Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Business trip to Manchester – should I take my bike?
  • freeagent
    Free Member

Right – am being sent to Manchester for a couple of days later this month for a training course.
    Not sure where we’ll be staying but it’ll be close to our offices in Trafford Park.

I’ll have a couple of hours to kill each evening, after we’ve finished, and thought I might take my bike.
    What is it like around there? (never been to Manchester – and live in Kent)
    Is there a nice roadie loop I could do, or should I take my MTB and ride along the river Irwell? – is there a path along the river?

Am I better off just staying in the hotel, rather than straying out and risking getting shot?

Anywhere I should definately avoid?

tthew

If you’ll be there on a Monday night, definitely, join the Monday Night Pub Ride.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Especially if you want your time spent driving there in the car to be greater than your time spent riding 😉

others can give you advice on Manchester but you can get to rivvy in under 45 minutes [ car] for a decent MTB ride
    Depending on days [ I can do tues or weds] happy to show you round
    Peaks is probably closer in distance but longer to get to
    Phillips park by velodrome but no idea if safe at night and a bit short IMHO

portlyone

There is off road riding to be had around Trafford, mainly around the Mersey (Urmston, Stretford, Chorlton areas). It’s mainly quite flat though. Let me know when I should be able to show you around.

There are specially built short MTB loops at Phillips Park in Prestwich/Whitefield and Phillps Park/Clayton Vale near the Velodrome. I ride the later frequently and never had a problem.

Rivington is a short drive and has some decent tracks. Then it’s the Peak or North Wales.

GregMay
    Free Member

Train from Victoria – Hebden is 30mins – ride lots, drink beer at the Old Gate. Simples.

Harry_the_Spider

Especially if you want your time spent driving there in the car to be greater than your time spent riding

Spoken in true STW fashion as a veteran of 1 MNPR in the last 3 years. 🙄

you can get to rivvy in under 45 minutes for a decent MTB ride

So, 90 minutes in a car then? 🙄

OP, if you are here on a Monday and want to play out you are more than welcome to join us. Depending when you are here we could be within a 15 minute drive of your hotel.

freeagent
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies –
    It looks like it’ll be a Tuesday + Wednesday eve.
    I’ll need to make sure they’ve not organised any evening stuff for us to do, and then i’ll be back for more info.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No offence meant HtS and I apologise if offence has been caused. It was just meant as a joke

terrahawk
    Free Member

risking getting shot?

we’ve not all got shooters, you know. Some of us keep it real and carry swords and that.

Harry_the_Spider

No offence meant HtS and I apologise if offence has been caused. It was just meant as a joke

People at the BBC have been punched for less 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

So have I 8)

binners

Get a nights BMXing booked in!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

couple of us ride from rawtenstall [ about half an hour up the m66 ] on a tueday evening setting off about six, you’d be welcome.Its more of a pootle than anything mad fast.youre welcome if you fancy

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ll happily take you round Hebden if you fancy it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Business trip to Manchester – should I take my bike?’ is closed to new replies.