• This topic has 40 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Buying a Brompton
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Surely this must be the sign of impending middle age 🙁

I need a bike which I can take on the bus, so therefore I need a Brompton. Now there’s a chance I’ll get it on Cycle-to-work, but otherwise I’ll be going second hand. Is there anything to watch out for? They seem to have a good following so they must be fairly reliable I guess. I fancy the slightly ‘sportier’ S type…
    Cheers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

M3L would be my choice. Comfy ride position, three gears (Start, go and weeeeeee!) and mudguards. All you need, really.

psychle
    Free Member

M3L +1… being me, I have the Ti version, saves a pound or two in weight but not much else! Brilliant bikes IMHO, the perfect train/bike commuter option 🙂

StirlingCrispin

Riding my Brompton always puts a smile on my face.

Treat yourself to the bike bag – if it’s in that it’s a bag and not a bike, particularly if you want to use buses.

The front bag is also a very useful piece of kit.

Mark7
    Free Member

Hi, in a similar situation myself so interested to hear why people recommend M-Type over S-Type? I am 6’4” so set-up is a concern!!

Cheers, Mark

johnners
    Free Member

Riding my Brompton always puts a smile on my face.

It puts a smile on our faces too, especially if you’re wearing those big shoes and a squirty flower.

aP
    Free Member

If I wear the clown outfit I know I’m going to ride the 29er.

Mark7
    Free Member
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Horrible things. A necessary evil for some folk, and would be handy to have if you got pissed in the pub and had to take a taxi home. I’d rather have a 20″ wheel folder though; more comfy, customisable and more flexible really, if a little heavier perhaps. Bromptons are ridiculously overpriced for what they are; the standard spec parts are cheap and poor quality, too many proprietary parts, and the replacement bits are poor quality too.

jimc101
    Free Member

Woohoo, rarely see someone critical of Bromptons, agree far too many proprietary parts, and way overpriced.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The design is quite good, and they fold up smaller than just about anything else, but they give a harsh, twitchy ride which isn’t good on potholed streets, let me tell you. Crap up and down kerbs, because of the disjointed back end, and I wouldn’t want to take one anywhere more demanding than a canal towpath. I remember the brakes especially being frighteningly rubbish.

Had to use one one day, to dot about town on. So happy to give it back. Put me off them for life.

Interesting to see that Bromptons have almost doubled in price, over the last 6 years or so, with no improvement in the quality of parts. Which is odd, cos there’s loads more folders on the market these days.

Chek dis:

That is almost quite cool. Spoiled only by the fact it looks like it’s a Fixie.

racefaceec90

you could go for one of these have always wanted to ride one but very expensive (can go up to £14.000 😯

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Does it even actually fold, that monstrosity? 😯

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If I had to have a folder, it would have to be like this:

It’s got Dura Ace bits, FTW! 🙂

racefaceec90

yes it does visit their web site http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/ where you can see the range (i live not too far away from bradford upon avon,where they are made) on the really expensive ones they actually braze with silver! i like em though (cannot afford one 🙂

tangent
    Free Member

Brompton are very versatile and fun machines…suggest you get a test ride on one before you buy to get the fit optimised. e.g there’s a taller seatpost for tall people etc. , and several handlebar variations, which again is best tested to find what fits you & your riding.

If your running flat or the the curvy riser bars, I’d really reccomend adding some mini barends it’s a great help climbing, and dead comfy for general cruising about.

re. Elfinsafetys comments: I think it is worth pointing out that the basic componetry like brakes & shifters etc. has been improved a lot upgraded over the last years (I myself run old Diacompe SS5s as the original brakes levers were v.naff. Quite a lot of other bike equipment has doubled in price, so the value for money thing is difficult to rate, but they do tend to hold the s/h value well.
    Have fun 🙂 riding & choose a funky colour.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A bloke I worked with had a Moulton. He was such a tosser. I always regret not battering him to death tbh.

Can’t really see the point of ’em, for all their engineering. If they really were much better than ‘conventional’ bikes, as claimed, then surely that design would have been adopted universally. It hasn’t, because it isn’t.

