Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • "Business casual" what would this be then?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Blue shirt? For the love of god! When we aspire to be blue collar, it’s a bad day.

What colours are ok? I’ve found a love for pink that I didn’t think would ever happen.

aracer
    Free Member

I think we know what it isn’t – it isn’t a suit. If it was a suit then the word “casual” wouldn’t be in there. Though there’s actually a lot more consensus than you seem to acknowledge, at least amongst those people who work in IT!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I think we know what it isn’t – it isn’t a suit. If it was a suit then the word “casual” wouldn’t be in there. Though there’s actually a lot more consensus than you seem to acknowledge, at least amongst those people who work in IT!

😆

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

PMSL – this is the best post in a while.

footflaps

She says “Miaow”, but then she always looks fabulous

Both ours wear ties for job interviews..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dJBrq6]Jeff the killing machine[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dJBNMi]George[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Working in a side part of it I’d still just do suit no tie, that’s the casual side of business. Gives you somewhere to put your cash and phone and just take it off if needed.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Suit and no tie. Exactly.
    Something like this suit with no tie.
    https://www.reiss.com/p/notch-lapel-blazer-mens-tanaka-b-in-indigo/?category_id=1110

Can use it at the next interview when they don’t specify, so you go fully suited and booted with tie.

bruneep

aye a student is really gonna fork out £265 on a jacket blazer 🙄

big day is tomorrow

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    bruneep

Do M&S open at 0700?

bensales
    Free Member

There’s IT and there’s IT. I work for one of the big consultancies, and if you turned up for interview wearing anything other than a suit and tie, it’d be noted, irrespective of role.

Day to day it’s the famed business casual, but you adapt for the client’s environment.

I note junior has been told business casual, but if that was the answer to ‘What’s the office dress code?”, then it’s the wrong answer for interview. A suit with no tie isn’t going to do any harm.

FuzzyWuzzy

Where I work the dress code is business casual – defined as shirt with collar (polo or normal), smart trousers (suit or chino type), shoes (not trainers or sandals). No jeans or tops with logos (unless company branded ones bought from the company store – I can only assume this is a thing in the US as you’d be a brave person to spend money on company branded polo shirts in the office I work in :p ).

For an interview I’d go suit & tie unless it was an obvious well-known casual dress place and it had been made clear to dress casually (different from business casual).

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

So what did he wear in the end, and how did it go??
    Oh, and where was it? We (Skyscanner) had the first of our graduate/intern selection days today, though I would be surprised if anyone in our office ever used the term “business casual”.

fourbanger
    Free Member

aye a student is really gonna fork out £265 on a jacket blazer

Every parent should buy their kid one decent suit. That is an investment in their future.

How did it go?

bruneep

Quote from No1 son when asked the same question “Aye it was good”, also said he was the 4th most formal dressed out of the dozen or so there. Wont know until next week.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Fingers crossed.

footflaps

also said he was the 4th most formal dressed out of the dozen or so there

Can never be a bad thing…

m0rk
    Free Member

Good luck to him, getting the first ‘experience’ is a tough one

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Every parent should buy their kid one decent suit. That is an investment in their future.

In Scotland, I’d say every parent should buy their kid a kilt instead. Not much good for job interviews but gets way more use for everything else where it is the formal wear of choice for many. I’m about to sell the only suit I own, been worn twice in the 12 years I’ve owned it, ironically those 2 times were interviews for jobs I didn’t get. Despite working a decade in various office based jobs, never needed one for business. Obviously some industries still might, but I don’t think there’s the necessity for one as there once was.

mudshark
    Free Member

There’s a market for used suits? Don’t wear mine much but need one sometimes.

footflaps

There’s a market for used suits? Don’t wear mine much but need one sometimes.

Charity shops sell them, loads of people expand out of their suits and give them away…

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘"Business casual" what would this be then?’ is closed to new replies.