Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Busman's Holiday.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

My aunt up in Banchory is seventy five. She’s really game, but since her husband had a stroke fifteen years ago she’s finding things a bit wearing. They did everything together . He was a geography professor who was at the top of his game when he had his stroke leaving him partially disabled and unable to communicate. One of the chores they enjoyed together was harvesting firewood.

As a Christmas gift, I took up my saws and before dinner I cut up a load of wood for them. My brother and I went up today and hauled about three tons of it out and split it before darkness beat us.

They were thrilled.

I’ve not used a splitting maul for a few years. Yikes it is a full body workout.

bruneep

Do they own scolty?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mucho karma points there matey, chapeau.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

Good work there. Plenty more to go at by the looks of it.

globalti
    Free Member

On straight-grained wood like that the maul is as gratifying as the saw.

Go back this time next year and help them burn it!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Bruneep, no, but we did rush up to Scolty to catch the sunset afterwards. Cracking views from up there.

A single speeder passed us on the walk back to the car park.

There are a handful more trees on the ground. If I have time I will try and get back up for them too. The ground was semi permafrosted so it made the job a whole lot easier.

My brother was hopeless with the maul. He says he’s like lightening, he never strikes the same place twice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Busman's Holiday.’ is closed to new replies.