Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Burnt Beech Worktop
  • mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Managed to get sodium hydroxide cleaner on to a beech worktop without realising it was there until the dark burn mark appeared- have sanded it lightly and does not seem to be touching it – would it be possible to bleach it back to a more natural tone- could make the difference to whether I get a new heckler or not- please help

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I may be able to help here…can you post a pic of the damage?

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Cheers Ciaran if you can – will post them up when the batteries charge

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mundiesmiester
    Free Member

The worktop is solid beech with a clear oil applied – have sanded it but it barely made a difference

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

All you've done it sanded the oil back…

It doesn't actually look too bad TBH. However, if you want your heckler, you're going to have to put in a bit of hard work…

Get yourself a good orbital sander…something like this…beg, borrow or steal…

You'll have to sand and sand with a 40/60 grit till you remove the stain…I don't think it'll have gone that deep. You may also have to remove the oil with an 80 grit off the whole worktop. Finish with a 120 grit and then re-oil.

Don't use a belt sander…you may end up doing more harm than good.

Best of luck 🙂

Anthony
    Free Member

If your using an orbital sander like above then be careful to spread the sanding over a larger area of about a foot or more. It's very easy to tip the sander onto edge to get rid of the mark very quickly, but the dip in the surface of the wood where you have sanded will be quite noticable.

The above Metabo with it's orbit set at 1/4" to start with using a 60g paper will be done in about 5 mins. 2 more mins with a finer paper on 1/8" orbit to get rid of the swirls and job done. Stick the hoover in the dust port and you should get very little dust too.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Many thanks guys – off to the hire shop tomorrow then

craig1975
    Free Member

another way to do it… would be to use a sharp wide chisel or a sharp blade from a hand plain.. use the sharp edge, hold the blade square on the surface at an almost vertical position, with two hands, holding the blade firmly and in one motion, pull the blade to-wards you lifting the blade/chisel up as you go over the last effected area. this stops creating gouges, repeat this process but work it so that you don't end up with a concave.. once you have got ride of the mark.. give the area a rub with sand paper and re-oil as required, if you find your going against the grain try going in the opposite direction..

project
    Free Member

Try a few disposable razors pull towards you applying a downwards pressure, dont press to hard or you will snap the razor handle, keep other hand well clear, and work in the direction of the grain.

scaredypants

Hello, Deadlydarcy – it's just possible you could save my Heckler…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL @ scaredypants ! ……..excellent 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

i would try some oxalic acid. dilute at first then increase the strength.
    beech is a pale wood so it should work.
    (oxalic acid is used to bleach walnut gunstocks where oil from the action/locks would seep into the end grain and make the wood black.)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Burnt Beech Worktop’ is closed to new replies.