Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Buying a car and driving it away on the same day
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

Is it possible?
    Anyone done it?
    PITA or easy peasy?

nickjb
    Free Member

Is there another way? You turn up with a pocket of cash, give it a once over and rag round the block, haggle, drive it home.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ive only ever managed it from a private seller , always end up leaving some snagging with dealers to fix before i take it away.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    winston_dog
    Free Member

Depends what sort of garage/dealers.

Quite difficult with the bigger dealers.

Auctions are the best solution if you want instant gratification.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Private yes, delaers maybe. If you’re any good at haggling then you’d want a free full service, new tyres, brake pads, floor mats, any other faults fixing, etc and some money off. Turning up and announcing you have the money to pay today and they’ll know you’re going to pay whatever which means they’re less likley to haggle.

thomthumb
    Free Member

dealers have offered me temporary insurance before – to try & sweeten the deal…

weeksy

I did it not so long ago with a 10 plate Mondeo from a dealer. I did confirm in advance it would be possible for that particular car though.

mtbfix

Car Giant will do it

Kamakazie

Thisisnotaspoon: What is a typical % discount to get both with without the freebies you suggested?

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Yes it’s easy, but you must have cash and be 100% decisive as well as being able to assure yourself the car it OK in that time.

A dealer wants his car on the forecourt for the minimum time so will always want to sell that day, saying you’ll think about it is a dealers nightmare.

If the car is prepped there is no reason not to.

I’ve done it 3 times, and despite what others have said it normally leads to the biggest discount. No substitute for telling a dealer it’s cash today if he shifts himself – last car I bought was a 20% discount, but it was month end and he wanted a sale. Car supermarkets and run of the mill cars there will be less of a margin.

Easiest ones are when they have a car that is not normally their thing – normally a trade in. If it’s say a VW dealer and you’re after a golf then it’s not out of place on the forecourt, so they can afford to sit on it as they know another buyer will be along. A focus at a BMW dealer – much more keen to get shot of it.

You can tell in the first minute or so if they are up for it.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve done it once and drove away within the hour but it was for a £250 car 10 years ago as I was about to lose my job and company car and just needed wheels.

Quickly drove it, offered £250 ( it was priced £295 ) and rang my boss to put it on the trade insurance to get it home.

Never done it with anything dearer as it normally involves haggling and snagging and a full MOT

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Buying a car and driving it away on the same day’ is closed to new replies.