Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Buying a house that's being a bit weird….
  • dribbling
    Free Member

Ok, so I’m new to this – have just about enough to put down deposit on somewhere now (thanks STW!), but really still in the learning stages despite being 34 (ever felt like you’ve wasted your life?!) of how house buying works.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-21624654.html?premiumA=true

Anyhow, I rang up about this on in August, to be told it was sold, but it’s still here….I REALLY like it & it’s potential.

So, 4 months – is this usual for a house sale to take, and if not, how do I cleverly go about approaching the agent? – Whenever I call any Estate Agent I feel like a total novice and just get fobbed off with being on a crappy mailing list.

druidh
    Free Member

It says “Sold STC” – Subject to Terms and Conditions.

dribbling
    Free Member

I thought that meant Subject to Contract?

druidh
    Free Member

Same thing? It could be like that for months depending on what the hold up is.

jam-bo

can take a lot longer.

if you like it that much, go and make an offer…

ebygomm
    Free Member

You’re assuming it’s not been sold because it’s still on rightmove?

The house we bought was on rightmove for about 10 weeks after we’d completed…

Wookster

It can take a while, or the sale may have fallen through. You can only ring and ask mate. Estate agents are sales people so should be after your business!!

If it’s fallen through though I’d ask why, survey etc. be cheeky you are the buyer!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So knock down and rebuild?

Just give them a call, if it fell through then generally there was a reason

trail_rat
    Free Member

Looks like they might be trying to get the squatters out.

Is it on a good sized prime developement land – seems expensive for a 1 bed

Perhaps sold subject to gaining planning permission to stick 2 houses on ?

dribbling
    Free Member

It is expensive, but masses of potential to go up and sidewards subject to planning.

When I called last time, saying I was a no-chain etc, there was minimal arousal – so planning on calling again, but wondered whether there was some magic phrase or tactic I was missing – TBH £125k is too much, but I don’t know how much the offer was….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ignore the other offer , decide what its worth to you.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The agents have to pass on any offer that is received whether it says sold or not. Only when contracts are signed is the deal done! Gazumping is still alive and well!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

subject to planning.

Massive words there as without it’s an overpriced hovel that will require a large amount of work and money 🙂

dribbling
    Free Member

Ignore the other offer , decide what its worth to you.

True, but that pends estimates on extending and raising to a 3 bed and don’t want to muck people about until I’ve got an ‘in’ on the property.

Would £35k roughly cover extending it upwwards one floor and marginally outwards? To the point of plastering needed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ill bet its a planning hold up.

Looks prime ground for 2 x 2 story houses to go in that plot.

Developer wont pay unless it has planning.

dribbling
    Free Member

Massive words there as without it’s an overpriced hovel that will require a large amount of work and money

I know, which is why I feel like such a bloody novice in all of this, but I cannot see any objection to planning being upheld….it may have to go through an appeal or two, but elevation wouldn’t spoil anything for anyone.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Why would it be a planning hold up? If the vendor had any sense or had received any decent advice he would have applied for outline planning before putting it on the market.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends whos buying.

Friend of the agent perhaps 😉

It does look alot like a death sale.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I feel like such a bloody novice in all of this

but I cannot see any objection to planning being upheld

Would suggest watching some grand designs…..

At this point if your up against a developer then no chance. If your buying without getting planning then its a big gamble.

You could do with having a builder to have a look with you, speaking to the planning department at least. You should be able to see if any applications have been put in.

djglover
    Free Member

It needs knocking down and starting again. You need 100K plus to make that right.

If you know people in the trade and you are a good PM you might pull it off. otherwise you are living in a damp shitty bungalow in pudsey for the next 10 years / we’ll see you on the next episode of DIY disasters / my house is falling down on C4

good luck

dribbling
    Free Member

speaking to the planning department at least. You should be able to see if any applications have been put in

I never thought of that (how stupid do I feel?) – Cheers.

Would suggest watching some grand designs…..

I did love a bit of GD, but became too full of affluent types converting chimney stacks into unique living spaces – but get the point.

I will contact Planning tomorrow, and see if any light is shed.

Seems a shame to knock down IMO, but then I have s/h experience of overly-tanned developers knocking down really beautiful homes to make way for heartless cr**.

dribbling
    Free Member

It needs knocking down and starting again. You need 100K plus to make that right.

Really? Are you in any way qualified to make that statement?!! If so, thanks and I’ll walk away now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Have you actually viewed this house in the flesh inside and out

Do not commit to anything until you have.

djglover
    Free Member

Really? Are you in any way qualified to make that statement?!!

based on what I have paid before

If you want to add another floor, its just like building a new house. 35k gets a loft extension so most of the structure will already be there. 35k would include fitting of a bathroom, but not the tiles taps and appliances etc

30k will buy a ground floor extension, 10k to fit that out nicely with a new kitchen, 20k to fit the rest of the bungalow out. thats before you go up, when you may as well knock it down and start again.

House build will be c 100K min

ebygomm
    Free Member

you will probably be able to look for any planning applications online on the council website

dribbling
    Free Member

Christ…so in essence, It’s a half decent plot for £125k?

Why on earth is it £125k then?

nealglover
    Free Member

Developer wont pay unless it has planning.

