Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Buying a car- haggling tips?
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Going to view and potentially buy a car tomorrow.
    Low milage and the price is ok, but it is up for £8900 and I have really only got about £8500.

Done some online valuations and stuff and not really anything directly comparable mileage/age wise for sale.

Any tips for trying to get the best price? From a big main dealer btw

cozz
    Free Member

find faults with it, offer the £8500, then start walking away

nealglover
    Free Member

Offer them £8500 for it ?

Walk away if they don’t accept, leave your phone number.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If there’s anything wrong with it at all, then beat them down. Scuffed alloy, scratch, worn tyres, tax expiring soon etc.

Go with cash, get it out as you offer the 8500, you’ll be amazed what power the sight of folding has!

This is assuming it’s a private sale, if it’s a dealer, you probably haven’t got a lot of bargaining power.

steveh

If you were buying from me and started at 8500 I’d be offering to meet in the middle at 8700. So either make it clear that this is your final offer or start at 8250 to get talked up.

jam-bo

Offer them 8k. Then you’ve got room to move so they feel like they’ve made some ground.

Or you get it for 8k

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

As Steve H and Jambo. Shoot for the moon, hit the stars! go in low and talk up to your max if need be.

wiggles
    Free Member

Never bought a car that wasn’t old/cheap and from a private seller so will be a different experience…

Starting at £8000 ish sounds like a plan and then just have to hold out at 8.5k

tonyg2003

Don’t seem too keen and maybe drop into the conversation that you have looked at some other very similar good cars. Also if you have any doubts, walk away. Plenty more cars out there.

legend
    Free Member

Go with cash, get it out as you offer the 8500, you’ll be amazed what power the sight of folding has!

The power to get the money laundering squad involved. The last time I bought a car from a dealer (Arnold Clark)they had a limit in the amount of cash they could take – pretty sure it was less than that.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Don’t say “what’s your best price?”

It shows you are an amateur.

loddrik
    Free Member

I just ask if they’ll accept what I’m prepared to pay up front. If they won’t then I’ll just look for something else.

wiggles
    Free Member

Back-up plan is my dad offers to pay the difference as he is fed up of driving me around to look at cars 😆

cozz
    Free Member

dealer wont get too excited about cash, private seller would though

cash is just a pain for dealers

paladin

Don’t take your wife to look at it if she’s likely to constantly proclaim how wonderful it is. You won’t get anything off it doing that.

sofatester
    Free Member

What car is it you’re looking to buy wiggles? As for that amount of cash second hand i hope it’s something fun!

chewkw
    Free Member

Offer £8K to £8.2 and leave number then walk.

Low mileage? Plenty about so just keep checking.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

if there is ever a pause in the conversation when haggling. do not speak.

the next person to speak loses

– its amazing how much people get uncomfortable by silence

jambalaya
    Free Member

The seller will not be expecting £8,900 – as above offer £8-ish to start with assuming car is as described. Be prepared to walk away and say you have another car to see later that day.

chewkw
    Free Member

What mileage are you referring to?

wiggles
    Free Member

It’s the opposite of fun… Practical 🙄

It’s a 60 plate berlingo XTR with 12k miles
    The cheap tax and insurance make it much better value than it seems… Still ugly as **** though

leffeboy

Don’t seem too keen and maybe drop into the conversation that you have looked at some other very similar good cars.

I’m not sure if this works unless you are very good at it. A professional salesman will see this many many times each day.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Say look I quite like the car but I’ve only got 8000 in my budget, if he says no leave your number and leave.

It’s really not complicated. Car dealers are not usually good salesmen to be honest, they just don’t budge and nor should you, lots of used cars out there.

revs1972
    Free Member

Recently bought a car that was on forecourt at 8k.
    Traded in my old car which I had previously had valued at 2.5k
    Mine had a few faults and was dying.
    Dealer asked me what I wanted to get me into new car.
    I said I had my car and 4k cash, that’s all I had and don’t waste your time going back and forwards to your boss with offers etc cos that is all I’ve got
    Came back after 10 mins and accepted.
    Was gutted, was expecting at least a bit of sport.
    Both happy with the deal though.
    I spoke to him after transaction had gone through and the car I bought was a part ex that they had had in less than a week. Asked him what they do with my car, and they said they just trade em in themselves.
    I don’t know what dealers margins are , but they would have made money on my old one, and on the one they sold me.
    Later saw it advertised up country for 5.5 k . Good luck with that lol
    As others have said, go in low and hope for the best. It’s their job to sell you that car, not yours to buy it

toppers3933
    Free Member

cash is not king anymore. its a pain in the arsee because the dealer has to bank it which usually means a trip to the bank. always offer less than you are willing to pay. you can always get talked up a bit that way but don’t make it easy for them to talk you up. and don’t forget to get them to throw in 12 months tax and a tank of fuel.

matt_outandabout

What would Toni say?

brodie
    Free Member

Don’t take your wife to look at it if she’s likely to constantly proclaim how wonderful it is. You won’t get anything off it doing that.

