Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Buying a flat: service charge breakdown – what looks too high?
  • brooess
    Free Member

The service charge & ground rent on the flat I want to buy is £190pcm which is putting me off. It’s a Victorian conversion with offstreet parking in front of the house but nothing special ie: no gym/secure parking/concierge, which might justify the high cost.
    The annual breakdown per flat is:

Building Insurance: £700
    Repairs & Maintenance: £93
    Cleaning of common parts: £60
    Communal Grounds Maintenance: £115
    Block management fees £240
    Budgeted Reserve Fund £500
    Total: £1708

The owner says they’ll try and negotiate this down but I doubt they’ll be able to get it down to c£1000 which is what I’d expect.
    Building Insurance seems very high and budgeted reserve fund suggests they’re saving for some major work which isn’t a great sign. Either that or someone’s on the take!

Thoughts about what’s negotiable here?

tommyhine

Who’s the service provider?

It all seems fairly standard tbh, most buildings like that will have a reserve fund if only for replacing windows, painting the exterior/interior and various things like that. This i think would be particularly true of a victorian building.

Stoner
    Free Member

Insurance looks a tad high. I think we pay (5x units) around £1100 pa for £600k replacement cost. So about £200 per flat.

The rest seems about right. Any sensible block management will pay into a sinking fund to help prevent big cashflow calls on tenants when the roof needs doing. Internals usually get redecorated every 5 yrs externals probably 7.

Junkyard
    Free Member

as you note the three biggies look high

£700 for insurance – how many flats etc as that does seem high and i assume that is just rebuild costs – i doubt you can negotiate it as i assume they get the best deal they can?
    Block management fees £240 – no idea what this is tbh
    Budgeted Reserve Fund £500- that is very high and I doubt anyone saves this amount a year for ongoing repairs.

Associated charges like this have always put me off owning something communal as you dont really control these costs

What happens if they want £1k per year as the roof needs fixing in 5 years time?

I doubt you will get anything for less tbh

Stoner
    Free Member

Block management fee for out block is £250 per flat. SO £240 is bang on.
    We are paying about £350 intoa sinking fund, but we have a smaller block. The fund has around £2.5k in it and next year that will be used to pay for internal redecoration.

What happens if they want £1k per year as the roof needs fixing in 5 years time?

You’ll be grateful that they dont do the work in five years time and issue a demand for £5k out of the blue.

cranberry
    Free Member

How many flats are there in the building ?

Block management fees – seems rather high.

What is the status of the reserve fund – it should have plenty of cash in it, otherwise previous owners might well have been putting very little in over many years causing a need to ramp up the amount being put in now = you pay for them not paying in the past = not good. When I moved into my place the amount in the reserve fund for my flat was more than 10% of the value of the flat which was good. A friend bought a flat with nothing in the reserve fund, and suddenly had to find € thousands when the roof was found to be knackered.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You’ll be grateful that they dont do the work in five years time and issue a demand for £5k out of the blue.

I would rather decide myself what to do. What are you some sort of commie who favours free citizens being forced to do as you decree 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

Commie?

No I’m a Van Hoogstraten-esque evil capitalist rentier landlord and you will be paying the bills sunshine! 🙂

towzer

are you clear on what you get for the money and is there evidence that it has previously been delivered. (*I once was a leaseholder in an insured building ……………..)

when can it be renegotiated and what limits/controls are there (*there were a few places where they jumped the rates up/sort of sold contract on to ‘professional’ mgmt companies)

find out who is involved in the contract and google etc on them

is the a mgmt committee/funds/accounts etc you can review

fwiw – I turned down a flat in a similar deal as I didn’t want to add a large and unknown future cost to myself

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Buying a flat: service charge breakdown – what looks too high?’ is closed to new replies.