How would that work ?

It’s only the price it is because it doesn’t have planning permission yet.

Once it has planning permission granted, it’s worth more than its currently for sale at so the vendor would up the price to reflect that.

35k gets a loft extension so most of the structure will already be there. 35k would include fitting of a bathroom, but not the tiles taps and appliances etc

That’s an expensive loft conversion !!!

£25k for two large Double Bedrooms above a 4 Bed detached house.
    Both with En Suite Shower rooms (supplied/fitted/tiled/working etc)
    Both bedrooms Plastered and Painted. Dorma windows and Velux Windows.
    All insulated with 100mm Kingspan.
    Staircase Fitted and door hung.

crankboy
    Free Member

£125 plus £35 = £160 according to RightMove there are some nice houses in Pudsey on sale now for £160k including 3 beds and detached. You may be buying a lot of work for a lot of risk and very little profit.

From the look of the property last occupier died and the house represents someone’s inheritance they will have mentally valued it at the highest price they have seen for a similar refurbished house in the area. They will be a pain to negotiate with.

If you really want to go ahead get a rough idea of the maximum cost of your plans add at least 15% for contingencies (value A) work out what you expect the house as altered in that area will be worth (value B.) If you offer more than B – A you have made a big mistake.

Pudsey is a very variable area to live too and has a fair ammount of crime. Say’s the man who happily bought a flat roofed rendered semi in Potternewton without bothering with a survey.

djglover
    Free Member

Christ…so in essence, It’s a half decent plot for £125k?

Why on earth is it £125k then?

If it can fit a 3/4 bed detached on, then there is a handsome profit margin for a developer

dribbling
    Free Member

Thanks Crankboy, I agree with your analysis, which is why I’m hoping that something is going wrong and I can sneak in with an effectively cash offer after a year of trying to sell.

There is something about the plot that appeals to me, I do not want a heartless and dull property, this one seems different and I can imagine a nice house stood there, with ivy crawling up it etc etc…

Pudsey is hit ‘n’ miss I agree, but I live in a “nice area” and last year someone walked into my house, stole the keys to a nearly new focus and torched it within 4 hours!

dribbling
    Free Member

06 August 2012

Status changed: Media Tour Tour, Sold STC

12 May 2012

Price changed: £130,000 Fixed Price £124,999

13 April 2012

Price changed: from ‘£140,000’ to ‘£130,000’

30 March 2012

Brief Description changed: William H Brown are delighted to offer for sale, with no forward chain, this one double bedroom detached bungalow, DETACHED BUNGALOW which holds a wealth of potential for further development and is situated in a popular residential location of Pudsey, with access to local amenities and commuter transport links…

28 January 2012

Status changed: from ‘New Listing’ to ‘Media Tour’

20 January 2012

Initial entry found.
    Status changed: from ‘Available’ to ‘New Listing’

wrightyson
    Free Member

If it can fit a 3/4 bed detached on, then there is a handsome profit margin for a developer

Am I missing something here? 130k for the plot then you reckon 100k for the build. Where’s the “handsome profit”

takisawa2

Stick a note through the door. Play on the fact your chain free. Never know, the seller might be ready to pull the plug on a feet dragging buyer. Knock a couple of the neighbours doors. I wouldn’t trust an estate agent.

cheers_drive

Our sold STC has been up for 4 months now. The time it takes is very frustrating – I’ve learnt to make sure that no one in the chain is buying a new build – you have no control over the delays it can cause 😕

crankboy
    Free Member

I looked on street view it actually looks like a nice plot on a nice street i can see why you are interested .

If you plan to live in it the equation is different. Can you afford it and all the work plus allowance for contingencies? will you end up with something you want to live in for sufficient time for the housing market to catch up with the money you have sunk? do you see property as an investment or a home ? will your current or future life partner have the same values?

Can you fit the house you want and the garden you want on that plot?

dribbling
    Free Member

Knock a couple of the neighbours doors.

That is top advice.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

dribbling
    Free Member

This is not an investment, it is a home I want to bring up mini-dribbles in.

My plans would be to turn it into a 3 bed, and a garden to be enjoyed. From my eyes, I think this would make a nice area, house and garden.

I am not a builder, I have no friends that are, and I work in IT FFS, but I am useful with the old fingers (phnarr) and committed to getting a nice nest…this plot appeals more than anything else I’ve seen before, and means I don’t have to switch work-offices.

I will learn what I can from YouTube and hard graft, but do not want to be in a situation where I run out of money or mortgage repayment-abily where is affects the missus or future family – hence £160k is a realistic budgie.

dribbling
    Free Member

will your current or future life partner have the same values?

She’s a beautiful, wonderful, sweet, elegant, fricking nightmare…she just thinks my aims to buy a house are just an attempt to avoid children. So as a result, she’ll get what she’s offered!

{Edit: Despite the point of creating a nice nest is to bring up children in!]

djglover
    Free Member

Am I missing something here? 130k for the plot then you reckon 100k for the build. Where’s the “handsome profit”

No, but I’m not the developer here:-). Perhaps all the profit is tied up in the property price ? But houses like that might sell for 350k?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Buying a house that's being a bit weird….’ is closed to new replies.