Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Butter or not?
  • andybrad

So having my morning toast (2 slices one butter the other jam or honey) I was thinking. Should I be buttering my toast before I put the honey or jam on. Or just go with the one spread?

rone

Butter.

Drac

There is no not.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That you even thought about it is enough.
    Delete your account.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Butter first, then peanut butter (spread about 10mm thick) white bread Obvz.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Absolutely. Margarine or low fat spreads are as deadly as diesel cars. Rats don’t even recognise them as food and wont eat them, so if it’s not good enough for them, it’s not good enough for me.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

This is a troll right?

Bregante

My wife does this – she claims that butter is superfluous when you are going to apply jam to toast anyway. I also noticed recently that she only applies butter to one slice of bread when making a sandwich and she has also poisoned my children’s mind with the same practices so they now think that I’m the strange one. I suspect that citing this in divorce proceedings will automatically give me custody of the children.

andybrad

i feel like ive potentially been missing out. Will try it tomorrow.

Ive only recently (last couple of years) put butter on my toast for beans on toast!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I only do butter/margarine on toast, more than anything to combat the dryness of the heated bread. Sandwiches, I don’t bother, basically the tub is ~99% MrsNOTG’s.

loddrik
    Free Member

‘Spreadable’ butter here. What a tart I am..

philjunior
    Free Member

Yes, butter it. And make sure you get right to the edges.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I am going to presume you are young but even so, how the hell are you even alive?

scotroutes

Not if subsequently applying another spread.

Hot buttered toast is, however, a delight.

andybrad

scotroutes – Member

so no butter on your honey on toast?!!!!!

philjunior
    Free Member

Hot buttered toast is, however, a delight.
    These sort comments are making me see all other posts by the authors in a very different light.

GrahamS

Ah the good ole deadly margarine myth – one atom away from plastic (in the same way that hyrodgen peroxide is one atom away from water)

Rats will eat rotting meat and human faeces though so… 😉

LeeW

Always butter my toast, but never spread jam on a whole slice, if I have jam it’s just the odd bite where I will spread jam to the bread before I bite it.

scotroutes

andybrad – Member

scotroutes – Member

so no butter on your honey on toast?!!!!![/quote]Correct.

andybrad

LeeW – Member
    Always butter my toast, but never spread jam on a whole slice, if I have jam it’s just the odd bite where I will spread jam to the bread before I bite it.

thats just strange….

LeeW

So is more than three dots in an ellipsis… 😉

GrahamS

If you are going for pedantry points, three dots isn’t an ellipsis either, this is …

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

where I will spread jam to the bread before I bite it.

This is just weird, i mean how many knives do you get through? You do use a clean knife every time yes?

LeeW

GrahamS – Member

If you are going for pedantry points, three dots isn’t an ellipsis either, this is …

Depends if you’re talking Victorian American English, or British English. 😉

CountZero

Yes, butter it. And make sure you get right to the edges.

This ^^ it’s the law.

Ah the good ole deadly margarine myth – one atom away from plastic (in the same way that hyrodgen peroxide is one atom away from water)

It might as well be plastic, for all the flavour it lacks.

matt_outandabout

Full butter coverage, while toast is both hot and still rigid, is a pre-requirement of being on this forum.
    Please resign with immediate effect.

GavinT
    Free Member

Honey straight on to toast make the toast go weirdly spiky feeling. Horrible.

andybrad

GavinT – Member
    Honey straight on to toast make the toast go weirdly spiky feeling. Horrible.

what toast are you using. doesnt on mine

GavinT
    Free Member

Well whatever bread I happen to have. Generally some kind of wholemeal thing. Of course this isn’t an experiment I repeat as I like butter, but when forced to experiment due to a lack of butter that was my experience. Maybe I have a more sensitive mouth?

andybrad

maybe different honey? mines the runny stuff.

sbob
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

‘Spreadable’ butter here. What a tart I am

All butter is spreadable.

Unless you keep it in the fridge, which is akin to keeping consumable liquids in the freezer, like some sort of sadomasochistic pervert.

andybrad

tbh it does become an issue in winter. On soft bread.

slowoldman

WHAT? How can this even be a question?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

sbob – Member
    loddrik – Member
    ‘Spreadable’ butter here. What a tart I am

All butter is spreadable.

Unless you keep it in the fridge, which is akin to keeping consumable liquids in the freezer, like some sort of sadomasochistic pervert.

Don’t you just use it in slices anyway like a normal person? Much easier to tessellate for full coverage that way.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

wobbliscott » Rats don’t even recognise them as food and wont eat them, so if it’s not good enough for them, it’s not good enough for me.

Rats will eat rotting meat and human faeces though so…

They’ll only eat the feaces of a butter eater though…

rickmeister

butter, peanut butter, strawberry jam and maybe even a little slice of brie for extravagance

jambourgie
    Free Member

Right, whilst we’re talking about butter.

I LOVE butter. And I believe it’s actually quite good for you, as opposed to other spreads, marg etc.

BUT

I don’t buy actual butter because when I come to use it it’s either a clarified goo or it’s as hard as a house-brick. So I buy the spreadable versions that you can keep in the fridge – Anchor, Lurpak etc.

Am I being a deluded fool in believing these are still as good as real butter. How do they achieve this state of temperature related consistency? Is it by adding a bit of harmless olive oil to the mix, or a load of dangerous chemicals/industrial by-products?

sbob
    Free Member

Ingredients

Butter (64%) (milk)

Rapeseed oil

Water

Lactic culture (milk)

Salt

There you go.
    Over one third not butter.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I can’t believe it’s not [all] butter!

because when I come to use it it’s either a clarified goo

Turn the heating down & put a jumper on

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Butter or not?’ is closed to new replies.