Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • buying a motor (Accord) with hail damage….. yay or nay?
  • alpin
    Free Member

specifically this one:

Honda Accord

hard to see on the pics… guy says it would cost about 1600€ to repair, nt sure if i could be asked.

going to have a look tomorrow.

fair bit of cash, but would go in at around 6k.

low mileage (apporx. 41000 miles).

anything i should look out for with Accords?

cheers in advance.

alpin
    Free Member

wrong forum, sorry!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Pretty bullet proof, but a mediocre drive. Boot is no use for bikes as roof is too low. Watch out for clutch master cylinder issues and clutch. Ours went at 24 k miles. More issues with the civic versions of the engines 2.2 cdti. Its down to the clutch cylinder not going all the way and the clutch slipping a bit although not that noticeable. Very long car. We dont miss ours at all.

alpin
    Free Member

hmmm…

read some old threads last night and almost each one was singing the Accord’s praises, esp. when it came to loading….

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I’ve 54 plate- bought at 66,000 miles and £3600.

Had it for 15months now. All good apart from wear and tear parts (drop links, brake pads etc). Quite happy with the drive, bit sluggish on sustained hills but it does ok! 2l petrol, 35mpg sometimes areound 40.

Handy for the bike, takes it complete with seats down or wheels off seats up- had three and three passengers but roof height can limit.

tonyg2003

The good points with the MKVII accord is that it doesn’t have a diesel particle filter. They do suffer from cracked manifolds (Honda fix them), dual mass flywheels and some turbo problems but no more than other diesels.

Hail damage? It has to be significantly lower price than some others to make it worthwhile.

DaveRambo

I have one – but not the sport version.
    Boot is great – largest in the class – without wheels bikes fit sideways so you can get 2 in there without having to lower the back seats.

Ours is a family car so is OK to drive – if you try and put your foot down it’s average but I have the auto. The sport will be better.

It is very long but you get used to it. I’ll be replacing ours with another I like it that much.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Early diesels had bad engine issues at around 100,000 miles. 3 lease cars at work had to be ‘retired’ due to imminent motor catastrophes.

Many, many thousands when they go wrong too.

Be careful.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

The TypeAccord forum will detail common faults

hora
    Free Member

For that sort of money I’d buy something else.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’d only buy a petrol Accord as the diesels have far more issues than the petrols.

Mines great, huge boot, acres of space, loads of toys, OK on fuel, really comfortable on long journeys etc etc. Better than my Volvo’s or Saabs.

107k it’s just passed it’s MOT without any advisories and recent main dealer service was 280.00 again no advisories. Reliability is never a concern for me.

It’s not fun like a hot hatch would be but it’s a pleasure to take the family on long journeys in comfort and safety which is what, after all, it’s designed for.

Very good sound system by the way.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have an accord tourer than I bought new in 2005. It’s a 2.2 diesel exec spec. I don’t know how anyone could say the boot is useless for bikes, mine goes with both wheels on just with the double seat folded.

Check the auto boot function works to open the boot from the key fob, if it just beeps and doesn’t open then the motor is on the way out.

In 8 years and 109,000 miles only issue I’ve had is a seized rear calliper, vsa fault and light stays on but system still works (it’s around £150 to get the unit reprogrammed), rear discs don’t last that long.

Umm it’s comfy, reasonable mpg,, nice enough to drive, that’s it really.

