Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Buying a mobile from a supplier other than the network operator
  • Cletus

Hi,

I am interested in getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and want unlimited data and tethering so 3’s One plan seems the best option on the market.

If I were to buy this direct from 3 it would cost £40 per month but I can get it for £32/month from affordablemobiles.co.uk

What are the downsides (if any) of doing this? – would I miss out on any features/functions/service?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why not buy the phone SIM free? Sure you have to pay out a lump in one go, but that’s the cheapest and most versatile way of doing it.

therevokid
    Free Member

+1 peter’s comment – been doing this for years now 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

£455 Sim free
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-16GB-Smartphone/dp/B0098HNSJ6

After 15 months at £32 you’re in profit 🙂

IHN

What are the downsides (if any) of doing this? – would I miss out on any features/functions/service?

Other than what’sbeen said above, none. You’ll still get a ‘3’ branded phone and contract, you’re just getting it through a middle-man.

It’s like arranging insurance or a mortgage or whatever direct or through a broker – the final product is the same.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I got all mine from carphone warehouse as they are unbranded. The only thing your missing out on is the crap the operator puts on there

singlecrack
    Free Member

If you buy it sim free don’t forget to factor in your new sim and charges for calls texts and data

dooosuk
    Free Member

I always buy from a middle man company. Hugely better deals on offer and so have never had any problems.

Last one was from buymobiles.net, 18mth contract but 15mths cashback by redemption…so will cost me £6/mth on avg for my Samsumg smartphone and all the calls, texts & data I’ve needed (even tethered to laptop for surfing). OK, I have to send a letter every few months but the cashback is paid direct into my bank and has always been quick and easy.

Cletus

Thanks for the responses.

The reason I want the “One” plan is for the unlimited data and tethering – I do a lot of business travel and would like to be able to use tethering, Google Play Music, NetFlix, iPlayer, Tunedin etc. without worrying about data limits.

On a pay monthly SIM only deal this would cost £25/month so paying an extra £7/month would get me the phone for £168 (24 x 7).

TBH the lack of carrier cr*p sounds like a compelling reason to not buy direct from the network!

takisawa2

I go through moneysupermarket & I have used affordablemobiles before. Phone arrived next day. Much better value than going to the operator direct or SIM only.

From affordablemobiles:
    Free handest & Three OnePlan for 24 months.
    24 months x £32 = £768

From Three
    Handset = £69
    Three OnePlan for 24 months
    (24 onths x £36 = £864) = £933

SIM only:
    SIM free phone £455
    Three OnePlan SIM only deal £20 p/m x 24) = £480
    Total = £935.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Buying a mobile from a supplier other than the network operator’ is closed to new replies.