Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Buying a cheap groupset from Merlin? Word of advice/warning
  • convert

I wanted to buy a 2X10 XT transmission groupset from Merlin at the weekend. I wanted the medium rather than the long cage version which was not an option on the whole groupset so bought the components individually. I was quite surprised that it was cheaper than buying the whole groupset and the RRP of the individual components came to nothing like the advertised RRP of the groupset.

Sent them a quick email

Just a quick thank you for delivering the order below so promptly.

One query though. I was going to order your complete transmission Shimano XT groupset listed as RRP £499.99 but on sale at 40% off and selling for £299.99. As I wanted to have a medium cage rear mech rather than the long and this was not an option for the groupset offer I put together an order for the exact same components bought individually. Three things struck me; firstly my basket for the same components came to only £291.66; Secondly adding together the RRP of all the components came to only £424.8; thirdly nothing I bought individually was as much as 40% off.

I’d be very interested to know how you came to your advertised figures for the groupset. At best I think it could be seen as misleading to sell a groupset for more than the price you are selling the individual components for collectively. At worst is could be construed as miss-selling to advertise an inflated RRP so that an exaggerated discount could be advertised.

Don’t get me wrong, the order below represents outstanding value; but if I hadn’t gone to the bother of calculating the price of the individual parts until after putting in the order I would be very annoyed I had been misled.

They replied:-

It is unusual that it is cheaper to get the individual parts over the groupset as our prices change all the time. We do try to sell the groupsets cheaper but from time to time, individual components can reduce in price making it cheaper for the individual bits but it’s rare. All of our RRPs are accurate at time of advertising.

Doesn’t sound like they plan on updating the site… I tried a couple of other groupsets – one worked out cheaper buying individually, the other was better bought as a goupset but in both cases the rrp of the individual components added together was way below the RRP they advertise the groupset as being worth.

So, advice to anyone planning on buying a groupset from them – add up the individual components first as it might work out better value. And ignore the RRP and % off as bobbins. They still worked out better value than even the german online retailers but a bit iffy practice in my opinion.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

How much of your time did you spend saving £8.33?

convert

About the same time it took you to read my post and write that response (about 30seconds).

ton

How much of your time did you spend saving £8.33?

😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Everything from the same year?

convert

😆

Yes, I know – not a lot in my case – not enough to have made a fuss about, I appreciate that. It’s probably something to do with having been born in Scotland. I could have saved £80 odd buying the stuff individually on a more expensive full road groupset though – and it still takes a similar amount of time to pick the individual components 🙂

convert

Everything from the same year?

Identical year and model numbers

kudos
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of someone sending arsey emails to a retailer, or flaming them on a forum for giving them outstanding value and saving them money!

Weirdo. 🙄

convert

Weirdo.

I’ll accept that! 🙂

Not a flaming though – far from it. As mentioned above, they are still the best place to buy a groupset in terms of value – just ignore the groupset RRP quoted and check out the price of the individual components before buying. More of a PSA than a flame.

kudos
    Free Member

I’d be very interested to know how you came to your advertised figures for the groupset. At best I think it could be seen as misleading to sell a groupset for more than the price you are selling the individual components for collectively. At worst is could be construed as miss-selling to advertise an inflated RRP so that an exaggerated discount could be advertised.

They still worked out better value than even the german online retailers but a bit iffy practice in my opinion.

This sounds like a bit of a flaming to me…

traildog
    Free Member

A better title would be PSA: Great deals on individual items at Merlin. This appears as a thread slagging them off, where as they have given you a great deal over something which in itself is a great deal.

hora
    Free Member

A word of warning?

Wow.

convert

This sounds like a bit of a flaming to me…

I have and still would recommend people shop there, especially for their notoriously cheap groupsets. But I do standby the above quotes – even the cheapest retailers need to make sure they get their listed prices and discount figures correct.

kudos
    Free Member

Do I win £5?

convert

A better title would be PSA: Great deals on individual items at Merlin. This appears as a thread slagging them off, where as they have given you a great deal over something which in itself is a great deal.

Maybe – but the fact still remain that the RRPs listed for their whole groupsets are incorrect (some by a number of hundreds of pounds)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

even the cheapest retailers need to make sure they get their listed prices and discount figures correct.

They did, their prices were right. The groupset (everything in a box 1 barcode) was costed and reduced. The individual items (multiple items, multiple barcodes, multiple prices) were reduced. Probably due to normal processes at any of the large online retailers either a stock level was too high or low and space was needed so a part was put on extra discount. This meant that the groupset was more expensive that the parts. It’s not wrong or right it’s just how stuff works.

convert

Kudos – I’ve read your posts, and the response of others to them. It appears by common consent that you have that award safely tucked away on your mantlepiece. If you want to pass it over and lend it to me, I’d be more than happy to keep it warm for you 😉

neilwheel
    Free Member

They don’t make the RRP and have to list it as required.

