Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Buxton to Stockport mountain bike route
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

Anyone got a good Buxton to Stockport mountain bike route, on a GPX or Strava?
    Looking at doing this one-way (up to Buxton on the train, bike it back), think it would be a good way to get into the peak district without having to drive there, and there’s the advantage of having 220m more descent than ascent.

I’m looking for the route with the best trails, descents and scenery, rather than the most efficient route.

carlos
    Free Member

Have you considered getting the train to Edale or Hope? The route back is going to be quite a bit more exciting (trail and views wise) there not a lot of road at all and worth the extra effort IMO.

how many miles are you thinking to cover?

grannyjone
    Free Member

There is no direct train service from Stockport to Edale or Hope, so Buxton is more convenient. Milage wise about 30 miles would be about right but would be up for doing a bit more if it means getting in some good sections.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    carlos
    Free Member

Ah, I wrongly assumed the Mcr Piccadilly – Edale would’ve stopped at Stockport

monksie
    Free Member

Either Reddish North or Bredbury stations (in Stockport) are on the Manchester to Sheffield line for Hope etc. – as stated, much better than Buxton to ride home from but if it has to be Buxton:
    Manchester Road out of Buxton toward Long Hill. Just before it bends left, carry straight on up the singletrack road with the dead end sign. Follow the bridleway all the way round until you drop on the Long Hill above Whaley Bridge. Cross over and go down to the res…. this is rubbish without GPX or map co-ordinates. Sorry. Basically, the above and plot a route into Lyme Park and then over toward Marple and then Black Lane bridleway from behind Marple Hall School to Bredbury Hall then behind British Gas on Reddish Vale into Stockport town centre. It’s not a fantastic route.
    Hope etc back to Stockport is superb in comparison. Peak District. Peak District light then the same Bradbury Hall bridleway into Stockport as above.

carlos
    Free Member

As Monksie says, without a GPX or being mapped it’s a bit uselss, but another option could be –

Out of Buxton and over the old coach road to Derbyshire Brigde
    Up to Cat & Fiddle
    Across Danebower Hollow
    Cumberland Clough
    Round Macc Forest and up to Teggs Nose
    Bit of road to Rainow
    BW to White Nancy
    Drop into Bollington and road again to West Gate in Lyme Park
    Through Lyme Park to East Gate
    Drop down Grenshall Lane into Disley
    Past the paper mill to Strines
    Through the Roman Lakes to Marple
    From there I’ve no idea, sorry.

There are routes from The Cat & Fiddle that are cheeky across the slabs to Pym Chair, then along Taxal Edge which will drop you into Whaley, from there you can go along the canal to Disley and then pick up the paper mill, Strines etc..

nbt

There’s no direct service on a Sunday, but there is on Saturday it would appear. Would definitely make the effort to get to one of the stations on that line: Bredbury, Romiley or Marple.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Okay thanks for the suggestions.
    I’ve done a lot of the stuff in the Hope Valley before and was just looking for something a bit different, also with the direct service from Stockport, Buxton seems quite accessible.
    If the potential routes back from Buxton aren’t anywhere near as good then I’ll stick to the usual stuff.

Never thought of riding to Reddish/Bredbury & riding the train to the Hope Valley and riding back, I might consider that one day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Buxton to Stockport mountain bike route’ is closed to new replies.