Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Buxton easy routes
  • dweben
    Free Member

Hi people, I’m up in Buxton this weekend and am bringing the other half. I’m looking for an easy 10 mile or so route straight out of Buxton, or maybe a short drive away. Nothing steep (yus, know it’s the peaks!) or too mad technicality wise. 🙂

I did find the below but think it sounds a bit too much for her. Thinking half of it might be ok, can skip out on the main road half way if needs be.

http://www.peakdistrictcycleways.co.uk/cycle-route.php?route=Gytv1

Any other better suggestions? 🙂

Cheers

richpips
    Free Member

From Buxton,I’d do that the other way round.

Stay on the road at Elnor Lane farm instead of going left, and the rest back to Buxton is easy.

Esme
    Free Member

A much better idea would be this route from Bakewell – it’s lovely!
    Email in profile if you want a gpx file, or a pdf

dpfr

The route you’ve put up isn’t particularly easy. It’s got about 700 m climbing in it and some short, quite rough bits, both up and down.

Can I suggest you do a variation on it? Leave Buxton and ride up to the top of Long Hill (A5004) then go left down into the Goyt Valley. You then have a choice

For a shorter route, cross the Errwood dam and turn left up the Goyt Valley, returning to Buxton along the route you found.

For a longer route, turn right shortly before you reach Errwood dam, down a small tarmac track with a vehicle barrier and go down to Fernilee reservoir, then follow the track (flat, old railway line) north to the northern dam and cross there. Follow the tarmac left and climb a tarmac road that goes to the right (don’t take the first path into the wood; it doesn’t go all the way through). At the top of the tarmac road, go left and follow the forest road south. When you pick up the forest road, you are back on the route you have found and can follow it back up the Goyt valley to Buxton.

Either route is easy to pick up on the OS map

BadlyWiredDog

Most stuff out of Buxton is hilly. If you’re really not bothered about technicality and just want a nice, gentle roll out with some good views and restored railway tunnels, you could do a lot worse than driving down to Wormhole and rolling along the Mensal Trail out and back with a cafe stop thrown in. Tame but pleasant, family leisure cycling territory on a disused railway line.

The Goyt / Errwood reservoir stuff is nice though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Buxton easy routes’ is closed to new replies.