personal favourite, being told i’m not a priority customer and having to go on the waiting list for the waiting list (it was a bog standard nissan quashqi not some bespoke aston martin ffs)

i’ve spoken to a couple of mates who have worked in that sector and they reckon it’s down to the fact they get paid bugger all and worked like dogs with challenging targets. apparently most mainstream dealers go for a sink or swim approach when it comes to sales staff – no training, no support, not that selective in recruitment etc. now this only based ion a few peoples opinions supposedly in the know, but makes sense. pay peanuts, get monkeys

wanmankylung
    Free Member

See the email that you sent – was it passive aggressive?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You’ve shown him that you’re intersted and now he’s taken his foot off the gas as you’re a safe bet. Maybe if you’d have been a bit more aloof, he’d have had to fight a bit more for your business.
    Fancy a game of poker one night?

cheers_drive

As a member of the forces do you not get preferential car schemes? An acquaintance of mine has a company selling Volvo and JLR cars to service personnel

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, check out forces cars direct Renton. I recently used motor source group who are an emergency services targeting off shoot of FCD, and they were excellent. (And since you’re in Inverness, I recently used the Macrae and Dick Toyota dealership for a service and they were also excellent to deal with).

Ben_H

OP: why not actually just use carwow?

I did just that: and concluded all the necessary stuff by phone and e-mail, before only collecting the car in person. All this haggling with dealers adds no value to the process, when you can already get the best price via the web.

br
    Free Member

tbh, what’s the rush – wait until you get back.

bruneep

did the car wow local dealer and next dealer 60 miles away.

got 5 prices from car wow, local dealer just didn’t listen to what I wanted to buy only interested in pushing a certain model so I walked.

Called next dealer 60 miles away after a chat and a couple of emails to confirm specs and pricing I concluded deal over phone within 20 mins they were way cheaper than car wow without me haggling to get them down below the lowest price I could get online. They gave me the metallic colour at no extra cost.

Overall dealing over the phone was easy.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve used car wow and got a good price from a dealer down south but they are a 14 hour round trip away.

I’ve also been in contact with the people that do military sales and yes they can do the car a lot cheaper but there finance isn’t 0% like the skoda dealer is.

I’ve tried to get the dealer to give me his best figures after I had let him know about the military sales quote I had. Apparently he is waiting for the military sales chap to email him the deal so he can put his own offer to me.

hora
    Free Member

Why the rush?

What incentive does the military guy have to email his sale away to someone else to beat?

I’d wait. In nine months you’re mind will be on something else after abit of time to think.

renton
    Free Member

So I’m finally giving up on this dealer.

I’ve been waiting 4 days for figures that were promised but have to materialize.

Total waste of time.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Buying a new car …… How hard ?’ is closed to new replies.