• This topic has 74 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WTF.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Burnley Council in Brexit sense of humour shocker….
  • RustySpanner

Our local woodland paths and trails have received some lovely new signs.

Brexiters not happy.

🙂

We wondered when the backlash and outrage would begin.
    Linky.

Sorry, it’s the Express.
    Either that or the Mail.

Anyway, cheered me right up.

Nice one Burnley Council.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Why on earth have they used KM anyway? Seems a dumb decision.

RustySpanner

But a council spokesman dismissed the furore.

He said: “The signs went up recently and were paid for from a Forestry Commission Grant.

“The park is still being developed and the idea was to encourage its leisure use with walkers and cyclists who often work in kilometres.

“How many 5 and 10K run are there across the country and our great Olympic heroes run 400 metres, not yards!”

“This is nothing to do with the Brexit vote.

“Burnley has some beautiful places to visit, however you want to measure them.”

kimbers

newrobdob – Member
    Why on earth have they used KM anyway? Seems a dumb decision.

?? seems like a very smart decision to me ‘Global Britain’ shouldnt be stuck using anachronistic and random units of measure

we should be embracing the modern world not trying to drag ourselves backward

km79
    Free Member

“We’ve fought and won two world wars and finally won our referendum to come out of the European Union. But now we are producing pathway signs in kilometres.”

🙄

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

@m49.1, unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who think like that, still.

Bruce

Could the council not teach the people who are outraged to divide the km by 8 and multiply by 5 for a rough conversion?

Coyote
    Free Member

I run, walk and cycle in kilometres. I haven’t got the attention span for miles.

scaredypants

Wow, not sure I’ve been to the Express website before. Seems they’re a tad less nazi but a bit more bonkers than the Mail – that about right ?

richmtb

The next thing will be for Council to stop people asking for a pint in a pub in Burnley!

They are going after the great british pint its a fundamental attack on our rights!

They work and are fully paid for by the people

AND we pay their wages

demand these signs are replaced with English ones in miles

I mean Town Centre 1.6km that’s clearly written in foreign

😀 😀 😀

Dave
    Free Member

I’m guessing the Steven Smith quoted there is the ‘BNP isn’t racist enough’ one from Cliviger.

km79
    Free Member

Never heard of the Express till I got a new phone a few months ago, and their ‘articles’ came up on my newsfeed. Still don’t know if they’re meant to be a real newspaper, don’t think I’ve ever seen one in Scotland. Every other day there is headline announcing the imminent start of WW3 with Russia. Can’t imagine why anyone would buy their crap.

newrobdob
    Free Member

What’s random and outdated about miles? Nothing wrong with it as a unit of measure. It’s what most people use.

Ranting on about miles being outdated sounds just as bad as the people complaining about the other way round.

SaxonRider

@m49.1, unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who think like that, still.

😆

kimbers

newrobdob – Member
    What’s random and outdated about miles? Nothing wrong with it as a unit of measure. It’s what most people use

not on my strava feed 😉

kids have been taught in metric for decades, as a scientist imperial measurements really make my OCD flare up, they are just so inefficient

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

who cares as long as it is not in Feet or Yards

chakaping
    Free Member

I like this sassy council spokesperson!

dlr

Literally no idea why lots of people I know insist on having their Strava set to Km when their cars are in Miles as this is the UK. They have yet to give me a valid explanation for their incorrectness.

DezB
    Free Member

not sure I’ve been to the Express website before. Seems they’re a tad less nazi but a bit more bonkers than the Mail – that about right ?

It really is a great big page of shite isn’t it?!

globalti
    Free Member

No need to worry, the signs will be gone in a few days and re-purposed to repair somebody’s Nissan or shed roof.

bails

Literally no idea why lots of people I know insist on having their Strava set to Km when their cars are in Miles as this is the UK. They have yet to give me a valid explanation for their incorrectness.

Maybe they’re not driving while on Strava?

I like the “imperial is logical, you’re just not used to it” people.

“Go on then, how many gallons in a cubic yard?”

“Err….”

It really is a great big page of shite isn’t it?!

I like their weather forecasting. They go for the scattergun approach. Forecast every type of weather possible and then claim you were right when one of them happens.

legend
    Free Member

dlr – Member

1. You shouldn’t be using strava in your car
    2. It’s in the Rules

RustySpanner

Dave – Member
    I’m guessing the Steven Smith quoted there is the ‘BNP isn’t racist enough’ one from Cliviger.

Assume so.
    😐

whitestone
    Free Member

I’d set mine to cubits but there’s no option for that 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Literally no idea why lots of people I know insist on having their Strava set to Km

Because they monitor their ascent in the correct form of metres.

HTH

ads678

dlr – Member

You tick off KM’s faster than miles, which makes it more betterer.

OS grids are in KM’s as well.

Edit: and wot he ^^ said about going up and down.

TheBrick
    Free Member

OS maps use km squares. Using km for walking and cycling becomes easier if you have done any outdoor activities because of this.

Flaperon

I think it’s great. If there’s a group that the people of Burnley hate more than immigrants it’s runners and cyclists.

Pissing off people who think Brexit was a good idea can only be a Good Thing™.

ferrals
    Free Member

As decimalisation is so bad, will we go back to shillings?

funkmasterp

Bring back fathoms and leagues. They sound more epicerer. I cycled seven leagues today and that involved climbing forty fathoms. See, much better ring to it?

mudshark
    Free Member

I use KM on my Garmin and Strava, no idea why I wouldn’t want to really. I follow pro cycling and ride in Europe sometimes which may or may not have influenced me. But yes – ascent in metres means a lot more to me than feet.

Just think where we’d be if we hadn’t gone all decimal back in 1971….

sbob
    Free Member

bails – Member

I like the “imperial is logical, you’re just not used to it” people.

“Go on then, how many gallons in a cubic yard?”

“Err….”

That’s not a realistic scenario though is it? What relevance is a cubic yard?

It’s more like:

“How many people will be at Dave’s wake?”
    “60-70”
    “Ok, we’ll need eight firkins then.”

Simple, useable amounts.
    Feet and inches, great for talking about height.
    Millimetres and microns, great for manufacturing tight tolerance components.

binners

I thought in tabloid-land the only acceptable units of measurements were football pitches and double-decker buses, with a clause for extreme circumstances, allowing the use of how many things have to be laid end-to-end to reach the moon?

dlr

I like the idea of KM are less so clock up quicker, I just prefer miles in my car and on my bike. I have no idea what on earth a yard is though which I see on some road signs 😉

Also signs like in the original post should be in metres if short distances or miles if longer 😀 😀

cranberry
    Free Member
    scaredypants

Binners, you’ve forgotten about Wales as a measure of area

GrahamS

They are walking signs no?

So what’s the issue? KM makes perfect sense. As others have said the entire Ordnance Survey National Grid is in KM.

Are some weird people walking about with imperial maps or something? 😀

dlr

I had no idea a Badger was a recognised unit of weight 😀

edlong
    Free Member

OS grids are in KM’s as well.

I’m sure that even as we speak Brexiteers are writing to demand that OS revert to the old 1 inch : 1 Mile scale

miketually
    Free Member

What’s random and outdated about miles? Nothing wrong with it as a unit of measure. It’s what most people use.

Define “most people”.

I’m sure that even as we speak Brexiteers are writing to demand that OS revert to the old 1 inch : 1 Mile scale

They won’t be happy until they can lick an ounce of lead paint off their foot-high golliwog.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Burnley Council in Brexit sense of humour shocker….’ is closed to new replies.