Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Buying a Dog Advise…Cockapoo
  • nwill1
    Free Member

So my wife and daughter have decided they want a dog and have decided on a Cockapoo based on size, temperament, lack of hair loss and general cuteness.

I’m the one tasked with helping to find one and I’ve read a lot about buying dogs and the do’a and dont’s, however it is proving very very difficult to locate genuine animal loving breeders!

Despite efforts so far we’ve come across what I believe are dog farmers and travellers trying to mak a quick dolla!

Any specific places we can look other than recommendations of folk we see out and about? Or does anyone on here know any good breeders?

Cheers

joshvegas
    Free Member

You don’t buy a dog.

You go to a dog rescue and see which one wants to play with you.

You take that one.

legend
    Free Member

Where are you based?

It’s true that the correct thing to do is what he says ^

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dragon
    Free Member

Cockapoo’s are a little bit ‘controversial’ in dog circles so finding a recognized, reliable breeder could be tricky. Might be better to look for a ‘proper’ breed.

muddy9mtb

second to joshvegas

there are far to many good animals without a home already

even puppys

it will have assessed for temperament, health checked, neutered etc..

if you really want to pay for a dog (????) try here

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/

although no gaurantee the scammers don’t use this site

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Interested in this OP as our youngest son has various allergies but the entire family really wants a dog and a cockapoo is meant to be good for allergy sufferers due to them not leaving hair around etc.

Would be interested to see what you find about breeders etc.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Shouldn’t cost no more than 50 quid as a token gesture . Let’s not forget it’s a mongrel . My friend paid 750 for a designer x breed . Bejion x king Charles . Mug .

jon1973
    Free Member

Shouldn’t cost no more than 50 quid as a token gesture . Let’s not forget it’s a mongrel . My friend paid 750 for a designer x breed . Bejion x king Charles . Mug .

Are you Danny Dyer?

sandwicheater

Snigger, he said poo. And he said c0ck, classic.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

+1 for getting something unique from the rescue centre, but if you must have a cockypoo, try here…

http://www.cockapooclubgb.co.uk/cockapoo-rescue-rehoming–respite-care.html

nparker

Go for a puppy if you know the breeder personally. If not I too would recommend going the rescue route like others have said. A good rescue center will advise the history and whether the dog is likely to be suitable for a family. It is in their interests to make sure the dog is suitably homed so will give you an honest appraisal.

z1ppy

joshvegas – Member
    You don’t buy a dog.
    You take that one.

+ million, I know it’s not the advise you looking for, but buying this years designer mutt, is a fools errand. Too many idiots breeding them in the hope of making a quick buck, and as a cockerpoo is not a proper breed, you have no constancy in the ‘breed’. Speaking to another dog walker, he’s just taken ownership of 12 month old female leonberger (beautiful), another a 12 month old labradoodle (so loyal now to owners who actually love him) – don’t right off rescue mutts.

Alphabet

Another +1 for joshvegas.

We’ve just got a new (to us) cat from our local rescue center. There are plenty of animals out there needing good homes.

Also do you really want something called a ‘Cockerpoo’? 😆

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You don’t buy a dog.
    You take that one.

+1.

It’s a complete no brainer.

Please, go to a home & save one of the dogs there.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We’ve given cats new homes and would give a dog one too but due to allergies etc we need to be very specific about what we want, not just walking into a rescue centre and picking one at random.

And despite rescue centres being brilliant, a mate of mine has had a fair few dogs from them. One went for him though, completely unprovoked and despite being a pretty big guy, he had to lock himself in the loo whilst the dog calmed down outside. Took it straight back to the centre and told them what happened. Month or so later was chatting to a guy at a bus stop with his arm in bandage – apparently it was done by a dog, which went bonkers, which he’d got a week previous from the same rescue centre. Same dog…

bubs

Cockapoo is very much the dog to have where I live but I don’t really get designer dogs. I have posted this before but it never hurts to post again, my wife helps out this charity: http://www.dogsinneed.co.uk/gallery.html. Lots more dogs needing homes than those in the gallery.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

On a serious note . I think that you should have your children looked at and if they’re unruly and badly behaved you shouldn’t be allowed a dog . These are my thoughts whilst sitting in the doctors surgery surrounded by a whole load of adverts for euthanasia .

nwill1
    Free Member

Interesting, I’ve considered rescue but three issues my wife has raised, she would like to nurture a pup from a young, age, rescue dogs seem to be older. The dog may have a past that could create more of a risk, most dogs in the rescue centres tend to be Staffordshire Bull Terriers and the like!

