Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Busted FSA Chainset
  • Big-Dave
    Free Member

://www.flickr.com/photos/39913107@N07/4864478884/

I was out on my trusty Cross Check this evening when I had a bit of a 'mechanical moment'. The smallest chainring sheared off. I'm guessing the chainring bolts are made out of an alloy with the properties of stale cheese. It was a bit of a shock and frankly a bit of a crap end to my ride.

Has this happened to anyone else with an FSA chainset? Have I now found the reason why On One were offloading them so cheaply?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

bolt was probably loose

ton

this happened to me with a stronglight touring c/set…middle ring.
    went over the bars and banged my shoulder bad.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    smartsi
    Free Member

i have a fsa tech 2 type no probs with it and had it for 6months.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I've never had a bolt on a chainset loosen itself before. If that was the cause it isn't something I would normally check for.

Should I now be paranoid and check my other bikes?

And why the hell have my skills in posting images suddenly deserted me?

Thankfully I was going quite slowly up a fairly steep hill so no over the handle bar adventures were involved.

smartsi
    Free Member

will you replace it or fix it.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Well, the bb is running smoothly and the chainset was nice and light…guess I'll have to take it off at the weekend and narrow down what the cause was. If it can be fixed it will be a damn sight cheaper than replacing it.

Right nuisance.

smartsi
    Free Member

has the hole or thread been damaged????.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Not had a proper chance to check yet, it was a bit late in the evening by the time I got back and I was a bit fed up with it all by then.

I'm going to leave the whole swearing at tools in the garage thing for tomorrow evening. Hopefully I can sort it.

smartsi
    Free Member

if you are not able to fix it, i mite be able to help, i work in the engineering trade i mite be able to sort it out if the frames not broken, if you cant fix it send me some info to my email and see what i can do.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Ta, I'll see how I get on.

I seem to have had a week of problems with my bike and cycling in general.

If I can't fix it I suppose I could always fashion it into a throwing star and pretend I'm a ninja 😀

It would have to be a drunk fat ninja obviously…

smartsi
    Free Member

no probs just let me know.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Busted FSA Chainset’ is closed to new replies.