Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Buying 2nd Hand from Canada
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I have been offered a 2nd hand rear shock at a really good price (less than half the price of a new one here) by a guy in Canada but I m worried I will get stung for loads of money by customs.

Anyone with any experiences?

cynic-al
    Free Member

less than half the price of a new one here

Is that really a good price?

As for import duty etc, if he's prepared to lie on the form then you should be OK.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Add 25% to the price (worst case scenario) and if you'd still be happy with that, go for it.

Chances are it'll be less.

mikey74
    Free Member

Well it's a Cane Creek double barrel with a Ti spring. New ones with a steel spring are £550 in this country and he's gonna sell if for what equates to approx. £300.

He has said he will be happy to lie on the form.

druidh
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member
    Well it's a Cane Creek double barrel with a Ti spring. New ones with a steel spring are £550 in this country and he's gonna sell if for what equates to approx. £300.

He has said he will be happy to lie on the form.

So – you're happy to buy 2nd hand goods from someone who has already admitted he is dishonest.

What could possibly go wrong?

cynic-al
    Free Member

FFS Colin, have a word with yourself!

Do you work part time for HMRC?

mikey74
    Free Member

Hahaha couldn't have pit it better myself al

druidh
    Free Member

* awaits "I got this 2nd hand shock from Canada and it's not working properly" thread *

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

take care.

If you undervalue the shock on the declaration, but you insure the package correctly, they will put 2 and 2 together. Mate of mine was left having to explain that the fork he'd bought was actually a warranty repair thus had no commercial value but did carry a replacement value. He got away with it, you may not be so lucky

how used is the shock? I'd look around first and make sure you're getting a decent price. Used bike kit I would expect to pay half what I could get it for new. There's nothing stopping you from ordering a new one from Canada / the US and factoring in the duty.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Buying 2nd Hand from Canada’ is closed to new replies.