Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bushing Re-sizing
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Just stripping the mtb down to clean, replace, service etc.

Rear shox is off to Loco in the morning, but just noticed the front fork seems to have some play. as in wobbles back and forth. More expense i was just going to do it myself but doesn’t look like i will be able to.

Is this what the bushing re-sizing is about, i am not going to have to replace the bushing???? The stanchions look fine, no wear which is a good sign. As an aside does anyone know if any of the servicing companies do helicoils?

mrmo
    Free Member

bump

johnellison
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s the bushings? Could it be a loose headset? It only needs a minute amount of slack in the headset to feel like there’s acres of play in the forks.

Same goes for front wheel bearings – even if there’s only the tiniest amount of play in the wheel bearings it’s feel like the front end’s all over the place.

As an aside does anyone know if any of the servicing companies do helicoils?

Errr, ring and ask??

mrmo
    Free Member

definitely not the headset, the fork is sitting on the table where i removed it ready for servicing. I thought there was a bit of play on the bike, but i am able to get the slider/stanchion to move on the table, a slight clicking.

I could ring and ask, but if someone else has already had it done.

LoCo
    Free Member

You need specific tooling to resize them (looser or tighter) if you go too far you can damage the bushing/lowers.

We don’t do helicoiling (guessing brake mounts) due to the possibility of damage/failure of lower castings.

mrmo
    Free Member

Thanks Loco, does a resize cost more/less/the same as new bushings? i guess more because it means new bushings, which cost???????????? and does a standard service include or exclude this?????

Just have to rely on plan b for the brake mount for now, a longer bolt, and plan c araldite. There are reasons for using adaptors….

LoCo
    Free Member

Resize is included in a full service. Can be done separtly, but would charge for labour and lower oil would need changing too and wiper seals removing (so would also need replacing)
    Fitting of new bushings can also be done at extra cost as part of a full service or on own.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bushing Re-sizing’ is closed to new replies.