To answer the breed thing, the choice of dog is not down to ‘designer’ more a case that she’s (we’ve) considered various breeds and it’s the one that ticks the boxes for what we’re looking for.

I appreciate that the breed (non breed) has only been around for 30-40 years but are most dogs not ‘designer’ were created/breed for many purposes just many more years ago?

Will defo look into rescue centres though as well as other avenues!

nwill1
    Free Member

PS my child is very well behaved (for a lively adventurous 6 year old!)

z1ppy

Has you wife had a dog before? We’ve just taken on 6 month old mutt and he’s been a handful as it is, so though we might have missed that cuteness, we didn’t have to do toilet training or him missing his mum, or the other fun of a very young pet (my last kitten was hard enough!)…
    BUT a properly run rescue home will not rehome a dog with issues, in an environment that isn’t good for it, dog homes aren’t just looking to dump dogs out. What’s the point of putting off new dog owners & having a dog with even more issues returned to them (which is all that happens).
    As for the staffies, it’s a real shame but yes we had to look far and wide to avoid one as we live near a city. I have no issue with the breed, just the idiot owners, but I we simply didn’t want one… TBH they actually fit your requirements 😉 , a small to medium dog, very little hair loss (to my knowledge) & if not kitted up in leather studded harnesses are cute as buggery

I_did_dab
    Free Member

the problem with cross breeds is that you don’t really know which bits of each breed you’re getting. Will it have a spaniel or poodle brain? If you like poodles for the lack of shedding why not get a miniature poodle…?

fionap

18 replies and nobody has recommended a spaniel yet?

dragon
    Free Member

If you like poodles for the lack of shedding why not get a miniature poodle…?

Or a standard poodle. They don’t have to be cut to look ridiculous.

Think less this:

And more this:

Although your daughter may be thinking more the other way around 😳

Dark-Side

We have a cockapoo. He’s 8 months old and was bought from a reputable breeder in Cheshire. I’ve never had a dog before and its been a steep and difficult learning curve but I am so glad we have him in our lives, even though sometimes I could throttle him. He is quite large for a cockapoo, not far off retriever size and needs a decent amount of exercise every day, but I like this about him. His temprament is great and he’s very loving, he is very patient with our two year old forever pulling his ears and dragging him around. He’s great.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Interesting, I’ve considered rescue but three issues my wife has raised, she would like to nurture a pup from a young, age, rescue dogs seem to be older. The dog may have a past that could create more of a risk, most dogs in the rescue centres tend to be Staffordshire Bull Terriers and the like!

At Battersea they get a fair few pups, put your name down & then be quick to see them when they do get some. BDCH don’t allow any dog to be re-homed that they think might be an issue i.e they will try to ensure you have the most suitable pet possible. Yes you may not know the full history but you would know the full history of any dog? It’s just someones word after all. At least at Battersea the dogs are professionally assessed.

As for Staffies? Probably one of the best dogs you’ll ever get – don’t believe the bad rumours about them. They are great creatures..

Staffie Battersea link

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

My parents have a Cockapoo that I reckon came from the same place in Cheshire as Dark Side, it’s mad, funny, clever, daft and just a brilliant dog.

Saying that, I’ve become involved a little with dogs home trust in Manchester:

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/

The facility is state of the art, and the dogs are profiled for each persons circumstances. We’re moving house soon and once we’re in we’re going to rescue a dog, probably a Whippet.

CustardCream

http://www.westlondoncockapoo.co.uk

This is where I got mine in 2012.
    Adam is a top guy and very knowledgable and passionate about his dogs.

Expect a top bred PRD/FN checked cockerpoo from a normal home environment.
    Dont expect them to be cheap, the best never is and he has a high demand.
    And dont expect to automatically get one, he will want to meet you first to discuss the best future for his dogs.