An exercise in ‘how different can we do this’, if you ask me.

And they’re not ‘folders’, they’re merely dis-assembleable, surely? Looks a right faff when you’ve got a train to catch.

racefaceec90

Elfinsafety to be honest i agree with you.would still like to have a ride on one,just to see what it was like.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, don’t get me wrong, it’s bikes, it’s all good.

But you can’t beat the ‘standard’ bike design really, imo. Nice to see others trying different ideas though.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Sh*te compared to proper bikes but a necessary evil for some people. There is a clip to prevent the floppy rear end I belive.

Given the doubts over quality of parts used and also the high prices used ones normally achieve then buying a new one with a warranty should surely be considered.

I was responsible for the returns and warranty department of a large mail order company which sold Bromptons and spares and regardless of the perceived quality of some of the parts very few were returned under warranty or otherwise.

They are still built (including frames) in the UK I think which definitely will be part of the cost.

Want a truly terrible folder? Get your ass on a Bickerton, oh my days! I once almost popped my ring trying to change a tyre on one and after an extensive service / overhaul had to give it a test ride, never have I wanted to get off a bike so quickly.

Pigface
    Free Member

Horrible little things but they do fold small, they are a horrible ride and are stupidly quirky and expensive.

http://www.kansi.co.uk/

bananaworld
    Free Member

Oh-me-oh-my, what a hilarious thread!

The Brompton detractors clearly haven’t actually owned a Brompton, or kept up with their development, nor, indeed, know what they’re talking about. As demonstrated by:

Elfinsafety –
    Interesting to see that Bromptons have almost doubled in price, over the last 6 years or so, with no improvement in the quality of parts.

That’s pure tripe. I’ve, coincidentally, owned mine for six years and the current model doesn’t cost double what mine did at the time. More importantly, whilst the shape of the bike and its superficial appearance remain the same, pretty much all the parts have been upgraded as a continuous process (from major things like bars, the geared hub, wheels and brakes down to little details like the front luggage holder, the handlebar catch and the rear swing-arm clip).

I bought a Brompton at the ripe old age of 24 (hardly a mid-life crisis…) and having ridden it for many years and many miles I would say: go for it.

The ride is fun. They are fun bikes – little wheels are wicked and nippy, especially in traffic. The folding mechanism is genius and the folded bike a neat thing to carry and stow. The longest ride I’ve done on it was about 45km, and I smiled all the way. Tow-paths and fireroads are no probs, but obviously it doesn’t like mud (I tried…)

As for downsides… Having said that they’ve upgraded all the parts, the spec of mine is vastly different from original. I’ve put Tioga 2″ rise downhill bars on and Ultegra Hollowtech II cranks to combat the flex in those components (both of which have been upgraded anyway in new models, but still not stiff enough for my liking).

Pedals are… interesting. I immediately swapped the woeful right-hand pedal for a grippy flat pedal, but the folding left-hand pedal remains. It’s a very well-made, long-lasting and sturdy thing, but its astonishing lack of grip on one side directly led to a broken collar bone a couple of years ago… I’m going to try putting SPuDs on and see if the left-hand one gets in the way of carrying the bike.

It is true that I fix bikes for a company that sells Bromptons, but I’ve experienced Brompton’s customer-service, parts-ordering and backup and can say: they will sort you out if you need anything. ‘Flashier’ folding bike companies have not been as forthcoming.

Enjoy your Brompton!

(EDIT: …but FFS don’t do what most owners do and let it get dirtier than a gutter and ride around with 20psi in the tyres…)

bigbmx
    Free Member

Bananaworld

Do you like children?

rob1984p
    Free Member

bannanaworld, have you seen these;
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mks-mm-cube-ezy-removable-clipless-pedals-prod16352/
    pretty pricey but I enjoyed fingering a set once and thought they were really good quality, anyhow £80 is cheaper than a collar bone.

