Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Buying a car – Dealership negotiation……
  • letmetalktomark

Going to see a three year old car tomorrow at a dealership. Price on the ticket is reasonable but I do like a haggle 😈 (Part of my job requires negotiation 😉 Price rather than hostage! 😆 )

We have nothing to trade in and it will not be a finance deal – how much do you think I can push it on price and then on added extras like warranty etc?

Is it still a buyers market?

I know nothing about the used car market hence the Q.

All help much appreciated 🙂

geoffj

Is it still a buyers market?

It's always a buyer's market when it comes to used cars.

I'd be looking at guide prices in the Parkers book / autotrader etc. and go in hard. You can always walk away.

Oh and not taking finance is not likely to give you a discount. In some cases, dealers make more from the finance sale than they do the car.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Do some Autotradering, find some similar cars that "you prefer but this one has… (insert one good point for the one you are negotiating on – "it's the right colour" or something) then look mildly uninterested and offer them a comedy offer.

Is it a main dealer or a used dealer? Watch out for slippery warranty Ts and Cs from non main dealers.

It's definitely a buyers market.

If you say what car it is and the mileage, happy to give a value (Glasses guide is good but you need to pay for a "proper" valuation and some figures are a bit optimistic).

Then can give a quick checklist of what to look out for if needed.

cb

I was under the impression that good used stock is pretty thin on the ground at the moment? Certainly a mate in the trade has told me that which is why I was offered prices for my cars not much less than I paid for them 18 months ago. Guess it will be location specific and what mood the sales guy is in at the time. How long has the car been in stock?

letmetalktomark

Car is at a main dealer of a group (VAG) so the warranty "thing" seems genuine.

At Surf-Mat can we talk off line – Could you drop me an email please?

Oh and not taking finance is not likely to give you a discount. In some cases, dealers make more from the finance sale than they do the car.

Thought that to be the case 😥

Never bought a "proper car" before so not really sure what to expect 😕

When I phoned up to check it was there I got the "we always price our cars keenly tripe" 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mark – I'm a bit of an STW flid – you will have to whizz me an email as I can't find yours!

letmetalktomark

Surf-Mat – Member

Mark – I'm a bit of an STW flid – you will have to whizz me an email as I can't find yours!

Cannot find one for you either! 🙄 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

polzeyboy@hotmail.com

CheesybeanZ

letmetalktomark( @ )hotmail(.)com

Junkyard
    Free Member

hey both e-mail me and I will be your go between and take commission 😆

mattbee

Bought an 09 plate Focus from a main dealer a few months ago. Was advertised as 12k, we paid 'cash' and didn't part ex, got it down to 10.5k, with window tints, different alloys and a towbar fitted free. I didn't haggle too hard, just pointed out that there are loads of them about, this particular car was nice but not neccessarily the best we'd ever see, etc…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Buying a car – Dealership negotiation……’ is closed to new replies.