Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Buying a middleburn UNO crank do I get Isis or square taper ?
  • fozworth
    Free Member

After much thought n reading up on threads I have decided to go with a new middleburn UNO crankset for my SS build. I havnt used square taper for a long time as my last few cranks have been X- type. Is this a problem as far as reliability and weight when looking for a BB . Or is it better to go Isis version though I’ve heard a few problems with that type of bb. The rx-8 type UNO looks nice but is alot more ££ so its square taper or Isis ?
    Anyone who could help put my mind at a ease before I purchase ?cheers

Sorry I posted this in chat section by mistake for those who have read it already.

qwerty
    Free Member

Phil Wood (or similar) ST BB. IsShiteIsShite is shite. (i have ISIS, ST & them external thingeys)

allthegear
    Free Member

I keep hearing this ISIS is rubbish thing and wonder why mine works just fine…

Rachel

Joe

You’re obviously not fat enough Rachel. ISIS BB’s disintegrate.

qwerty
    Free Member

Best ISIS by STW review is Superstar Components, I have 2 Race Face signature ISIS BBs and the tools to service them, they last a lot longer if you pop new bearings seals and fill with a quality grease, though they so develop play or go notchy before any ST I’ve ever owned.

qwerty
    Free Member

PS: IIRC ISIS is the stiffist and is / was the BB of choice for DHers, but things have probably since changed.

qwerty
    Free Member

Or seek out a SKF ISIS BB stash from some dark corner of the internerd.

allthegear
    Free Member

I wish that was true, Joe!!

Stu661
    Free Member

I have RS7’s with a Superstar ISIS bottom bracket and the last one lasted two years which I was happy with compared to 11 months for SKF and no more than 4 months for Raceface or FSA.

The Superstar ones are great and only £30 you can’t go wrong.

simon1975

I’d go for Square Taper for greater longevity of the bottom bracket. The UNO is a nice system although they don’t do a steel chainring (yes you can get a spider for your own ring but I’ve broken two of those). Some people find that the Middleburn tapers are a bit soft, so go easy when you tighten them. They’re quite good with warranties though.

fozworth
    Free Member

Is there much weight difference in the Isis bb compaired to the taper ?

convert

I’ve got a variety of BBs. On the road I’m still using an ergomo power meter that uses isis (my versions anyway) bottom bracket sensors. I also had a middleburn chainset with skf isis bottom bracket. As long as you find a quality bottom bracket (and the SKF one is in my experience) there is no reason why it shouldn’t last – its the quality of the bearing not the shape ofthe interface that matters. My issue with the middleburn/skf setup was the creaking – drove me potty. In the end I got rid of the lot – no idea which bit was at fault but countless strips and refittings never sorted the issue.

Isis and octalink have had their day imo – its all about the various external setups now. The only “old skool” set-up with a continued niche following is square taper so that’s the way I’d go in your position.

fozworth
    Free Member

Cheers Simon I think its a toss up between the rs8 x-type at 220 but seems to come with 9 speed chain ring ? Or the rs7 square taper with hard coat ring for £128 mmmm

fozworth
    Free Member

Cheers convert 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Buying a middleburn UNO crank do I get Isis or square taper ?’ is closed to new replies.