Northwind

I tested one of those, it seemed really well put together, pleasant place to spend time, all that good stuff. Incredibly dull and soulless, which isn’t a bad thing necessarily, but not for me. But a good car I reckon

hora
    Free Member

Re my comment I mean for the money I think the dinged car is overpriced.

tonyg2003

I had two 2.2 i-cdti and put almost 150K miles on between them. It was a mixed bag. One company car (typically!) was faultless and the other (personal purchase) had major turbo and manifold issues. We now have a MKVIII “lifestyle estate” (they aren’t the biggest!) and due to the lower mileage that we do now, we’ve got a petrol. It’s been faultless.

jeffl

Yes that looks expensive but don’t know if they go for more in Germany. I think most of the common faultsit arelistedabove. But here’s my mental list:
    – clutch can go and costs circa £1000 for honda garage to sort
    – manifold can crack. Honda uk warrentied them for 5 or 6 years or 100,000 miles whichever came first
    – rear brake callipers can seize
    – abs or asm sensor can go which means mot failure in UK
    – electric boot can go
    – clutch pedal can squeak
    – non his headlights are a bit pants
    – make sure the fuel filter is changed every other service with a genuine Honda one
    – don’t scrimp on oil changes and use the correct oil weight

Typeaccord website has loads of useful info. I currently have one and would buy another

PS awful spelling and typos are because I m using the phone

alpin
    Free Member

cheers people…
    i feel that it has a little more flare than a Mondeo, plus there are not that Mondeos with leather seats aroun d with low mileage. all motors are strangely ore expensive here in Schermany… even Beemers, Audis and Mercs hold their value, esp considering over 70% of the motors on the road are from German manufacturers.

it’s either one of these (Here is another one i am consiering – great apart from the colour!), an Avensis (dull?) or a 5 series estate (E39 0r E61, but prob E61 due to lower mileage).

i’m not after a “driving experience”. i intend to cruise along at 65mph with two or three bikes in the back on a friday evening and cruise down south for the weekend.

what else should i be looking at?

thanks for your comments

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

People who say the boots great, obviously don’t go 4 up with all the bikes vertical in the boot, without having to strip seatposts and bars etc. Something I could do in a Mondeo with ease.

hora
    Free Member

Alpin why not buy one here and take it back over?

TBH the Avensis drives a wee bit better than the Accord. Nothing in it really at all.

alpin
    Free Member

there are not that many LHD motors in the UK that meet what i want.

i did have a look when i was last over,but i didn’t have the time nor inclination to trapse across half the country to look at a motor i may not buy.

then there is the hassle of getting the German equivalent of the MOT.

Northwind

hora – Member

TBH the Avensis drives a wee bit better than the Accord. Nothing in it really at all.

Only used a couple of Avensis estates but the boots were terrible in both of them… Nice otherwise. The new one we’ve got for work is very nice actually.

hora
    Free Member

Pop down to Rammstein and see if any servicemen (or families) are selling? Bet theres a forum with for sale/returning home serviceman etc always selling..

Gary_M
    Free Member

I tested an avensis when I was buying the accord, avensis wasn’t well put together and didn’t notice a better driving experience. I wouldn’t choose the avensis over the accord.

– rear brake calipers can seize – yep, had one and I think the other is seizing but in for a service next week
    – abs or asm sensor can go which means mot failure in UK – yep, although not necessarily an MOT fail if the tester has been looking after the car for 8 years but £150 to get the unit reprogrammed
    – electric boot can go – yep, had it fixed under warranty but on the way out again
    – clutch pedal can squeak – yep, but hardly a big deal

Thankfully I’ve only had the cheap to fix issues so far.

To be honest I expected legendary reliability from Honda so I’ve been a bit disappointed.

alpin
    Free Member

Rammstein isn’t exactly down the road… 🙂

might go look at the grey Accord later today. and maybe a couple of (E39) 5series…

awkwardkid
    Free Member

I’ve a type S (top spec petrol). Bought it 3yrs ago with 69,000 on the clock. By the end of the year it’ll have 150,000. Top it up with oil, disks and pads. Blows bulbs every now and again and is fairly quick for a big motor. Mpg 46/47 on a long run. Vtec kicks in and 7000rev it’ll be closer to 20mpg. Wish i’d bought one sooner! Stick some decent rubber on it and it handles ok to 8)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘buying a motor (Accord) with hail damage….. yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.