Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Busted!
  • SaxonRider

I have already started a thread bragging about my new Fizik road shoes, but what I didn’t mention is that I bought them ‘under the radar’. It’s probably the first time I have ever done something like that.

In any case, Mrs SR came home a while ago, and because she had an armload of groceries, she ended walking straight through the front hall – where we have dozens of pairs of shoes piled up, and where I have put my new shoes in the full expectation that they would blend in – without noticing anything different.

So far so good.

Then, 30 minutes later, she comes downstairs and goes to put something out the front door. Within seconds… mere seconds… I hear, “Hey! Did you buy yourself a new pair of cycling shoes?!?”

WTAF?

How did she discover them so quickly? I mean, really, they were deliberately mingled in with many, many other shoes, including another pair of mostly-white cycling shoes.

If Elliot’s mum had have been Mrs SR, E.T, wouldn’t have stood a chance in that closet!

tjagain

Its what you get for behaving like a tool.

SaxonRider

Thanks, tj.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RobHilton
    Free Member

Nice one teej 😆

As I understand it, women know about shoes.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Are you not allowed to buy what you want when you want?

boblo
    Free Member

tjagain – Member
    Its what you get for behaving like a tool.

Blimey, that’s not even argumentative – just very very direct 🙂

kayla1
    Free Member

This. You’re a grown-up, just buy stuff you want when you want it.

wwaswas

Of course he is. As long as he has spousal approval first.

tjagain

Sorry dude. Its the hiding of purchases I just don’t get. apologies for being so blunt. Memo to self – think before posting

jimdubleyou

I’m waiting for Mrs Dubs to discover the new Exposure Toro on my MTB.

Hoping it will be a while…

SaxonRider

Of course I can buy what I need/want. I’m neither a child nor an idiot. It’s just that I happened to have a bit of extra money of my own that Mrs SR didn’t know about.

Good grief. Has no one ever heard of ‘spouse receipts’?

Sometimes one partner is less inclined to spend than the other, and so it can lead either to argument, or light-hearted attempts one the spend-y one’s part to get more stuff s/he ‘needs’.

Sorry. I hadn’t realised that I should have made that all explicit in the OP. 😐

tjagain

I have my money. she has her money. Partnership of equals. I would never lie or attempt to hide stuff.

Spouse receipts ie lying to your other half = lack of respect in my book

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m sure this is a light hearted thread and now about debating the rights and wrongs of having to ask to buy things or indeed hiding them from ‘er indoors.

Anyway – #becauseshoes

My wife usually doesn’t notice I’ve had my hair cut, I’m come home with a decent amount of blood all over me or indeed in the ‘wrong car’ without her bating an eyelid but if I’m wearing a new pair of daps she’s in the know before the second one has crossed the welcome mat. I don’t get it either.

poah
    Free Member

wife didn’t bat an eye lid when Lewis’s scout frame arrived.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m neither a child nor an idiot.

When it comes to hiding secretly bought shoes you’re clearly one of the two 🙂

SaxonRider

Okay, I submit. You guys win…

…the Complete Absence of Lightheartedness Award.

Marin
    Free Member

My new bike in kitchen.
    Mrs Marin ” Is that a new bike?”
    Me ” Yes it is”
    Mrs Marin ” It’s nice”
    Any other response means you have a wrongun so leave them.

jonnyboi

How did she discover them so quickly? I mean, really, they were deliberately mingled in with many, many other shoes, including another pair of mostly-white cycling shoes.

were they very white? seventies disco shoes white perhaps?

I have a new single speed that the missus still thinks was built from leftover parts in the garage. All the manly men telling you to put your missus in her place are probably hiding in the toilet from theirs whilst they type.

Cougar

Dude,

Shoes.

Women.

Think about it.

tjagain

Its not about ” putting your missus in her place” its about showing respect and having a partnership of equals

Gary_M
    Free Member

All the manly men telling you to put your missus in her place are probably hiding in the toilet from theirs whilst they type.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting the op puts his partner ‘in her place’. That probably says a lot about you. Hiding in the toilet – why?

If I’m buying something big I would usually discuss it with my wife anyway, out of respect and because she’s interested, she does the same. It’s not about gaining approval.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Meh, if i buy anything big, i always speak to the other half.
    Usually because she needs/wants something from the same place. So we combine postage.

Next order is some bits and pieces to get my race bike ready to race this season, she wants a couple of sets of new road tyres and a cassette and chain for one of her CX bikes.

And a pair of shoes.

