Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Burr coffee grinders
  • timbur
    Free Member

Anyone any experience?

Dualit seem to have a nice one and Kitchen Aid do a pimpy one.

I use a stove pot expresso pot everyday so would like to grind my own.

HELP!

Cheers

Tim

JonM
    Free Member

I have the Dualit one. Works well with my Gaggia Classic without having to pay silly money.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I've got the Dualit, as have two or three of my friends, and it works very well and is cheap enough. I've been using mine pretty frequently for about four years and it's still grand. Definitely recommended.

JB
    Free Member

A lot like bikes "you-gets-what-you-pays-for"… spend the money(!), it seemed mad and unjustifiable to spend £200 on a coffee grinder, but 2 years later I've never ever regretted it, perfect espresso from the Gaggia Classic or even just grinding for the press pot the results are always spectacular. I bought a Rancillio Rocky without the doser, I only ever grind the amount of beans I'm going to use.

Taking this a wee step further (and assuming you're not already doing so…) try a bag of freshly roasted beans from http://www.hasbean.co.uk , the trouble with all this is that coffee anywhere other than home now is simply disappointing!!!
    JB

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The Dualit one is pretty damn good for the money – although if you want to use it with an espresso machine, you'll need to modify it a little (instructions on the web) to grind finer. The adjustments are a bit coarse too. For stovetop or cafetiere it should be fine though.

I went through a Dualit, then an Isomac Granmachinino (very good for the cash) and now have a Mazzer Superjolly that I picked up cheap on ebay, which is industrial coffee shop level and a top piece of kit.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have a rancillo rocky grinder after trying a few er not so good/cheaper grinders

Still happy 4 years later

montylikesbeer

Burr and blade grinders there is a difference.

Blade grinders use the inertia from the blades to effectively throw the beans around and cut them.

This leads to inconsistent density and grain size.

Not such a great issue for French press or Cafetières.

However an espresso or any forced pressure maker needs a consistency of grain size to ensure the pressurised water passes evenly through the basket.

If there were inconsistent grain size then the water would take the least resistant path and thus not provide a consistent and controlled extraction.

A burr grinder effectively "mills" the bean similar in concept to a flour mill though with erm blades…….you get the idea.

The net result is a consistent and regular grain size…………tah dah

Erm I sound geeky, I'm off

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Burr coffee grinders’ is closed to new replies.