As an example, he requested we sign a document promising in the event that my wife and I were to ever split up, he would get the dog back!

I still have my wife, and my dog!
    Love them both equally….(its ok, my wife never comes on here…!)

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

There are lots of dogs in dog homes and not all circumstances mean getting a second hand dog. My friend has a lurcher, who has had an unknown chequered past. The family think he is a great animal and is always happy to see visitors, but he cant be let off the lead or unmuzzled outside the house due to his previous ‘owners’ teaching. Makes it very hard work and although the dogs trust are fantastic in helping, he is going to be a difficult animal. A friend has a cockapoo and , although not my kind of dog, seems suitable to them, with the no hair shredding, allergy less type they are.
    I wanted a rescue dog, but being we had cats, would have been extremely awkward. So we got a puppy from pets4homes, so she would grow up with the cats and all has been great. She is a cross JRT and Border Terrier . No special breed, just the mum got out and frisky with neighbours dog. House training wasn’t hard. She did a couple of moments in the house, but with the wife and daughters patience, she is well trained too. With a pup, you don’t have previous owners traits to try and resolve.

SiB
    Free Member

GET A SPANISH WATER DOG!!…….

http://www.spanishwaterdogrescue.org.uk/dogs/index.html

We have had a Spanish Water Dog now for 7 years and I cannot recommend them enough (also got Springer which I would recommend just as much!)…….and they look like cockapoos (well everybody who stops us asks us if its a cockapoo!)

i wont post up any photos because if you saw a puppy of adult SWD it would be unfair on the other breeds!!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Just a point to make about Lurchers & Greyhounds. They don’t have to have had a chequered past to have to wear a muzzle. They’re dogs that have been bred for 100s of years to chase after a small fluffy thing on the track and are rewarded when they catch it, therefore they are inherantly drawn to another dog running about. That they will be too fast for.

xiphon
    Free Member

Meet Triffid, our Cockerpoo (1st generation).

He’s the first dog I have ever had (my wife convinced me…), and he’s nothing short of awesome.

Grrr… Flickr.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vCDKeV]Triffid[/url]

(If the image is broken, click the link. Photo is public)

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ha ha. Triffids ace!

Crag
    Free Member

Yeah, ignore the naysayers, Cockerpoos are awesome!

Here’s mine, Bella

[url=https://flic.kr/p/smEdf2]DSCF0203 (1)[/url] by cragseds, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/s54XQN]DSC_0427[/url] by cragseds, on Flickr

nwill1
    Free Member

Cheers, nice to see some positive stories…Dark Side and jonnythelayther I will PM you when I get chance see if I can obtain any breeder details, we don’t mind if we have to wait.

CustatdCrean thank you will have a good look at Adams dogs and breeding, we quite fancy a fussy breeder usually means they’re a caring breeder with integrity!

Xiphon…Triffid looks adorable showed my wife and little girl, they went all soppy, if you don’t mind I’ll pm you and ask about where you got her from.

SiB, I will take a look at SWD and share with the wife…any others out there have a Cockapoo?

nwill1
    Free Member

Crag she’s lovely, where’s she from?

xiphon
    Free Member

nwill1 – wait until you tell them he does “high-five” when you say “Duuuuude”

😀

mrlebowski
    Free Member

OP, I can see you’ve your heart set on a Cockapoo, but where’s the harm in checking out a rescue or 2 in the meantime?

You might surprise yourself….

Sui
    Free Member

agree, go have a look. If ever i’m allowed a dog (again) this is where i will go. My view on Staffies are very much changed over the last year!

+ I read that not all xxpoo’s share the allegen free trait – it’s worth double checking!

Sui

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Have a cockapoo – working cocker crossed with a miniature, before that we had 4 working Springer Spaniel.

She’s better than the 4 Springers by a long shot. She’s more attentive, listens to commands not because she will get a treat but because she genuinely seems to crave being in peoples good books, she is great with kids and she is a continual barrel of laughs.

Get one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Buying a Dog Advise…Cockapoo’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts