Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Burning woodworm infected timber – yes or no?
  • twosheds
    Free Member

Ive just taken up the joists and chipboard out of an old property that I’m renovating. The timbers are full of woodworm the chipboard is too. There’s lots of it and if cut up it would keep the woodburner in our living room going for a long time. BUT what’s the score with the woodworm? Will they still be in the timber and do I run a risk of infecting my house? It’s the last thing I’d want after seeing what the buggers have done…….. thanks….

Richie_B

They will be present and their is a risk however it depends how damp your house is as the larvae have a very hard time infecting dry timber. Storing it undercover outside and bringing it in to burn shouldn’t be an issue.

highclimber
    Free Member

There’s very little chance of infecting your house. Holes on the surface of the wood are emergence holes and not indicative of active infestation. Its possible that the woodworm is not present anymore.

twosheds
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’m going to cut it all up and store it in a brick outhouse, its dry. I’ll just fetch in enough to burn and not have it sitting next to the burner. I’m a bit paranoid as our house is old school house full of old sanded floorboards…

globalti
    Free Member

Look for fresh dust. Burning is an ideal way to get rid of it, just make sure the new timbers are treated (I’m sure you planned that anyway) and you don’t leave infested wood lying around indoors in the warm.

Be grateful you haven’t found dry rot!

footflaps

The larvae only like moist wood as they need the moisture, so once people fit central heating it normally kills off all the woodworm. My Victorian house has woodworm holes everywhere, but they’re long since gone.

mudshark
    Free Member
    johndoh
    Free Member

If you can bear to hear the screaming then go for it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Burning woodworm infected timber – yes or no?’ is closed to new replies.