Its also fair to say that Brompton changed the frame a few years or changed and started making two or something, can’t remember as I never had to sell em just did the occassional bit of spannering on them.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I test rode one and the expereince wasn’t anything like the earlier reports in the thread!

It was solid, comfortable, the brakes worked well and the whole thing felt quite stiff. I’d happily ride one. Most of the parts have changed, but its the details that change rather than the overall shape. Great bikes IMO. Nothing folds as small whilst still riding well.

I had a Dahon, it was good but they are bigger than a brompton when folded and exceed a lot of size restrictions on rush hour trains.

i’d steer clear of a singlespeed, you need to stay seated and spin the pedals really.

chiefgrooveguru

I love mine, it’s hilarious fun in town. Quick, nimble and practical. Have owned it for eight years and done thousands of miles on it. Replaced the chainring, rear sprockets, chain, tyres, rear rim, brake blocks, cables and saddle in that time but essentially it’s stock. Longest rides I’ve done have been about 60 miles but it better suits the urban sprint!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

No competition if you want small but I think 5ft 9inch is the ideal maximum for the bike.

If you could cope with a larger fold the Birdy (with the forward sloping stem) rides very much like a full size bike even though it has 18inch wheels.

The Brompton is a serious clown-bike ride compared.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s pure tripe. I’ve, coincidentally, owned mine for six years and the current model doesn’t cost double what mine did at the time.

Oh really? I worked in a shop selling them; in 2004/5, the base model was selling at about £375. The base model is about what, £650 now? No, £700. So, I was actually right, wasn’t I? 😉 S’allright, apology accepted.

Maybe they have upgraded the parts; they needed to. Most of the stuff on them was crap. A cursory glance at one in a shop recently din’t suggest mush ‘upgrading’; the bits still looked and felt cheap.

We used to get loads of ’em in for servicing, and fixing stuff that had gone wrong. The mechanics hated them. granted, their customer service was good, but then, it needs to be tbh.

Nice colours, trendy fashionable image, very small folded size. but a compromise taken too far, imo. If I were getting a folder, I’d get something different. A 20″ wheeled bike rides so much better.

But if you love yours, then good luck to you.

bananaworld
    Free Member

I think 5ft 9inch is the ideal maximum for the bike.

Nah, I’m a lanky fecker and it suits me fine. Definitely go for the extended or telescopic seatpost if over 5’9″ish.

Elfinsafety –
    So, I was actually right, wasn’t I?

Erm, well, only if you compare the price or oranges today with that of apples historically. The base model Brompton you’re referring to was the C3 which did indeed sell for such a bargainacious price. Unfortunately it was a pile of shite with extra-cheap parts on it. Happily they don’t make that model any more so a direct comparison can’t be made. Let’s not allow such a trifling inconvenience to stand in the way of pedantry: the current ‘base’ model (M3L) has a RRP of about £750, though most retailers discount. I bought mine (then it was called the ML3) when it retailed for about £475. Accounting for ‘inflation’ and the many upgraded parts, that doesn’t seem so bad.

You’ll also be disappointed to hear that loads of them still come in for servicing and need parts replacing. Quite rare that this is a result of anything other than failing to clean the bike, pump up the tyres and replace the chain before it wears out. Just like 90% of the servicing I do then…

But if you love yours, then good luck to you.

Love you too! 🙂

Oh bugger, it’s the middle of the night and I’m arguing the toss about folding bikes. Ho hum, I shall convince myself that it’s justified as only someone who’s owned one of the damn things can give meaningful advice.

Let’s have a midnight grump moment:

bigbmx –

Bananaworld

Do you like children?

Nope, I hate the bastards: you offer them free candy and they run a mile. Ungrateful little shits.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I was right then. 🙂

The worst thing about children, is that they turn into adults.

And some of them buy Bromptons…

bananaworld
    Free Member

mfw: ❓

nickf
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of Dahons – my Mu SL is bloody quick, weighs not very much, and folds up small. Never had a problem with rush hour trains, though I concede that a Brompton is smaller.

