Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Burr coffee grinders and other options?
  • blaggers
    Free Member

Any coffee experts here?

I'm after a better way of getting expresso ground coffee to use in my Gaggia Classic. I'm currently using pre-ground coffee, but it doesn't last long, so I'd rather freeze the beans and grind as required.

I have a Emide Burr grinder, but it doesn't give a very good grind (I think it crushes the beans rather than grinding them, I get lots of dust and mixed grind size). A mate has a Rocky Rancilio, which while good seems a little expensive, are there any other options I should look at? Dont want a doser if possible, as I'll only be grinding 2 shots worth at a time, and dont want to spend ages cleaning the thing.

Alternatively whats the best way to store pre-ground beans? Currently using a airtight container in the fridge.

Cheers.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have a Dualit grinder which was £60 – been using it a year without problems (at least every weekend and daily when at home). Gives a good consistent grind and no complaints – certainly MUCH better crema on my espresso than with my old blade grinder.I can also grind as much as I need for a coffee as portion control is very good.

I would never EVER use pre-ground!!!!

I am just about to make a coffee now – just using the Tesco own-brand beans which are, in fact, rather good!

nickc

Beans stored in an old Illy tin on the bread bin, not in fridge. grind in a regular grinder daily as I need. (worrying about mixed ground size seems to me, at least, to be just a bit too anal, but what do I know) Perfectly acceptable coffee at the end.

Coffee for me is pretty simple = Beans/water. Quality of ingredients wins over contraptions to get in the way of making it every time…

blaggers
    Free Member

nickc,
    mixed grind means some tiny dust stuff, and some 1mm bits, so usually theres no crema, as the grind is mainly too coarse.

mastiles, thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Quality of ingredients wins over contraptions

Completely disagree after using a blade grinder then a burr grinder with my Gaggia Classic (snap Blaggers). I NEVER got a proper crema with the blade grinder but get one every time, without fail, with the burr grinder.

nickc

Depends on what you look for in coffee I suppose. I personally don't think espresso is the be all and end all of coffee, so I'm not particularly bothered 'bout all that.

ransos
    Free Member

I have a Dualit burr grinder and Gaggia classic, seems to work a treat for me. Better crema a comes out slower than using shop-ground espresso coffee. I'm careful to only buy small quantities of coffee beans (100g) so they keep fresh, and I grind immediately before using them.

blaggers
    Free Member

nickc, If you aren't talking about expresso coffee, then you aren't helping my quest much.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the answer to many of life's kitcken questions is one of these with the appropriate add-on, the coffee grinder in this case

PLUS

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ouch BigBut – that is a blade grinder ooohhhhhhh no!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Blade grinder is a no-no. But this whole "I'd never use pre-ground" thing? Illy pre-ground and kept in the freezer (if you must) is probably one of the best commercially available coffees on the market and would be better than your Tesco shite no matter how good the grind.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

nope, i'm with nickc, simple is best.
    good ol' chef, with blade grinder and one of these

works great. no fancy gadgetry, just a brilliant cup of coffee.
    but no, I don't get anal about the size of the post grind ganules.

doc_blues
    Free Member

isomac gran macciono here – http://www.anothercoffee.co.uk/products/item150100.aspx (bought from a geezer off of STW)

once I had played with getting the grind right, i get great coffee and crema pretty much every time – of course you only get out what you put in, but currently enjoying some tesco own beans which are ok, but really like the sainsburies esspreso beans – certainly beat starbucks espresso beans etc hands down. Lidl arabica not bad too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and would be better than your Tesco shite no matter how good the grind.

In your opinion. Have you tried and compared the two? I have used many different beans, from Illy to Taylors to own brand to speciality ones from markets and delis. And *in my opinion* the Tesco one is a very good bean.

Funny how people think they can tell you their opinion is the right one and someone else's opinion is the wrong one.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

ground cowpat beats starbuck espresso

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Are all espresso drinkers elitists? Or maybe just too much coffee has been drunk 😉

Drac

I use a blade grinder and get excellent results with it, Krupps one bought on ebay by some guy who claimed it was no use for crema so had used once.

alexxx
    Free Member
    pacemaker
    Free Member

Are all espresso drinkers elitists? Or maybe just too much coffee has been drunk

Yes,

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Funny how people think they can tell you their opinion is the right one and someone else's opinion is the wrong one.

Grrr…well ever since the arrival of the twins mf, you've been very guilty of that mister…lack of sleep getting to you?

And yes, I've tried plenty of coffee…I'd hazard that I've possibly tried more than you…but we'll never know the answer to that. My coffee obsession goes back to when I was a teenager. The noted food critic Jeffrey Steingarten (if you think I'm opinionated, try reading him) noted on an odyssey of coffee trials and tasting that Illy is the best commercially available coffee. Also, the bit that says "100% Arabica" on your bag of Tesco (and again I'll use this word with no compunction) shite is more than likely meaningless (though packaging regulations may be more strict where coffee is concerned these days). It will more than likely contain a certain percentage of robusta beans which are nasty and horrible for making expresso (but fine for making cheap instant coffee).

But hey, if you like it, then fire away dear chap. But don't go telling people it's better than Illy because it's not.

blaggers
    Free Member

Hey chill guys, sounds like you've drank too much coffee! Thanks for all the advice, off to do some web searches.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have a gaggia classic to, I tried the £60 gaggia burr grinder which was noisy as hell and created alot of static so the coffee grinds went everywhere. It was pants so I got shot of it.

Now I have a Rancillo Rocky and I am well chuffed

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Illy is the best commercially available coffee.

In his opinion.

And, in fact, I rather like Illy too, buy it regularly and agree that it is very good, but as it is twice the price of other brands I thought I would try some others – and have just found the Tesco one to be very good – surprisingly so. Why don't you try it and decide for yourself rather than simply believe something someone has written in a book?

But don't go telling people it's better than Illy because it's not.

But, old chap, I didn't say it was better than Illy, I simply said it was good.

Maybe I am a bit more tetchy than normal, what new father isn't going to be sleep-deprived? But perhaps that brings into stark clarity the opinions brought to the table on here and in my altered state I am happier to speak my mind – and I took personal offence that you can't accept that I can have an opinion which is different from yours.

chewkw
    Free Member

This one for budget @ £159.

Ascaso i-mini stainless steel non-doser

Or any of Ascaso i-mini from here.

Grinders

I have Anfim Best like this one but then I am practicing to be a barista.

Budget for a good grinder if you can.

🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

There are tonnes of beans out and there is no such thing as one best brad bean for all. People prefer their coffee differently.

I prefer Ethiopian beans for my dark Americano and at the moment mixing different beans just to make it better.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

People prefer their coffee differently.

No – someone said Illy is best in a book and everything, so it must be fact.

😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Burr coffee grinders and other options?’ is closed to new replies.