Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Bus swerved to aim at me!
  • ads-b
    Free Member

I overtook a bus while it was waiting at a red pedestrian crossing. I sat in front for the green light. No reason for me to think anything was up.

Got to a roundabout, went through it, bus went through seconds later.

Got 200m down the road cruising down a hill. Bus comes storming up behind and makes an obvious swerve towards me as I pass!

I try very hard not to get wound up, but on this occasion thought I would mention his dangerous driving to him as he stopped at another set of lights another 200m further down the road. All the intention to knock on his window and have a calm word (no raised voice, just a word with him). He opens his window and starts ranting at me about overtaking me at a zig zag centre line marking at the first set of lights. I didn’t see them, but they are their. In my frustration I didn’t even bring up the fact he was trying to mow me down with a 5T weapon.

Other than make him wait behind me at the roundabout, i cant see at any point I deserved being swiped at. Wish I got his number, but was so angry I just swore at him and pushed his mirror back and cycled off.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Bus driver has a valid point.

DezB
    Free Member

ads-b has a valid point.

wwaswas

what ever the bus drivers beef, killing a cyclist to make a point about proper observation of road markings isn’t really on.

s
    Free Member

Can we all play with busses and lorries please?

Can we give this game a name?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

-1/10.
    You overtook at a red light?
    No proof he was aiming at you? You honestly think he’d risk his licence/livelyhood for the sake of a cyclist who doesn’t look at road markings?
    Shirly you can manage better than that, so swearing, bad spelling, CaPs BuTtOn or anything??

Doug
    Free Member

Did the bus hit you or force you off the road?

epicyclo

Non judicial capital punishment is actively discouraged in this country – unless it happens to a cyclist…

Doug
    Free Member

what ever the bus drivers beef, killing a cyclist to make a point about proper observation of road markings isn’t really on

Is ads-b posting from the grave?

ads-b
    Free Member

Goldenwonder- i didnt go through the red light
    And dont call me Shirley

No contact, but only because i left enough space on my insideto swerve out of his way. If i was a bit more timid on the bike I would certainly have fallen off.

wwaswas

Is ads-b posting from the grave?

One suspects not.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

i didnt go through the red light

Never said you did, you over took the bus whislt it was waiting at a red light? Would you do that in a car? Or was there a cycle filter lane on the inside of the bus?
    Dangerous IMO to overtake something the size of a bus, no way of really telling when the lights were due to change & the bus to start moving is there?

Doug
    Free Member

GW – OP overtook the front vehicle at a pelican crossing rather than going through the lights. Both illegal.

If i was a bit more timid on the bike I would certainly have fallen off.

Would you have overtook him in the first place if you were a bit more timid. Could the driver see you had the space to move over to let him pass a little easier after jumping in front on a significantly slower vehicle. Courtesy and due consideration works two ways.

ads-b
    Free Member

Lights had just gone red, so was sure I could get infront. I prefer to be infront as i can get out the way of traffic rather than gt mixed up in it (safer). And I would love to know how many people sit at the back of a queue of traffic when they can easily filter on the outside.

Having the space for me to move over, and barging his way through are two different things. I sit 2 foot off the kerb for that exact reason (and drains).

I didnt hold him up at any point. And even if I did, my point is he shouldnt be trying to teach me a lesson with an effing great big bus!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dangerous IMO to overtake something the size of a bus, no way of really telling when the lights were due to change & the bus to start moving is there?

Drivel.

ivantate
    Free Member

No justification for drivers trying to teach cyclists lessons by swerving etc…. there will be a fight if someone tries it on me.

Breaking a minor law on a bicycle (most cops wouldnt pull you up for filtering, especially if you didnt jump the crossing) doesnt make you a target for vigilant tw*theads.

Motorist jealosy.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if it really was dangerous report him. professional drivers should be better than the rest of us.

Digger90
    Free Member

Take licence number of bus and report to Company…

Doug
    Free Member

There’s no excuse however I am trying to understand situation as a whole. Was there traffic coming the other way/in the outside lane which he should have waited for but thought sod it as you could be arsed waiting for him. I could be wrong but the fact you didnt fall off and are not in fact dead as some have suggested was the drivers intention leads me to believe it wasnt actually that bad.

As mentioned above, report him, if he does it regularly then it adds to the weight of evidence against a certain driver respectable companies don’t ignore. As there has been no damage or injury, unless the driver has a poor record, your complaint will probably go in the bin. I would suggest that filtering to the front of lights to get in front of large vehicles which then have to over take you also not that clever regardless of the legal situation.

thepodge
    Free Member

For the cost of a cheap Muvi copy (£15 at Maplins) you wouldn’t have to explain your self, you could just show people exactly what happened and then they wouldn’t have to jump to conclusions.