I don’t know why you wouldn’t check the prices against each other anyway?

rOcKeTdOg

I hope you used the Tour10 10% offer too!

kimbers

kudos
    Free Member

Just driven past the end of your road Convert… 😉

br
    Free Member

tbh I never pay attention to any RRP when it is listed to show a ‘sale’ price.

convert

They did, their prices were right. The groupset (everything in a box 1 barcode) was costed and reduced. The individual items (multiple items, multiple barcodes, multiple prices) were reduced. Probably due to normal processes at any of the large online retailers either a stock level was too high or low and space was needed so a part was put on extra discount. This meant that the groupset was more expensive that the parts. It’s not wrong or right it’s just how stuff works.

Very true for the actual for sale prices – RRPs don’t change though.

convert

Mike – I have to say I had noticed that too (though thats the triple, not the double it must be the same rrp).

Perhaps the fault is with madison/shimano then – setting an RRP for a group of components that is higher the the sum of the RRPs for the exact same components separately. Which is very weird – normally cheaper bought en masse than a component at a time.

cookeaa

I recently ordered a Road Group from Merlin, TBH I didn’t cost out the individual parts, just compared similar groupset offers from competiotors, But I’d guess they all tot up to approximately what I paid +/- 10%

The proportion of my lunch hour I didn’t expend saving £8.33 I can now waste on STW instead…

OP you are a diligent and thrifty shopper and it has yielded you a saving equivalent to a basic lunch for one, from a weatherspoons…

…and don’t you forget it princess…

deviant
    Free Member

Hmmm, the OP is the same chap who was asking for the credentials of a nice guy who is newly employed by On-One and posted offering to try and sort any customer service problems if needed, seems this wasn’t good enough either…there is no pleasing the OP.

convert

OP you are a diligent and thrifty shopper and it has yielded you a saving equivalent to a basic lunch for one, from a weatherspoons…

I’ll spend it with glee! 🙂

Though if you read the OP again I’m actually a lazy bastard and only bothered to do the thrifty thing because the whole groupset purchase didn’t give the option I wanted (medium rear mech).

But I’ll think of you and that image as I tuck into my gammon, egg and chips and watery pint of piss.

convert

Hmmm, the OP is the same chap who was asking for the credentials of a nice guy who is newly employed by On-One and posted offering to try and sort any customer service problems if needed, seems this wasn’t good enough either…there is no pleasing the OP.

Please reread from my first contribution to that topic – it was more a concern/warning that a non authorised member of staff purporting to represent the company on a public forum could get in a world of pain and he probably should confirm with the powers that be they were cool with that.

atlaz
    Free Member

Maybe – but the fact still remain that the RRPs listed for their whole groupsets are incorrect (some by a number of hundreds of pounds)

Are they incorrect or is that their pricing strategy? I’m not sure if you’re aware, but they’re a business and by no means obligated to price the bundles cheaper than the sum of the parts. At the supermarket sometimes, the larger volume packs of drinks are often more expensive than the individual ones, do you complain to them as well?

convert

I’m not sure if you’re aware

do you complain to them as well?

I didn’t! Outraged!

Gathering pen and paper as I type!

cookeaa

Its just seems the OP is watching out for everyone, can’t blame him for caring can we…

personally I’m glad there’s a stranger on the internet worrying about STW member’s job security and saving us minor amounts of pocket change…

andyl
    Free Member

did you remember your topcashback? 😉

convert

did you remember your topcashback?

of course! 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Cables? 😀

Still surprising though

convert

Cables?

yep! – they come with the levers

(though have to confess I didn’t know that until they arrived)

plyphon
    Free Member

Does the group set come retail packaged, and does all the individual kit come retail packed, or is some OEM? (Brown/plain box)

convert

Does the group set come retail packaged, and does all the individual kit come retail packed, or is some OEM? (Brown/plain box)

I’ve now bought both ways from Merlin – both times they came in individual retail packaging – i.e. not a great big ‘groupset’ box. Not OEM by the looks of it but most likely grey. My bin is now very full of cardboard boxes and thousands of instruction leaflets in every language ever spoken! I have also overdosed on tea – kind of compulsory to drink huge amounts of tea whilst rebuilding a bike I think.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

beer is preferable, you won’t know the source of what you didn’t buy. The last thing you got may be one and the current may be another.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Buying a cheap groupset from Merlin? Word of advice/warning’ is closed to new replies.