Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • Bus lane fine
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I bet it wouldn’t. People who pay not attention wouldn’t notice it because it was a red circle with a bus on it.

😀

sbob
    Free Member

I’m not so sure. No entry means no entry to your general driver. Bus lanes can often be legally driven on. The current signage is definitely not doing a very good job!

Drac

Well done for spotting a spelling mistake Charile. I’ve been awake since 11am yesterday so I’m blaming extenuating circumstances.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Didn’t realise it was a spelling mistake, thought it was a typo.
    But you do well to make the point that we can’t always pay full attention all the time, even when it matters.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

aracer – Member

ernie_lynch » I am particularly good about avoiding killing wildlife. Robins have nothing to fear from me.

How do you know if you don’t see them?

Of course I see them, I’m always looking out for wildlife.

Wildlife is at the top of my priority list – before Micra drivers but after the Old Bill.

aracer
    Free Member

Congratulations on making the point that people shouldn’t be driving when tired!

Drac

But you do well to make the point that we can’t always pay full attention all the time, even when it matters.

Who do I appeal to fot paying attention.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Congratulations on making the point that people shouldn’t be driving when tired!

However, we live in the real world

Who do I appeal to fot paying attention.

Not necessary

simmy
    Free Member

How about this for a Bus Lane

If they had a camera on this they would make a fortune. As you can see, it’s very short and ends just before the traffic signals meaning, if you drive correctly and want the left lane, you have to come over at a 45 degree angle to stop in the left lane at the lights.

It’s the only 24 hour bus lane in town, the rest being 7am – 10am then 4 pm – 7pm so guess how many motorists drive in this short bus lane ? I’d say 80% of people drive straight through it.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I drove to Buchanan Galleries car park in Glasgow. The final approach is along a one-way street that at the car park entry becomes a bus lane.

The car park was closed and the entry blocked with scaffolding. I had to drive through the bus lane to escape.

Glasgow City Council sent me a fine, I disputed it but they didn’t want to know. I’d seen no signage warning of a closed carpark, so submitted a FOI request regarding alteration to signage on the approach. They were only able to supply details of PROPOSED signage, and were unable to show evidence that the proposed signs were ever put in place.

I appealed to the Adjudicator and they had had “scores” of identical appeals and they rules against GCC. I was refunded the fine that I had paid.

If you can prove it was unreasonable, it is worth pursuing.

mattyfez

I got caught out in leeds completely by accident, dark, Rainey, trying to figure out how to get somewhere with the one way maze in the busy town centre.

It sucks.

Haze

We’ve had three of these through the letterbox today, pretty sure I’ve got grounds for appeal – road closure and a big yellow diversion sign pointing me in that direction.

If I appeal in good time but it gets turned down, is the reduced fine still honoured?

Sorry for the slight highjack.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No info on the Council website or ticket? It’s going to be up to the Council. The info was clearly printed on my last ticket.

Haze

Haven’t actually seen it yet since I’m at work…my other half just messaged me with the good news!

sbob
    Free Member

If I appeal in good time but it gets turned down, is the reduced fine still honoured?

Generally, yes. Appeals tend to “stop the clock”.

Haze

Ok cool, I’ll revisit the junction tonight and get a picture of the diversion sign…thanks

stumpy01

Haze – Member

I rang Brent Council to see whether an appeal ‘stopped the clock’ and they confirmed that it did.
    I guess the appeals process wouldn’t work otherwise, because people wouldn’t want to take the risk of an appeal being turned down.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmmm. Think it might be time to invest in a Diversion sign to stick in the boot 8)

Klunk
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

The real world where bad driving is so normalised that it’s seen as acceptable?

DezB
    Free Member

From Klunk’s article: We would firmly stress that bus lanes are not there to generate income

Well obviously the bloody lanes aren’t!

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t get this ‘they are just making money’ argument. You know they don’t give it to the councillors to pocket it, don’t you? It gets spent on us.

johndoh
    Free Member

It gets spent on us.

Ohh I love your positivity Molgrips.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

CharlieMungus » However, we live in the real world

2 weeks for that snappy comeback?

but erm.. the answer is ‘No’

Peyote
    Free Member

I don’t get this ‘they are just making money’ argument. You know they don’t give it to the councillors to pocket it, don’t you? It gets spent on us.

Someone once described speeding fines as a “stupid tax”, that is it is very easy to avoid getting them, it’s just stupid behaviour (not necessarily stupid people) that is caught.

Bus lane cameras seem to fall into this bracket too, and because the money ends up back in the local govt coffers it can be spent on improvements that everyone can appreciate, ergo a tax!

