Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • burping forks
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Been doing some searching on the subject of fork issues as mine are misbehaving. The issue of burping the fork using a cable tie seems to come up mostly, but this seems only to be in reference to the issue of air leaking into the negative air chamber (?) the symptom of which is that the fork doesn’t fully extend – it sucks down. This doesn’t sound likethe problem I currently have which is not getting full travel out of my fork – about 120mm instead of 150mm, but I don’t seem to have the fork suckdown issue as my forks fully extend when the bike is unweighted.

I let all the air out of the fork last night to test I did have full movement of the fork, which I did, but I struggled to get all the air out of the fork – I had to press the valve in, let the air our, then pump the fork a few times, then press the valve in again and more air would come out. I had to repeat this a good 4 or 5 times to get all the air out to enable me to fully compress the fork. This doesn’t sound right to me. Then when pressurising the fork again I had to put about 160psi in it to get my usual 30% sag (I’m around the 93kg mark weight wise), which sounds a bit high (can’t remember how much I put in originally, I think around the 90 to 100 psi mark).

I was going to try the burping thing tonight as it seems like it can’t do any harm and might work. The forks are due a service, but I’ve a few rides to do before I send them off. They’re not un-rideable right now, but do feel a bit squidgy and I’m worried about a total failure.

Any help to enlighten me on the inner workings would be appreciated. The fix is probably “It’s overdue a good service” but I’d like to limp them on for a few more rides before that.

Cheers.

EDIT: by the way the forks are Pikes, dual position of around a 2014 vintage.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

clean the seals a lot before burping to ensure you don’t poke grit inside

Then get them serviced.

roverpig

Burping isn’t about the negative chamber it’s about air leaking into the lower leg and getting trapped, making an “extra” positive chamber.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Been told that burping the seal is balls but first thing forums jump on as advice because it sort of gives a short term fix to some people, but it’s not solving the problem. Had the neg air chamber valve stickyness thing and forks sucked down and turned out the right way was to hard pull the stanchion up. A pop sound inside as the stuck valve clears and forks are fine again and stayed like that.

Have also seen comments from people who’ve spoken to SRAM and TF and they’ve also said they were told burping is forum nonsense.

plyphon
    Free Member

Just service it. Takes an hour following guides on the net to some relaxing music and a good cuppa. Quite therapeutic.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Would a lower leg service do it or a full service (whatever that entails). Never sure what a full service entails.

steel4real
    Free Member

From the info provided you need to service the air spring as well as carrying out a ‘lower service’ because that is most likely where your problem is.

So not a full service, unless you find damper oil in the lowers or some other concern then can probably leave the damper alone.

If you’re not sure what a ‘service’ entails then I’d recommended you go to the SRAM/RockShox website and look up the service manual !

Yak

I’ve just burped my wife’s fork. But the air and mucky water escape tells me that the air seals have failed and that I need to service it and change the air seals. But as a temporary fix mid-endurance race, it might be all you can do whilst trackside.

bigjim

Burping them isn’t nonsense, it shows that air is escaping from the negative spring into the lower legs, which it shouldn’t, giving a harsh initial stroke. It’s happened on three pairs of RS forks I’ve owned. Air spring service should fix it.

OP forks sound like they need a service anyway, the kits for an air spring service are pretty cheap and it’s a fairly easy job if you’re happy taking things apart and putting them together again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘burping forks’ is closed to new replies.