Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Buying a Brompton – Options
  • benp1

So C2W is about to open, and I have a £1k limit to stick to. Unfortunately it’s a Halfords scheme but bikefix is an option and I like them as a shop, they’re also close to work

I was going to spec one up as type handlebars:
    black
    3 speed
    Rack and guards
    Eazy wheels
    Extended post
    Marathon tyres

That comes to £980 which is pretty good. I might ask to upgrade to marathon plus, if available

Questions-
    1- presumably normal panniers fit onto the rack?
    2 -I can get the £15 front mount, but obviously not a bag, is it worth it? i.e. for a later upgrade
    3- what is the ‘firm suspension’ upgrade?
    4- still pondering 2 gears over 3, I’m thinking stick to 3 for just in cases, but maybe get an 8% gearing increase?

bencooper
    Free Member

1. Nope. The rear rack can only take a top bag, most luggage goes on the front. If you want to carry normal panniers, I make a front rack.

2. Doesn’t make any difference to the cost either way, you can buy the front bag and block later. But it would save you having to bolt it on yourself, though that’s not hard.

3. Stuffer rubber block in the back, makes it bounce less when pedalling hard.

4. 3 is heavier, but wider range – and can be upgraded easily to 6, whereas upgrading 2 to 6 is more expensive.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rear rack is pointless.

bencooper
    Free Member

Does make the part-folded bike stand up better. And you can carry other stuff on it 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9X5b56]Heavily Loaded Brompton[/url] by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

I make an integral rack on my rear triangles – a slimline one just for the bike to stand on, or beefier ones for large top bags.

benp1

Great, thanks, I didn’t realise the rack was that pointless. I’ll stick with mudguards only and no rack

I was wondering whether a rack mount child seat might fit (Polisport Guppy with a clamp to sit on most racks), but I reckon the foot rests will be too close to the floor and might touch when cornering. Would be neat to be able to lob the bike and child seat in the bike for impromptu stuff. I know you can get the IT seat, but £210 seems a bonkers amount of cash. I wonder if it’ll tow my double trailer!

How much does the extended seatpost stick out? Is it enough to stick on the SQR mount for a Carradice bag

bencooper
    Free Member

It sticks out by 6cm – and of course you can just not put the post all the way down when you fold. Though leave too much out and the post won’t lock the rear triangle properly.

the rear rack is way too low for a childseat, Milian make an adaptor thingy fir a seat in front of you.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Brompton gearing is a bit of a minefield if you’re new to them. I run a 44t front chainring on my S2, but it’s relatively low-geared and not good for long journeys or when you want to get a move on. Google Brompton Alfine conversions; I think they will run an Alfine without any serious modification. That will give you a decent range of gearing.

One immediate upgrade I can recommend, is swapping the very narrow handlebars for something wider. Brompton bars are about 520mm wide; I use a 590mm bar without any issues. You’ll need either a flat bar or one with anarrow centre bulge though, otherwise you won’t get it though the stem clamp.

Marathon Plus tyres are the most durable, but heavy and stiff. The standard Marathons are a decent compromise and a better performing tyre.

“Rear rack is pointless.”

Agreed. You have to take stuff off to fold the bike, which defeats the object.

bencooper
    Free Member

I think they will run an Alfine without any serious modification.

Well, I do it with a new rear triangle – but that lets you run a disc brake too. Or I do the Sturmey 8-speed hub, which will fir the standard Brompton rear triangle. Both options are heavier, though, so it depends if you really need that wide a gear range.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Those narrow bars are ace in traffic, though. It’s not a performance vehicle, it’s all about practicality!

M3L here, by the way. Of all my bikes, it’s the cleverest, most versatile, most smile-inducing of the lot. Love it.

onewheelgood

The current 6-speed Bromptons have 6-speed hub gears, not the 3×2 that they used to have. Anyone know how the weights of the 3 and 6 speed hubs compare?

bencooper
    Free Member

The current 6-speed Bromptons have 6-speed hub gears, not the 3×2 that they used to have.

They do?

loddrik
    Free Member

Just had to replace the first part on my Brompton in well over two years.

New rear brake pads….

Still not needed any maintenance whatsoever.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

black

Really? They look much better in bright colours.

Extended post

Other option is the telescopic, then replace the top section and Brompton clamp with a cheap seatpost and use a normal saddle. The bike still folds small when it needs to (which might be important for you on some trains as you’re using it to commute).

2 -I can get the £15 front mount, but obviously not a bag, is it worth it? i.e. for a later upgrade

Buy the mount and a front bag – it’s far and away the best way to carry luggage on a Brompton.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m about to start on an all-black Brompton with Rohloff, Hope discs, SON lighting etc – but with a copper-plated main frame. That’s going to be gorgeous.

