Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • "Business casual" what would this be then?
  • bruneep

No1 son has an interview for internship and has been advised to wear “business casual” would this be trousers and shirt, tie or no tie?

A day of panic buying ahead for a 20yr old who lives in jeans and tea shirts 🙂

butcher

When I worked in ‘Business Casual’, it was shoes, trousers, shirt. I’m guessing a tie wouldn’t do any harm.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Chinos; short sleeved shirt; tie.

bikebouy
    Free Member

HTHs..

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

As he would be with full suit but he can lose the tie, unless it’s IT or advertising where shorts and a t-shirt will be fine.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

short sleeved shirt

Internship as a bus driver?

jimdubleyou

A tie is not required at our place.

An optional sports jacket / blazer over a shirt and smart ish trousers is how they define it.

mattyfez

Yeh basically..smart but not full suit and boot.
    so suit with open collar/no tie, or proper shirt shoes and trousers.

3 piece suit with waist jacket and cravat is out.
    Long sleeve shirt preferably with no breast pocket. NOT SHORT SLEEVE SHIRT.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Internship as a bus driver?

😀

beej

I hate dress code descriptions. I’d go with trousers, a shirt that’s smart but is sized by S/M/L rather than by collar size, shoes and a jaunty hat with a feather in it.

No tie.

Velvet jacket.

chakaping
    Free Member

Any of these outfits would do…

nickc

A day of panic buying ahead for a 20yr old who lives in jeans and tea shirts

go to Gap, they will have everything you need. Job jobbed

mattyfez

Do get a shirt that fits properly though, shouldn’t need to spend more than 25/30 on a shirt and it will make the difference between looking like a tramp and looking rather dashing. so go for a shirt that offers collar size, arm length, and if he’s slim, do for a slim fit/tailored style,etc.

chewkw
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

WTF is that zip?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Oh yes, don’t one of those stupid stylish suits with a short jacket.

Bregante

mattyfez

^Just no, lol,

molgrips
    Free Member

To me, it’s trousers that aren’t suit trousers (marketed as chinos but that sounds horrifically early-90s), leather shoes, and a ‘casual’ shirt which is still a shirt to me and hence smart.

Like Mattyfez’s dashing young fellow.

But I know bugger all.

bruneep

Yes its IT, I shall pass the images to him 😀

m0rk
    Free Member

chewkw has it.

He’ll feel better in a suit, more confident. Makes the man (except advertising comment ^^ lol)

Also… depends on if a paid internship, or just someone getting some slave labour.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

chewkw has it.

Disagree. Mattyfez’s picture shows someone smartly dressed without trying too hard. That’s pretty much spot on.

Chewy’s pic shows someone with a **** try hard suit and silly buttons on the shirt. And that zip…..

Nice shirt, smart belt, smart trews and some decent shoes. Job done. Especially for a young chap in early stages.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m dressed more or less like the Mattyfez pic recently (since buying a new load of work stuff) but it doens’t look anywhere near as good on me 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

Chinos; short sleeved shirt; tie.

Don’t forget to tuck the shirt in for the correct look.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Dark suit, white shirt and shades.
    Chicks dig shades and if he’s being interviewed by a chick, he’ll be sorted. 😉

See?
    Nothing screams success like a decent pair of shades.

reluctantlondoner

Depends on the industry. IT/creative etc would be dark denim and a plain coloured shirt for business casual.

skids
    Free Member

it means no suit, that is the difference between business casual and business formal

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

it means no suit, that is the difference between business casual and business formal

What would you suggest for business relax?

skids
    Free Member

never heard of it but probably shorts and flip flops. Business casual shorts not ok, must be long length short sleeved shirts/ polo shirts are fine

lunge

For an interview I’d be wearing a suit and an open beck shirt. If he gets the job he’ll drop the jacket but I’d definitely wear one for the interview.

Chewkw has it for the interview, the pic above that will be what he’ll wear if he gets the job.

chewkw
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    WTF is that zip?

No idea … did not see that just now.

OH … that’s a zip. D’oh! Funny pocket zip I guess.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

never heard of it but probably shorts and flip flops. Business casual shorts not ok, must be long length short sleeved shirts/ polo shirts are fine

I guess business relax would be somewhere between business casual and flip flops. I see busness casual as long sleeved shirts, short sleeved shirts are ok for business relax as you don’t have to roll the sleeves up and thusly look slovenly. A loose weave linen shirt would probably be ok for business relax as would a lighter shoe, but not open toed. Business casual needs more emphasis on business, so no business holiday!!!
    Sometimes I find myself telling myself that it’s a veritable nightmare.

mattyfez

Large pile of coke and private jet are optional accessories.

But seriously though, don’t under dress, go full suit if needs be, or lose the tie and/or jacket. Nice shoes, well fitted shirt. Sorted.

It’s worth engaging with the shop staff, they are generally happy to help, especially if you get a gay man … you’ll walk out looking very dashing hahah

footflaps

It appears my work uniform is borderline Street Casual, although I draw the line at wearing sleeveless T shirts…

mattyfez

Chewkw has it for the interview, the pic above that will be what he’ll wear if he gets the job

Bit flashy for me, I’d think they were a bit of a **** if they turned up like that, maybe a middle ground.

mattyfez

It appears my work uniform is borderline Street Casual, although I draw the line at wearing sleeveless T shirts…

But yet you don’t draw the line at jeans that are 3 inches too short? 😀

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

So wtf is business formal then?

mattyfez

Business formal is just your standard nice shoes, suit and tie.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Business formal is just your standard nice shoes, suit and tie.

If I could direct yourself to the image that was posted by footflaps, the image of the one that is wearing the suit is clearly defined as being suited in a business informal fashion, vis a vis not formal. This is the underlying basis of myself being confused.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘"Business casual" what would this be then?’ is closed to new replies.