I’ve modified both my bikes a bit – SPDs, carbon bar, a decent saddle, XTR brakes – but then I do that with any bike. Even with the mods they work out better value than the Bromprons, which have the added disadvantage of being so smugly middle class.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Nah, I’m a lanky fecker and it suits me fine. Definitely go for the extended or telescopic seatpost if over 5’9″ish.

Whereas you may be able to ride the bike, it won’t look like it fits you though.

A 31″ inside leg is the max for the standard seatpost I think, otherwise you need the extended, which by definition means the bike doesn’t fit.

nickb

Back on the subject of which one to go for (rather than Bromptons are great, Bromptons are terrible etc etc…)

I have an S2L. I prefer the look of the S type over the M type, and it feels a little better (to me) on the road.
    And the 2 speed is quite a bit lighter than the 3 or more speeds – as soon as you go to a 3 speed I think it uses the hub gear, which from memory is about 0.5kg additional weight. The 2 speed uses a small deraileur.

The ti version is nice, but in reality is a bit of a waste of time (not that I wouldn’t prefer one given the choice at the same price ;-)). The only bits that are ti are the front forks and the rear triangle – the main frame (ie the heavy bit) is still steel.

Go buy one – they are fun!

Nick

simon_g

I have an S2L as well. Preferred the riding position, usefully lighter than a hub-geared one and the two gears are absolutely fine for me – it’s like a SS but with a “bail-out” gear for steeper hills. Going 2-speed to 3-speed adds 550g.

I looked around at second-hand but there were so many dodgy ads for ones that seemed stolen. Ones that looked OK weren’t far off the price of a new one, and they went to a nicer saddle, locking rear end, etc more recently. Else they’d been regularly used and abused – and the owner had decided to get a new one rather than fix all the worn bits on the old. Considered the Mezzo too but in the end I went for a new Brompton and have had so much use out of it that the extra cost per trip is next to nothing now.

The Brompton luggage is a little pricey but well-made and attaches solidly. Only problem with the S-type bars is that you’re limited to the smallest bag but I can get work laptop, change of clothes and all the other crap I cart around in there fine. Some weight over the front wheel makes it feel more stable too. Definitely beats a sweaty back in the summer.

If you’re factory ordering, definitely get the extended or telescopic seatpost (I’m 5’11 and have the standard one out all the way), consider swapping the standard tyres for Marathon Plus (punctures are even more of a pain with little Brompton wheels – and it’s cheaper than swapping tyres later). Oh, and get a less boring colour. The hard suspension block is better too IME if you’re on the heavy side and is no cost to swap on a factory order. Don’t get the Brompton lights, much better can be had from elsewhere.

I still like mine – they’re perfect for most of the city riding I do. Narrow bars are great for filtering through traffic, it’s quick off the lights, and of course it folds smaller than just about anything else and the folded package is nicely balanced for carrying.

Oh, and fwiw, parts you might need are pretty cheap. Via my LBS, a new chain is about £11, new brake pads £6, rear sprocket £5, gear cable (inner and outer, all cut to right length) £10. All the proprietary bits like hinge clamps, mudguards, etc can be bought at sensible prices and for all models going back to the start.

bullheart
    Free Member

pretty pricey but I enjoyed fingering a set once and thought they were really good quality

Whoa! 😯

crankbreaker

Isn’t the idea of having a bike to get to work so you don’t have to take stinking public transport?!

chiefgrooveguru

Isn’t the idea of having a bike to get to work so you don’t have to take stinking public transport?!

For short urban sprints (sub 30 minutes) the Brompton is as quick as any bike and because it can come into the office it doesn’t get stolen! And when you move out of town and cycling each day would take three hours plus each way the Brompton can be used to make getting from home to station and station to work far quicker. Knocked over an hour off my daily commute compared to feet or public transport.

crankbreaker

Fair enough, I did however see someone get on a train a couple of weeks ago and go one stop with a full size road bike. Couldn’t see any problems with the bike as they rode off after the brief less than a mile train journey…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Buying a Brompton’ is closed to new replies.