Nah, only if they suggest you should stop mucking around with bikes and play rugby, football or golf instead. That’s when you move on.

Tiger6791

tjagain – Member
    Memo to self – think before posting

😀

Can’t believe nobody picked up on this

leffeboy

If I’m buying something big I would usually discuss it with my wife anyway, out of respect and because she’s interested, she does the same. It’s not about gaining approval

is with GaryM, but not in a spouse kind of way

Is amused by the idea of hiding shoes from spouse. Almost anything else would have worked

leffeboy

Memo to self – think before posting

you do realise tj is good friends with Will Self, don’t you?

gribble
    Free Member

I think it is because they were natty disco slippers. My wife is always picking up on my dodgy/scruffy clothing choices, whereas to me I am not bothered.

I don’t hide anything deliberately, but then I am not fussed when she blows a load of dosh on some work suits or ‘essential’ clothes.

New Pike forks arrive – Mrs Gribble, no interest; but Mr Gribble, well, let’s just say a little bit excited…

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m never untruthful about buying stuff, but I don’t always advertise the fact either. And I like to be able to say ‘I’ve had that for ages’.

RobHilton
    Free Member

For clarity, OP, are you questioning ET’s sexuality?

SaxonRider

Warning! Humour content!

Look away now if you are offended by the suggestion that a person might actually not want his/her spouse to know how much they spend on bike stuff.

aP
    Free Member

herself doesn’t have a go at me when I buy stuff, I don’t say anything nasty to her when she does.
    At the moment the biggest issue is that her framebuilder has posted a picture of her new frame on instagram without even sending a picture to her.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I would never make a big purchase without discussing it with the missus ..smaller purchases are just a game really ..like the new boots that arrive from a shopping trip that her mam bought for her 😀
    My next small toy is in the post ..a Bakho folding saw for a bit of trail trimming ..
    I’m not yet sure if it will be a found while out riding or a ” oh ..that old thing I’ve had it ages ” kind of purchase ..
    It’s just a bit of fun innit !?

kayla1
    Free Member

Look away now if you are offended by the suggestion that a person might actually not want his/her spouse to know how much they spend on bike stuff.

Not offended at all, in any way in the slightest, I just don’t understand why anyone would be arsed about it is all. If you’ve got enough money, and all the bills are paid, why would it matter what you or your other half spends on stuff they want?

I discussed buying a Flare with my other half as it was a the most expensive I’d ever bought but all he was bothered about that all the bills were paid and we could afford it ok. Same if he wants to do a few trackdays on his bike or whatever, if we can afford it, off you pop. Have fun but don’t crash because hospital visits are a PITA.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Warning! Humour content!

Oh sorry, was your first post meant to be funny. Never noticed 🙂

SaxonRider

Oh sorry, was your first post meant to be funny. Never noticed

Fair enough. I often have that problem. That’s why I like libraries.

dabaldie
    Free Member

I have just bought a new bike… with permission.

I had decided that I need a new bike (maybe technically I didnt), so found one I liked, checked the finance offer, got the BC discount and added it to the basket.
    I then went and casually asked the other half.. I showed her the picture and she went “that’s a nice colour. yes, you can have it.”
    I didn’t know what to do. It took a full 3 more hours before I had the nerve to confirm the order. I was convinced she was joking.

Conversely, I bought a new set of wheels last year and didn’t tell her. The bike lives in the house and she didn’t notice the new deep section wheels for 6 months. It was only when I finally put the box in the recycling that she saw the box and asked me why there was a wheel box. I tried lying for about 5 seconds by saying it was an old one… but cracked immediately. She was more cross for me not asking, even thought it was “my” bonus that paid for them. She still couldn’t tell the difference between the wheels.

DezB
    Free Member

tjagain –
    Its not about ” putting your missus in her place” its about showing respect and having a partnership of equals

So equal that you don’t share the finances?? 😆

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Is your OH out of pocket in anyway? Should you have spent the money on anything else… dinner or a night out perhaps? If not WGAS?

tjagain

3 bank accounts. Mine hers and joint. We each pay half of our living costs into joint account then pay all living costs out of that. what we have left is our own to spend. Some years she has earned more than me, some years I have earned more.

anyone who knows us will confirm its a real partnership of equals. 37 years now.

SaxonRider

25 years here, and a joint account since marriage. I am the sole bread-winner, as together we have 8 kids and Mrs SR manages all of us. So when I spend, it’s generally with consultation.

Does this count as relationship willy-waving?

tjagain

saxon – simply answering dezb.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Busted!’ is closed to new replies.