Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Buying a car question
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

Just been to look at a new car. A1 condition inside and out, silly low miles for the age, full service history, price is right/below average. Only anomaly is that is an ex-motability car – anything to worry about/should consider before buying based on this?

jon1973
    Free Member

I guess it depends on what alterations have been made and how that effects the insurance premium.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I doubt it – you could ask if it had any additional controls added then subsequently removed and if they will guarantee that repair work if there was any.

Other than that I would expect it to be a good car.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Good points – certainly no evidence of anything being added and then removed in the cabin. May enquire with insurance co though.

hora
    Free Member

OP- the only issues that I can see is alot of short journeys so if its a diesel with a dpf worry alittle otherwise only the clutch.

If the clutch is fine- great.

Is it a diesel?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

No petrol – 08 plate…..less than 8000 miles on the clock

hora
    Free Member

Definitely mobility? ASK to see the V5 before you hand over money.

Longshot- My thinking is it may have an unknown company name on there that they’d describe as the lease company for mobility. I almost bought a Focus that was ex-mobility but googling and a call to a office block listed on the postcode turned up a shell company for Hertz.

As I say longshot otherwise your laughing. It just needs a fresh oil/filter IMO.

antigee

think depends on if dealer has actually had V5 reissued to them – if not under tax class (or similar) might say something like “disabled” instead of CO2 level – the dealer will have to take to a DVLA office to get tax status corrected – or as i find out once dealer couldn’t be arsed so when went to pick up car hadn’t got it taxed – no big deal at tax office – routine 5 minute form ticking but depends how far away one is

amplebrew

I used to sell motability cars a few years ago for Ford and they make usually make a good used buy.

I’m not fully up to speed with the current motability contract, but I can’t imagine it’s changed that much if at all.

People would basically get a new car on a 3 year contract and in that time they were limited by the amount of mileage they could do a year, which from memory was either 10k or 12k.

They did however get free servicing so the vehicles usually wanted for nothing.

Very few of the cars I sold had any adaptions and most came back after the 3 years unabused and very low mileage.

There are some bad ones out there though and some folks have been known to either get a motability car for another family member to use or to even alter the mileage.

I was once ordered a taxi to get home after a night out only to be collected in a vehicle I had sold on motability 6 months earlier!!!

The overall condition of the vehicle though will be a good indication of what life it’s led.

hora
    Free Member

I had a pug306 that was tax exempt (FiL reg disabled)- I took it to the local tax office and did it within minutes.

There are some bad ones out there though and some folks have been known to either get a motability car for another family member to use or to alter the mileage

I know a mobility 09 Golf TDI that is on 65k.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

All good stuff – thanks. I do vaguely recall the tax issue as I nearly bought another ex-motability car several years ago. It is currently taxed, so will be interesting to see what the log book says.

hora
    Free Member

If the trader/seller says ‘data protection/can’t show you it’. Walk.

Only Arnold Clark pulled that one with me.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Trader seems to be as-ok-as-any-used-car-salesman-I’ve-ever-met, but point taken 😉

If the log book still shows it’s classed as ‘disabled use’, but it still carries a valid tax disc for a number of months, I assume I/he should change the tax class and pay for/get a new tax disc before I can legally drive it on the road (this would seem abundantly sensible, but you never know…. 😉

hora
    Free Member

If the log book still shows it’s classed as ‘disabled use’, but it still carries a valid tax disc

Hang on. That wouldn’t be right. Its a two-owner car if its got a paid-tax disc on.

You can surrender a mobility car after one year into a 3yr contract.

A mobility car can be handed in early if the owners circumstances change – no longer allowed to drive (ill health worsens), gives up driving or death etc.

I am a born cynic but its best to be on your guard – it could be a case of the car was mobility- bought by someone and ran as a taxi then wound back 😉

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I am a born cynic but its best to be on your guard – it could be a case of the car was mobility- bought by someone and ran as a taxi then wound back

I will check/ask the questions when I go back for a second look and do the haggling. How hard is it to clock an electronic milometer (actaully pretty easy I guess with the right kit)? The inside and interior trim was immaculate….

spacemonkey

We bought a 2-3yr old Focus last year from a local dealer. Was a one-owner mobility car but nothing at all had been ‘done’ to it. The woman had simply bought it on that scheme.

Car was absolutely mint and subsequently faultless throughout our one year of ownership.

By all means dig around, but at the same time don’t expect to find something ‘bad’ etc.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Buying a car question’ is closed to new replies.