Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Burns
  • Cougar

Just managed to burn my finger. Picked up a frying pan making tea, and managed to catch a metal collar around the base of the handle (stupid bloody design).

Stuck it under the cold tap till it calmed down, then had a look on the NHS website for treatment. It has this to say:

Go to a hospital accident and emergency (A&E) department for:

full thickness burns of all sizes – these burns cause white or charred skin

partial thickness burns on the face, hands, arms, feet, legs or genitals – these are burns that cause blisters

The burn area is a red patch along the second and third pads of my index finger, but there is a patch maybe 5-6mm across right next to the joint which might be considered white or blistered (it’s kinda hard to tell). It doesn’t seem worth taking to A&E for the size of it but the comments above say “partial thickness on the hands” and “full thickness of all sizes“, which gives me pause.

Rang NHS Direct, got an automated answer saying they’re “exceptionally” busy and only treating emergency cases, for non emergencies I can request a call back in around four hours.

What’s the consensus, A&E or MTFU?

highclimber
    Free Member

I say MTfU, Vasiline and keep eye on it for infection and don’t pop any blisters.

emsz
    Free Member

If your typing here instead of screaming in agony, it’s probably not an a/e case.

Cougar

The NHS says not to apply any grease or creams (which I read after slapping Savlon on it).

emsz
    Free Member

I think they say keep it clean and wrap in clingfilm?

Cougar

If your typing here instead of screaming in agony, it’s probably not an a/e case.

I could go for the sympathy vote.

But yeah. Reading further, it doesn’t sound like there’s a lot they can do in the way of treatment other than dressings, which I can do here. Like I say, it was just the “of any size” thing that made me think “what, really?”

highclimber
    Free Member

you need to keep it moisturised. they’d apply something similar anyway.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what emsz said and MTFU

Cougar

I think they say keep it clean and wrap in clingfilm?

I do that anyway, but what about the burn? (-:

Cling film might not be a bad idea IBH, I read that somewhere else. Might stop me catching it at least.

Cougar

you need to keep it moisturised. they’d apply something similar anyway.

That’s what I always thought as well (hence the Savlon) but that’s not the advice given on the NHS site.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Burns-and-scalds/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Never use ice, iced water or any creams or greasy substances, such as butter.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Burns-and-scalds/Pages/Recovery.aspx

Keep the burn clean and do not apply any creams or greasy substances. Do not burst any blisters because this can lead to infection.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I googled home treatment and this american site gave me this great advice for home treatment

Apply soothing lotions that contain aloe vera to burned areas to relieve pain and swelling. Applying 0.5% hydrocortisone cream to the burned area also may help. Note: Do not use the cream on children younger than age 2 unless your doctor tells you to. Do not use in the rectal or vaginal area of children younger than age 12 unless your doctor tells you to.

HTH

http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/burns-home-treatment

Cougar

I’ll be sure not to use my finger in any of those areas until it’s healed, thanks for the tip.

druidh
    Free Member

Is disappoint

Is there for honest Poverty
    That hings his head, an’ a’ that;
    The coward slave-we pass him by,
    We dare be poor for a’ that!
    For a’ that, an’ a’ that.
    Our toils obscure an’ a’ that,
    The rank is but the guinea’s stamp,
    The Man’s the gowd for a’ that.

qwerty
    Free Member

DO NOT PUT VASELINE ON IT. A piece of cling film will keep it clean, moist and will prevent air movement causing pain. Take some paracetamol. Bag of frozen peas every so often will decrease swelling.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

or genitals – these are burns that cause blisters

If the advice web sites give advice on burns to genetalia, how many people must be burning their “bits” and how on earth do they manage it and what the heck were they doing to manage it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

was my first thoughts as well actually from title

O, my luve’s like a red, red rose,
    That’s newly sprung in June.
    O, my luve’s like the melodie,
    That’s sweetly play’d in tune.
    As fair art thou, my bonie lass,
    So deep in luve am I,
    And I will luve thee still, my Dear,
    Till a’ the seas gang dry.
    Till a’ the seas gang dry, my Dear,
    And the rocks melt wi’ the sun!
    O I will luve thee still, my Dear,
    While the sands o’ life shall run.
    And fare thee weel, my only Luve,
    And fare thee weel a while!
    And I will come again, my Luve,
    Tho’ it were ten thousand mile!

you should have picked a shorter one 😉
    EDIT:

how on earth do they manage it and what the heck were they doing to manage it

I did not want to ask but initial thought was hamsters.

Cougar

If the advice web sites give advice on burns to genetalia, how many people must be burning their “bits” and how on earth do they manage it and what the heck were they doing to manage it?

Kings of Leon imitators.

chewkw
    Free Member

As a kid I once picked something like this up while it was in used.
    Think I was 10 or 11 y.o. at that time and I do not mean picking it up on it’s handle rather it was the soldering part.

Soldering Iron.

Until today I still remember my experience as:

1. After 1 second of picking it up I could feel something very hot.

2. After that it was stuck to my fingers for another second.

3. Then I could smell burning flesh. i.e. my fingers.

4. Then I threw it on the floor … already in agony.

5. Mother put my hand in the cold water tab and applied some ointment but not sure what it was. Then wrapped my fingers up with some cloth and let me out to play with my mates again … job done.

6. Could not used hand for two weeks.

7. Once recovered life is back to normal ….

So unless you have toasted yourself very badly as in carbon ash type burn … then you will recover very soon.

emsz
    Free Member

I’ve just got cougars joke

thick or what? 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Unless you need the wondrous skills developed by Archie McIndoe, then MTFU.

McIndoe is a man I owe a great deal to.

Burning your finger is a case of MTFU.

Cougar

I worry sometimes that I’m too subtle.

Chewk > I’ve done that loads of times, but never that badly. Between soldering, rock climbing and archery, I spent a good amount of my formative years with few fingerprints to speak of. I’d have made a good cat burglar. But never bothered as I already had a cat.

Junkyard
    Free Member

glad yer arse is better Cpt 😉

Yes cougar I sometimes wonder if I am 😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Again, 😆 @ Junky!

(The McIndoe influence is in earlier generations, not myself. His hands, his skill, his patience, his care gave someone dear to me a face, a life, a chance. Every time I walk past the blue plaque to his name, I stop for a moment to say thank you)

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Ever thought of a career in the Marines……Parachute Regiment maybe !

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

I worry sometimes that I’m too subtle.

Chewk > I’ve done that loads of times, but never that badly. Between soldering, rock climbing and archery, I spent a good amount of my formative years with few fingerprints to speak of. I’d have made a good cat burglar. But never bothered as I already had a cat.

Cat is good I like cat.

Somehow I still pick them up (iron side) whenever I see them on the table (not plug-in) just to dare myself … feel like I won a victory or something what a fool. 🙄

Cougar

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Burns’ is closed to new replies.