Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • buying a 12 string guitar, advice?
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

been years since i had one, and looking about theres quite a bit out there in my pitifully low price range.

£100 – £250

clearly the best bet is to try some, but i am struggling to find anywhere near northampton with decent mid range stock, plenty of £1500 exotica or £100 tat….

leaning more towards used as i might be able pick up something quite decent at the high end of my budget (takamine, nice tanglewood), not bothered about electro acoustic, just big body, big sound.

tell me about tanglewoods, also seen some guitars on ebay made in Canada under either the Norman, or Simon and Patrick brand they look nice?

Yamaha seem cheapish used, thoughts?

hitman
    Free Member

Yamaha make a really nice 12 string for about £350-£450
    Can't quite rememeber the exact price but tried one in London and it sounded very good for the price

stevomcd
    Free Member

1. Buy a tuner, you're going to need it! 😉

2. Back when I played a lot, Tanglewood were rubbish. Cheap knock-offs. May have changed. For a nice budget acoustic (6 or 12 string), I'd look at Simon & Patrick or Seagull (or Yamaha, as above).

meehaja
    Free Member

recently bought an adam black 12 string. its very nice and was the nicest one I played (including a £600 one). mone cost £199 from northern guitars in Leeds.

tyger
    Free Member

Tim I've just bought one and am delighted with it!!!

It's called a Fairclough Sky 12 string electro acoustic with away (optional) and cost me £350

Spec below and if you go for the electro acoustic it has a Fishman pre-amp with tuner built in – Fishman are the best pre-amps you can get.

* Seasoned solid spruce top
    * Rosewood back and sides
    * High grade mahogany neck
    * High geared gold and ebonite machine heads
    * Maple body bindings
    * Bone nut and saddle
    * Mother of pearl inlays
    * Rosewood rosette headstock and truss rod cover
    * Dove tail joint
    * Electro Acoustic models with Fishman pickups

It's absolutely wonderful, the degree of build and craftmanship is superb.

I would highly recommend one.

website

timdrayton
    Free Member

cheers all

forgot to mention the other one i am looking at, Crafter?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘buying a 12 string guitar, advice?’ is closed to new replies.