Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Burns and Scalds – when to go to AnE
  • Daffy

just accidentally poured boiling water over my hand, I’ve had it under cold water for 20 mins and it’s now in a bag…it felt okay for 10 mins but now feels properly hot…

It’s a little pink and there are a couple of white spots just starting to show…I don’t like to make a fuss, but.

scotroutes

Go. Let the triage nurse decide.

IA

If it’s not right and your unsure get yourself there. I’d not be messing around with hands, they’re useful! Go seek help

shermer75
    Free Member

Some good advice here:

NHS Choices

RoterStern
    Free Member

Get thee to A&E pronto! I speak from experience. 🙁

timidwheeler

Go. You need hands to ride your bike.

nickjb
    Free Member

Have you got a minor injuries unit nearby? Better than A&E in terms of resources for the nhs and time for you.

bearnecessities

a couple of white spots just starting to show.

Go.

scaled
    Free Member

I’d say now is a good time to go

scotroutes

Has he gone yet?

Daffy

Just called NHS direct…waiting for a call back.

bearnecessities

Politely, and I’m not in any way medically qualified – but if you have white spots, make your way to the hospital.

Don’t feel you’re a burden etc because you’ve actually seriously hurt yourself!

tjagain

As above – minor injuries unit if you have one – queues tend to be less

vickypea
    Free Member

I recently did a first aid course and one of the criteria recommended for going to A&E was if it involves your hands and it has blistered or gone white.

Drac

Emergency Care for a scald to a full hand.

Daffy

111 Believe it’ll be okay. The area affected is 60mm^2, there’s a very small 4mm^2 spot at the centre, but it doesn’t look like candle wax (their description), and there’s no immediate signs of blistering.

40mins later though and it hurts like a SOB…hence why I asked.

Apparently AnE is packed with folks with burst this weekend….

thecaptain
    Free Member

Based on what’s written, I think I’d go for that, and I never go to A&E.

edit: ok probably not given 111’s comment!

Drac

Apparently AnE is packed with folks with burst this weekend….

Like everyday.

andyl
    Free Member

After pouring boiling hot water over it, rub with plenty of sea salt and then in the oven until the crackling is lovely and crisp…oh hang on, that’s the pork belly for dinner.

Did they say keep it under running water etc? I’d be tempted to say still go for minor injuries or A&E, please do so if it shows any sign of getting worse.

Daffy

No, 10mins minimum cold water and 30mins Max. I’m not supposed to cool it after this despite the fact that it currently feel like a bloody oven.

I’m not bandaging it yet so I can keep an eye on it. If it gets worse, I’m off to the RUH.

Drac

Cling Film not a bandage.

Daffy

Done.

drovercycles
    Free Member

I recently did a first aid course and one of the criteria recommended for going to A&E was if it involves your hands and it has blistered or gone white.

This. General rule of thumb is if it’s over 9% of your body (an arm, front or back of a leg, front or back of your torso) or if it’s hands or head; or if there’s any white waxy flesh; or if it remains very painful.

I’d err on the side of going if you’re not sure. Better to get it checked out and it be fine, than to not bother and discover that it’s more serious than you thought.

wallop

I seriously scalded my hand a few years ago – a steam burn. So painful. Went to A&E and was seen immediately. Burns can be very serious!

madweedavey
    Free Member

Pictures?

jamj1974

Just go to A&E OP!

higgins
    Free Member

Calm down the lot of you!!
    Superficial burns hurt a lot.
    Cold water first aid, done.
    Simple analgesia, done I hope.
    Simple dressing, non stick or clingfilm.
    See how it looks in morning.
    If lots of blisters and you cant do dressings, then a MIU.
    If you want to wait for 4 hours for 2 paracetamol and a non stick dressing, get yourself to hospital.

ppapa
    Free Member

Have you got a minor injuries unit nearby? Better than A&E in terms of resources for the nhs and time for you.

This. I learnt about UK having such thing only 3 years after I moved in, but it seems like not so many natives know about it… I had so much better care there.

Daffy

higgins – Member

If you want to wait for 4 hours for 2 paracetamol and a non stick dressing, get yourself to hospital.

This was my EXACT thought.

Update – it felt much better by midnight when I wrapped it in a cotton bandage. Its a little pink and sensitive and stif this morning…*cough* but otherwise it’s fine.

Thanks fellas.

wwaswas

stick with the clingfilm, nothing that will ‘stick’.

(IANAD)

garage-dweller

higgins – Member

Or if you must scald yourself (or get a big burn on your elbow from hot wok temperature cooking oil) try to do it on a school night as the queues tend to be a bit shorter. Then you only wait an hour for them.

Hope it’s not too bad op.

tjagain

One of the funny things with burns is that the not so serious ones hurt a lot, the really serious ones dont so much

freeagent
    Free Member

One of the funny things with burns is that the not so serious ones hurt a lot, the really serious ones dont so much

That is because on fuller thickness burns the nerve endings are damaged/destroyed.

when I did my training we were told that any burn bigger than the palm of your hand should be seen by a medical professional.

Hope it feels better today – last burn I had was due to walking backwards into one of those portable gas heaters (with the big blue bottle inside) whilst wearing shorts.
    when I get a suntan you can see white stripes scared into the back of my calf.
    Hurt like hell.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Burns and Scalds – when to go to AnE’ is closed to new replies.