Unless shes fit and wearing a bikini. That might help.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

The power to get the money laundering squad involved. The last time I bought a car from a dealer (Arnold Clark)they had a limit in the amount of cash they could take – pretty sure it was less than that.

Note the bit I said about private sale. 😉

tiggs121
    Free Member

Go in around £8000 and do not exceed your limit. Don’t let on what your limit is.

Let us know how you fared

Best of luck

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

After three trips back and forth to his boss he will come back and say “8600 that our best offer and you don’t want to lose the deal for a couple of hundred quid do you?” And you say
    ” neither do you £8300 is my final offer here’s my debit card/ cash deposit ( put on the desk) and do we have a deal ?”
    He says ” let me speak to my Manager ” as he walks off let him get to the office and then follow him and give him your phone number on a piece of paper and say” here’s my number I’ve got to go , let me know if we can agree my deal “
    And walk out……….

Bet you get a call or don’t get out the car park

Be courteous and polite but firm

hora
    Free Member

When was it last serviced?
    How long is the tax?
    How long is the MOT?
    What brand are the tyres?
    Any scratches on the bumpers or chips in the windscreen?

There you go OP 🙂

Never ever over pay. Better to walk away. Dont feel like a timewaster. Ive sold loads of cars privately and jnow its a haggle

wombat

Get a mate that is vaguely mechanically aware to go see it about an hour before you, he tells them it’s got this and that wrong with it and it’ll cost £2.5k so sort it.

You roll up afterwards, say you like it but have others to look at and offer £1k less than the asking price, with any luck they’ll be glad to “offload” it 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Like large main dealer with a workshop full of mechanics will fall for that

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quoteHe says ” let me speak to my Manager ” as he walks off let him get to the office and then follow him and give him your phone number on a piece of paper and say” here’s my number I’ve got to go , let me know if we can agree my deal “
    And walk out……….[/quote]

Hmm, that could work two ways. Ive had three clients in the showroom at the same time wanting to buy the same car. The deal is very much dependent on how long the car has been in stock, if its been more than 30 days you are likely to get a good deal, its also very dependent on how well the month is going for the dealer, which you wont really know. But i would ask them how long they have had it.

But apart from anything else, be prepared to compromise, if the car is really nice and you really want it, dont loose out over a couple of hundred quid. Especially when it,s gonna give you years of service and cost you many thousands to buy.

wiggles
    Free Member

I know it’s been on their website for at least about 2 weeks but only just got the cash, they have 3 others for sale as well but all 10k+ more miles on them

So hopefully I will be able to get decent deal, only just 3 years old so should have new MOT and try to get tax in on the deal

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have to do this for a living, so without wishing to get in to an argument about my advice, take it or leave it, without sounding harsh it makes no odds to me.

1, keep it friendly.
    2, do not keep putting your finger on that chip you just found, its a used car, if you want a car without a single stone chip then buy a new one.
    3, try & keep the conversation going, don’t try & play hardball, it works both ways.
    4, please please please do not try & squeeze the hell out of the deal, asking for fuel/mats/flaps or any other thing still costs the dealer money, its the same as taking money off the car unless you can ask them to swap stuff like wheels/tyres or mats from another car they have in stock as that is doable, probably.
    5, go in as near to the end of the month as possible, if they haven’t hit their targets you could get lucky, but if they have your stuffed.
    6,7,8 & 9, have I mentioned keep it freindly, even if it doesn’t work out there maybe another car at the same dealer so don’t burn your bridges.

HTH
    Cheers.

wiggles
    Free Member

I’ve (reluctantly) worked in a sales environment before so I know getting angry doesn’t get you anywhere

project
    Free Member

smile, introduce yourself, hello im Simon,shake hands,tell the man/lady what youre intrested in,ask whats the best price youve got on the car,ask for some fuel to drive away with,and a new MOT.

When i bought my last van, i got a fullservice,road tax 6 months 2 weeks insurance,delivery from about 40 miles away, the salesmen had a good laugh, and 2 bottles of wine for the sale, and i paid for it on my switch card, much to the amusement of the other customers who where offering cash and got refused.

Two of the reasons car sales staff dont accept cash is the risk of theft, and cost of paying in cash into the bank.

rureadyboots
    Free Member

Maintain eye contact at all times, try not to blink. Stand very close and touch the dealer as often as possible on the forearm and if he’s receptive the face. Tell him he’s beautiful, flattery goes a long way.

Then hit him with your price. If he agrees shake his hand, if not resort to screaming, rocking, crying and incontinence.

mightymule
    Free Member

Take an angry tiger with you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Buying a car- haggling tips?’ is closed to new replies.