• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Burning wood, I have to ask.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Log burners are proper cool..right? but if everyone used one wouldn’t that royaly **** things up?

Are they eco friendly?

Edukator
    Free Member

They’re carbon neutral but produce nasty fine particles that may give you cancer unless you fit a fangled fine-particle remover like they do in Switzerland.

footflaps

If we all had one, we’d be rather cold as we don’t grow enough wood to replace fossil fuels with wood burners….

Edukator
    Free Member

If we all had properly insulated houses they’d be enough wood to go round (where I live anyhow).

gusamc
    Free Member

sw Scotland, 20 years ago dad got all the wood he wanted from the beach, nobody else wanted it, mainly in the last maybe 5ish or so years there are now blokes with tractors high watering stuff early in the morning, it’s a new crop and there is a lot more demand now

matt_outandabout

Log burners are proper cool..right?
    but if everyone used one wouldn’t that royaly **** things up?
    Are they eco friendly?

Shades of green, innit? Everyone = not enough fuel and could not re-grow trees fast enough. In the right place (near fuel usually, not cities) then they make sense.
    They are eco friendly, but after proper insulation, draft proofing, new windows, making use of passive solar gains and reducing as much as you can. Even better if they are plumbed in with a Dunsley Neutraliser 8)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Wood burning stoves are great for people who are enthusiastic about being out doors ‘ harvesting’ wood, and who are planning a years supply ahead.

I foresee a generation of disgruntled newly installed stove owners, who bought them as lifestyle tokens, who will run out of wood, get sick of paying for it and who will never light them again.

Natural selection. It’s not for everyone, but I for one couldn’t live without a fire, it’s a primal need.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m currently slitting wood for 2017, but all of my stock would probably go in your smallest wood shed, McMoonter.

teasel
    Free Member

If we all had properly insulated houses they’d be enough wood to go round.

Definitely. It’s the only way forward TBH.

On a slightly different note, you might be interested to hear that my partner has just returned from her parents place in Wales. Her dad knows a farmer who has filled two fields with solar panels and is now harvesting energy as opposed to your usual crops or livestock.

ski
    Free Member

I foresee a generation of disgruntled newly installed stove owners, who bought them as lifestyle tokens, who will run out of wood, get sick of paying for it and who will never light them again.

I know two people, who have swapped their log stoves for the gas stoves in the last year, both said they got fed up feeding a real wood stove.

I agree about the outdoor lifestyle, getting my wood for free is the main reason I have one, that and I like the way wood can warm you three times 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One of life’s greatest pleasures. Getting wood. 🙂

flap_jack
    Free Member

I have one right in the heart of MK. As long as the Parks Trust keep planting I’ll keep burning 😀

cozz
    Free Member

i get wood, and sell wood so even better, sell a bit so in effect mine costs nowt

bigblackshed

My stove has transformed our house. Unfortunately I can only go so far down the insulation route. I live in a conservation area, which means I can’t install double glazing or cavity wall insulation. The walls have large patches of bricks and morter in the cavity which the insulation won’t fill properly.

Even with the amount I’ve spent on wood I’ve spent less to heat the house this winter. The gas bills have dropped significantly, to the point were we are in credit on our monthly plan.

To answer the OP, The Wife and I had this conversation a while ago and there is not enough wood for everyone.

bigblackshed

Double post

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

To be honest, it’s a really stupid question. Most people in this country don’t even peel a potato, or make a meal that doesn’t involve a microwave, so the chances of them burning wood for heat is preposterous. I’m sure we’ll be fine.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

My Fiance is delighted that the new house will have a woodburning stove, I’m not really that fussed – it has central heating.

Howevert the new shed will probably be solely wood stove heated – that I can get enthusiastic about.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stoves in sheds are awesome.

oldgit
    Free Member

I will be keeping an eye on things.
    I’m in the electrical trade, part of my company is heavily involved in solar. My family are builders and glaziers. On top of this our house is unusual as it lays sideways offering a huge amount of roof surface all pointing south.
    I was a tad concerned that wood gathering might be a chore in a town when I’m old?
    As a supplement I think it’s ideal.

Insulation, couldn’t agree more. I’ve been working hard on that and the rewards have been huge.

Bear
    Free Member

Matt – why with a neutraliser specifically?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nobeer you the man

Thats this country to a T

Stoner
    Free Member

something to bear in mind too are the clean air regulations.

A friend of mine penned this piece on it:
    http://www.isonomia.co.uk/?p=1558

Stoves in sheds are indeed teh awsum 🙂

matt_outandabout

Matt – why with a neutraliser specifically?

More that using the heat from the stove into a hot water or heating system is an excellent use of a stove. Many a plumber told us it was impossible to plumb a stove and boiler onto same system – and that valve sorted it so simply. Other products are available 🙂

Bear
    Free Member

An yes! You are correct.
    But not the only solution, that is what I was interested in as buffer / accumulator may be a better option especially if solar is available.
    Can make for a more complicated control system though.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Burning wood, I have to ask.’ is closed to new replies.