Brompton with proper luggage:

onewheelgood

They do?

Er, no, they don’t. 😳 I misread something. Sorry.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m about to start on an all-black Brompton with Rohloff, Hope discs, SON lighting etc – but with a copper-plated main frame. That’s going to be gorgeous.

PLEASE POST PICS WHEN DONE!!!!

I’m happy with my 3spd SA gears but would love discs on mine!

The current 6-speed Bromptons have 6-speed hub gears, not the 3×2 that they used to have. Anyone know how the weights of the 3 and 6 speed hubs compare?

Nothing about this on the Brompton website…

benp1

I went into Bikefix earlier, they also have no idea about the 6 hub gears

Not sure about S or M handlebars, will test ride a couple of options either tomorrow or Wed night

It’s not really being used for the commute, I’m 10 miles from my office in Central London so normally use the bike to cycle in. This is an N+1 purchase to try out a folding bike (in summary) – there are various little reasons but they’re hard to justify against the cost. Also, I’m short on space but can fit a folder in the garage with a bit of jiggling about so figured I’d try one

I’m not sure about brompton luggage, it’s a bit proprietary so I can’t use it easily on my other bikes. I think I’m going to avoid it for now and use a normal bag, although I’d be tempted by a front rack if I could find one I like. As it won’t get ridden much a bag might be easier to pick up when I know how i’ll use the bike

I am thinking about a different colour to black, particularly as I have some spare budget (within the £1k limit) – what’s everyones favourite colour? I’m leaning towards bright orange or green

They have an all black brompton they can modify from 2 spd to 3 spd, but they only come with a standard seatpost, the extended one costs more

benp1

And would you have a different frame colour to extremities? I’m thinking lime green for both

Sorry, this couldn’t be further from a mountain bike!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Personally think they look better in a single colour and bright. That said, mine is raw laquer.

benp1

Raw laquer is over budget, I agree that looks mint though

All over lime green it is I reckon

frood
    Free Member

– what’s everyones favourite colour?

Claret with Ti extremities. but they don’t do it any more 🙁

aP
    Free Member

The bag system is the other best bit about bromptons after the folding thing. Click it on, ride to where you want to go, reduced sweaty back etc etc. IMHO the bike handles better with a bag on the front as well, you can carry a surprising amount of weight in them as well.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

aP +1. Part of what makes the bike really useful

benp1

Thanks for all your help folks, really helped

I went for a test ride at Bikefix last night. S2L and M3L, extended and telescopic seat posts. M bars definitely worked better for me than S bars, the S was too low (I’m 6’3), and the telescopic seat post gives me the option to leave the seat post slightly extended to get to the right height immediately, as well as potentially leave an SQR mount on

I also popped into the Brompton shop in Covent Garden only to look at the colours

I’ve just put my order in
    M3L, orange all round (didn’t like the look of the lime green), marathon tyres, telescopic post, firm suspension, saddle bag/cover

It’s just crept over budget, but I get the bike I want. I’ll sort out luggage after, I was going to be paying cash anyway so there was no benefit doing it straight away. I can also work out what luggage suits me best

Should be here in 4 weeks or so

oink1
    Free Member

benp1 – Member
    Thanks for all your help folks, really helped
    Should be here in 4 weeks or so

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but, PICS!!! 😀

benp1

Don’t have pics I can share quickly, but I have some on strava from the ride I did on Saturday

https://www.strava.com/activities/847158298

Bike was excellent, carried a bag with snacks and bits and my son the whole way without grumbling

Mostly on tarmac/brick/paving stone with the odd gravelly/tracky bit

EDIT – I had a really nice chat with a woman in Woolwich, she stopped while we were taking the photo of the cannon and chatted away about Bromptons and cycling

I’ve had more chats with random people due to my brompton than any other bike combined

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Unless you are 100% sure why not ride a normal bike to Brighton station and then Boris Bike round London. Much less aggro and expense and you end up spending less time looking loke a ****. Plus trying to manual a Boris bike gives hours of entertainment

benp1

I live in North London and cycle commute in. But if I was coming in from further on the train then I could still see Brompton benefits

– easier to cycle on the same bike (e.g. using the same bike)
    – don’t have to lock/leave a bike at the station
    – don’t have to find boris bike stations (I love boris bikes, but they aren’t always exactly where you want them)
    – the boris bike spots near train stations are hugely popular
    – you get the option of going home via other methods – part way cycle? Change station in or out?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I used a BB from W’loo to Victoria and London Bridge for two years without any problems.

Bloody awesome things.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Buying a Brompton – Options’ is closed to new replies.