Peyote
    Free Member

The real world where bad driving is so normalised

Unfortunately much poor driving is normalised. Everything from red light jumping to using a hand held phone. Not much is socially unacceptable when it comes to driving as the majority do it and “there but for the grace of god go I” is the message most take away when they are pulled up on it.

mudshark
    Free Member

I some bus lanes are resulting in significant revenue raising then signage needs to be looked at – or are those getting caught just more stupid/antisocial than in other areas?

Peyote
    Free Member

are those getting caught just more stupid/antisocial than in other areas?

Could be signage, could be demographic, could be road geometry or highway layout (someone earlier mentioned about decluttering the streets – excess signage). Could even be something as simple as the local council never having targeted motorists before in that area, but an accident meant it rose up the political profile and “something had to be done”.

Every site is different.

Edited to add – Ultimately though, as long as it is legally correct then the burden of responsibility should be on the motorist to be aware of what they are doing and where they are doing it.

br
    Free Member

I some bus lanes are resulting in significant revenue raising then signage needs to be looked at – or are those getting caught just more stupid/antisocial than in other areas? [/I]

IMO so many different rules/times etc that folk are confused often – I often drive into Edinburgh and although the bus lane is only operative in certain hours folk mostly don’t use it at all as that way no way can they be fined etc.

And on a motorcycle you’re allowed in some bus lanes and then not others, often in the same area (and same street in some parts of London).

cynic-al
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

CharlieMungus » However, we live in the real world

aracer » The real world where bad driving is so normalised that it’s seen as acceptable?

2 weeks for that snappy comeback?

but erm.. the answer is ‘No’ [/quote]

Have you thought of joining the Lodge of Big Hitters?

aracer
    Free Member

My humblest apologies for not sticking to an appropriate timescale for replying to Charlie – my only excuse, poor as it may be is that I only just noticed your comment upon revival of the thread.

So if you’re not trying to suggest that driving when tired is normalised, exactly what point was it you were making with your “real world” comment?

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Those blue signs are used on the tram network in Manchester. There are a ridiculous number of incidents of people driving through them and then grounding their cars when the ‘road with tramlines’ turns into proper tracks.

I’m sure it would happen far less if no entry signs were used.

GrahamS

@beztweets has looked into this. I don’t think anyone has managed to find any collisions (or certainly cyclist deaths) where a cyclist jumping a red light was the cause. The reality is that while motorists jump red lights as they change to red (or some seconds after), at speed, cyclists tend to jump red lights early, before they change, to get a head start having clearly checked the junction is clear.

Just to be that guy: motorists and cyclists are “jumping the lights” and committing a traffic offence if they cross the stop line on a solid AMBER light*

But given that “bad driving is so normalised”, most people seem to take amber to mean “put your foot down” 😐

* (unless you are so close when it changes that you can’t reasonably stop without risking an accident).

molgrips
    Free Member

Ohh I love your positivity Molgrips.

It’s bin day today. Just sayin.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So if you’re not trying to suggest that driving when tired is normalised, exactly what point was it you were making with your “real world” comment?

That sometimes people drive when they are a bit tired, not everyone can drive at peak form all the time.

sbob
    Free Member

@beztweets has looked into this. I don’t think anyone has managed to find any collisions (or certainly cyclist deaths) where a cyclist jumping a red light was the cause.

Southampton striker Charlie Austin mowed down a suicyclist in October. Was in the papers just over two weeks ago.

Peyote
    Free Member

That sometimes people drive when they are a bit tired, not everyone can drive at peak form all the time.

Which is why there are signs on many motorways warning “tiredness can kill”. If it hadn’t been normalised then these wouldn’t be necessary.

Of course I’m being facetious, I know you weren’t on a motorway, and I think the risks involved at your location where very different, but as a wider comment on the standard of behaviour expected from the average driver it says a lot.

sbob
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

I don’t get this ‘they are just making money’ argument.

😆

Cameras in my neck of the woods might be coming down because they are “not making enough money”.

Peyote
    Free Member

Southampton striker Charlie Austin mowed down a suicyclist in October. Was in the papers just over two weeks ago.

Interestingly he also admitted to driving without due care and attention.

Cameras in my neck of the woods might be coming down because they are “not making enough money”.

Is that true?

D0NK

Southampton striker Charlie Austin mowed down a suicyclist in October.

is that the one where the cyclist was knocked senseless has no memory of the event and the driver said the cyclist RLJed? – far be it from me to suggest people occasionally lie to get themselves out of trouble. Was there any other evidence other than the driver’s account? (witness/cctv)

Cameras in my neck of the woods might be coming down because they are “not making enough money”

cynically, the lack of money could be the reason – or it could be that no one transgresses so the camera can now be moved to somewhere transgressions do occur or just removed as I assume they cost money and man hours to run, if there’s no one to catch then arguably it’s a waste of money (altho I think this is probably short term thinking that may result in the original site seeing a lot more bus lane driving again)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Bus lane fine’ is closed to new replies.