Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Buy a frame for existing 26" wheels?
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of handbuilt 26″ wheels with Stans Podium MMX rims and XT disc hubs which I’ve been using on a road bike with tubeless slicks. However, I’ve decided they’re not ideal for that bike, so wondered if I should buy a mountain bike frame and use them with that.

Now, the guys in the mountain bike shops steer me towards 29″ wheels (think Jones etc).

Would it be daft to buy a 26″ frame just to use my existing wheels?
    I’m an MTB beginner, so need a bike to give me confidence, and a riding position which doesn’t put a lot of weight on my hands. I’d be aiming to ride long distance routes in the Highlands, and maybe do some lightweight bikepacking.

What 26″ frames would be good to ride?

I’m thinking about the Charge Duster Skinny. I’d consider a singlespeed, and either rigid or suspension forks.

chestrockwell

Would it be daft to buy a 26″ frame just to use my existing wheels?

In my opinion yes. If you look in to it more and decide you want 26″ then fine but from how you describe what you want above I’d be looking at 29ers.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s helpful. I’ll go back to trying to decide on a 29er…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Charge had some duster skinny frames on ebay for £149.00. Damn bargain, a quick search still brings them up, but not sure what sizes are left. If i was after a frame I would get one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Buy a frame for existing 26" wheels?’ is closed to new replies.