Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Keep, sell or divorce? (el-cheapo biking content)
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Headshok seals gone, needs seal/oil service. Have the original factory-fitted Fatty also, which is spring cartridge but needs a full service)

Pluses: Perfect geometry for me, rides really nice otherwise, and all 9sp running gear/SLX brakes and wheels are working like a charm. Don’t care that it’s 26er.

Negatives: I love it but bike fund is empty and summer season is already here. Options:

A. Worth keeping until can afford shock repair or conversion to regular forks? (no idea when this would be, but can ride rigid retro MTB until that day)
    B. Sell (whole or split) and buy cheap-ass mid range XC bike?
    C. Divorce self altogether from hydraulics and suspension maintenance/cost woes – ride my rigid M-Trax all summer long (with FSOL/Orb on the Shuffle, naturally) and sell this for camping funds?

jekkyl

If everything else is good bar the forks then just get some 2nd hand forks. Ask on the wanted, someone’s bound to have an old set of coil or solo air for 50 quid or under.

swamptin
    Free Member

Can you get a reducer headset to fit Cannondale headshok frames anymore? The Fatty is a 1.56″ steerer from what I can find. If you can find a reducer to 1 1/8th” you should be fine, but I’m gonna hazard a guess that your headset is where the problem will be.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tone46
    Free Member

I’m gonna say fix it, keep it, ride it.

I love seeing stuff like this out on the trail. Great.

Good luck.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Can you get a reducer headset to fit Cannondale headshok frames anymore?

Pretty sure you can get reducer cups, so would require new stem, headset etc on top of forks – so conversion is currently cost-prohibitive. Insult to injury I just paid for new SL bearings fitted, gah! Could maybe ride it with its original boingy/non-lockout forks but they do bottom out. If i lost 60 lbs in a few weeks would maybe improve things there 😉

swamptin
    Free Member

If i lost 60 lbs in a few weeks…

I smell a challenge. How much is 60lbs in new money? 27kg… hmmm shave the beard, two attempts at clogging the office toilets, jobs a good ‘un.

spev

i’m pretty sure i’ve got a set of reducer cups somewhere, there yours if you want em (as long as i can find them first)

amedias
    Free Member

Insult to injury I just paid for new SL bearings fitted

you can get reducers that allow you to use the original SI bearings and allow you to run a 1 1/8th steerer, I have some in a bag here, but they’re not for sale :-p

If you weren’t running discs I’d offer you my backup Fatty D’s on loan but they’ve only got rim brake mounts.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

i’m pretty sure i’ve got a set of reducer cups somewhere, there yours if you want em (as long as i can find them first)

Spev, yer gold fella, that’d be awesome. Email in profile cheers…seems like a plan happening for the interim, can always sell the Supers to help fund a set of solo airs as someone suggested…

If you weren’t running discs I’d offer you my backup Fatty D’s on loan but they’ve only got rim brake mounts.

Thnks but would be scared I’d break them and am currently loving the discs for a change. STW-high five nonetheless! 🙂

Am having word with self as when bagged this recent ‘dale it was to replace identical one I wish I hadn’t sold and so had since named it ‘The Keeper’ (probably as a reminder to self to stop looking askance/elsewhere and persevere!)

crazybaboon

I’ve also got some reducer cups you can have, and I saw them yesterday!
    Email me your address and I’ll post them out to you

yunki
    Free Member

use the reducer caps and get a rigid fork in there..

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Crazybaboon flippin great have emailed you thnks!

use the reducer caps and get a rigid fork in there..

Hmmm, I like the thought of rigid forks on this as would be even more crazylight. But at my stage of life I have a lot of fillings…

crazybaboon

Sorry failed to get them into the post today, hopefully tomorrow!

MarinNo8
    Free Member

If it helps I have an old pair of Pace Carbon rigid forks you can have on a longerm lend if that helps? Probably got a stem or two in my parts cupboard. Let me know of that’s of any help. G

bikeytom
    Free Member

I have a pair of RockShox Tora in my shed, not sure on the model but I know they have a travel adjuster, they’re about 4 years old i think. Yours for £50. I’ll throw in a stem if I can find one (i know I’ve got a spare one somewhere!). Let me know if you’re interested.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thnks for fork offers really appreciated. STWin! I’d love to try carbon forks but again be completely paranoid about wrecking them!

Just remembered – have a really old set of (leaking) RockShox (solo?) air forks in the shed going rusty/mouldy. Maybe cheap to fix, hmmm…can’t even remember what model or steerer length or even if have disc mounts. Think bought on a whim for not a lot and then stowed them and forgot (fishes out headtorch, oilskins and gas-mask). I do remember they have a needle valve

crazybaboon

Reducers have been posted this afternoon, good luck with it!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Arrived, good times! Thnks Chris am now going through my parts box to pass on some karma. Nice job 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

And I’ve just spent a frustrating few hours on Monday in Tony/Thumbprints workshop while we’ve rebuilt a lefty damper half a dozen times as the flippin SPV valve is goosed, and I keep eyeing up all the Fatty spares and contemplating putting a Fatty back on instead…

Hope you get yours sorted eventually Malvern Rider!

haggis1978

Why not sell the spare Fatty if you have no intention of using it and use the money to pay for a service on the fitted forks?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Keep, sell or divorce? (el-cheapo biking content)’ is closed to new replies.