Its amazing how different people act when they spot a camera strapped to your head.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Filtering to the front is not illegal

project
    Free Member

Well im the bus driver training manager for a large bus company, 😉 firstly buses weigh a lot more than 5 ton, buses dont storm they are driven by proffesional drivers, who do a days work for a days pay, pushing his mirror back could be seen as a sign of aggression and also criminal damage.

If you ride like a fool there may one day be a where you loose,luckily today wasnt one of them.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

buses don’t storm they are driven by professional driver

Oh that’s funny. That’s really funny.

In London there are good drivers and there are bad drivers of buses, the same as all other vehicles – I’d have no problems believing that a driver swerved at the OP.

There are good, polite, drivers who are considerate of cyclists and there are aggressive arseholes. I’ve seen drivers on their mobiles, I’ve been cut up by buses (nothing like overtaking a cyclist who’s in a cycle lane and then pulling in to a bus stop and slamming on the brakes) and many of them now accelerate and brake at rates that are dangerous for passengers – you get thrown around on a modern bus far more than on older, slower, vehicles.

Most recently I had a driver first overtake me at a traffic calming island (forcing me on to the pavement to avoid getting crushed), then overtake me further down the same road where there was insufficient space, hitting me from behind and putting me in hospital. I’m waiting to see if the Police press charges but I’ll be pissed off if they don’t and if the guy is ever put in charge of a bus again.

maccruiskeen

Whatever the circumstances prior to the bus driver’s swerve, the swerve and the driver feeling he has the right to dispense justice are out of order. If he’s got an opinion he can keep it to himself til he gets home and logs anonymously to a bus drivers’ forum.

For future ref in circumstances like this – in the top corners of the bus front and back (and above the windscreen if you’re a passenger) is a number. That number rather than the route number, along with the time, identifies the driver and its shorter, easier to memorise/jot down than the reg

maccruiskeen

buses dont storm they are driven by proffesional drivers, who do a days work for a days pay

you don’t travel on public transport often then Project? 🙂 Maybe your drivers all drive like chaufeurs, thats not the experience many of us have though.

kilo

It’s not illegal for a cyclist to filter to the front of a queue of traffic at a crossing the relevant regulations state it’s illegal for a motor vehicle to do this.

popstar
    Free Member

To be honest, all buses are GPS tracked via satelite (in London). If it wasn’t in London then each individual bus has it’s own timing log card. If needed be, report it … all you have to do is write down a letter with location, time and a bus route to the company.

If, and that’s if OP was really harrased in any way by offensive driver company would surely react in a proper disciplinary way. Theare are good and bad drivers the same goes to mindless cyclists who only could have 1 chance to gamble in road incidents like that.

Knocking mirror off comment says a lot about attitude of cyclist which may lead to serious trouble. Would that cyclist knock the mirror off a Van – Skip Truck – or god forbid car driver? Where that would lead to?

GavinB

@project – that’s an absolute belter of a quote from you there!

Not even going to recount the times I’ve had to wince at the driving of so-called ‘professionals’.

As for the OP, not illegal, but if you crossed the white line to get in front of the bus then that is tantamount to wee-ing in his corn flakes, recounting his somewhat doubtful parenthood and probably something equally tasty about his mother – so what did you expect?!

Edit: Actually, even if you didn’t cross the white line, you have still slapped him across his chubby little cheeks insulting not only his manliness, but also his reproductive skills to boot!

tyres

ads-b – I’m very glad to hear that you are OK. My motto is ALWAYS get the driver’s details. Later on you can decide whether to lodge a complaint or not but without reg or other identifying details you’ll struggle to make any complaint stick.

project
    Free Member

Look what happened to the poor german car whn the bus swerved to avoid another bus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiGkI53PeRw&NR=1

nbt

Professional just means you get paid to do it, doesn’t necessarily mean you’re good at it.

+1 for reporting

popstar
    Free Member

Aggresive drivers should be reported, no matter proffesional or not.

Nbt do you know what it takes to become proffesional driver? Not deffending some nutters on roads, there are plenty of them.

nbt

Yes, I do, but as I said professional doesn’t always mean good.

project
    Free Member

nbt – Member
    Yes, I do, but as I said professional doesn’t always mean good.

Posted 2 minutes ago # Report-Post

Especially inm the health and social care fields, 😯 a certain hospital in staffordshire bears that out quite well, public enquiry still on going.

popstar
    Free Member

Project that video is sick. Don’t know what was going on in bus drivers head at that time but what about this one?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5RnFbPaFNc&NR=1[/video]

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Bus swerved to aim at me!’ is closed to new replies.