Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • Burning Poppies
  • ton

not the **** dalai lama…………ffs 🙄

ton

can anyone remember a drama on the tv
    tim curry and a girl in a car, near or at the seaside……with loads of soul music in it??

intode_void
    Free Member

Ton, are you drinking Absinthe this evening? Or are you too clever and subtle for me?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

not the **** dalai lama…………ffs

did you even listen to it before spouting that or was it just ignorance based intolerance?

I’m no buddhist, but the guy is just saying we all want pretty much the same thing so it would be good if we could just get along nicely.

grantway
    Free Member

I agree that everyone regardless of race, colour or religion should
    be remembered side by side has they all fought to save the world from
    one person Hitler.

But to say to save Britain is Crap! Maybe a hidden message there.

juan
    Free Member

They’re no more Muslim than I am…

Fouck you are muslim??? I claim my 5£

Cougar

Good grief.

Remembrance Day is to commemorate those who fell in the World Wars. It’s about as much to do with Iraq as it is to do with the moon landing, so quite what beef these protesters had, I’ve no idea.

Freedom of speech aside, Remembrance is a way of giving thanks to our way of life, that we all take for granted. Personally I don’t necessarily agree with organised events like this (as I don’t feel a need to be told how to mourn), but anyone who lives in this country should absolutely understand and respect what it means.

I do wonder, therefore, where we should be standing on our attitude towards people who claim they’re ‘as British as I am’ because they were born in this country and yet still think it’s acceptable to burn poppies in the middle of a Remembrance ceremony. Presumably these are the same people who think that issuing death threats is a rational response to someone drawing a cartoon of their imaginary friend.

Cos y’know. I don’t care what colour someone is or what their political leanings are. But I have little time for double standards.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

did you even listen to it before spouting that or was it just ignorance based intolerance?

It’s Ton we’re talking about here; same old same old…

Fouck you are muslim???

Oh yeah, din’t you know?

I wooduv thought the pork-eating and beer drinking, not to mention the not praying five times a day was a dead giveaway. 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m outraged by the un-ecofriendlliness of it all. Even the most apologist publication should boo hiss at the production of actual CO2.

markfu
    Free Member

I think they’re a bit confused to be honest, as am i. I mean a group called ‘Muslims Against Crusades’ holding up a banner saying ‘Islam Will Dominate’, are they against crusades or aren’t they? They don’t seem entirely sure to me.

The other confusing part is that they burn’t a poppy which signifies remembering all those that have died for, amongst other things earning the freedom to protest. They’ve called for those that earn us (and them) that right to protest to ‘burn in hell’. And finally wasn’t it us who were burning their poppy fields a few years ago in a bid to curtail the heroin trade? Now they’re burning them? Is it some sort of Jedi mind trick? Or are they just a bit thick?

Oh, and people, it’s just Anjem Choudhurys goons trying to stir up trouble again. T’was nice to read about one of his comrades being given a life sentence in Lebanon today (Omar Bakri – another comedy baddie).

ton

papa lazarou…………i know what you and the deity said……
    but, it is boolox matey.
    it wont ever ever happen will it.

Northwind

Cougar – Member

“Remembrance Day is to commemorate those who fell in the World Wars. It’s about as much to do with Iraq as it is to do with the moon landing, so quite what beef these protesters had, I’ve no idea.”

From the Royal British Legion:

“The National Service of Remembrance at the Cenotaph in Whitehall is a unique expression of national homage devoted to the remembrance of those who have given their lives in war. It was originally conceived as a commemoration of the war dead of the First World War but after the Second World War the scope of the ceremony was extended to focus on the nation’s dead of both World Wars, and in 1980 it was widened once again to extend the remembrance to all who have suffered and died in conflict in the service of their country and all those who mourn them. “

“Remembrance Day and the Two Minute Silence have been observed since the end of the First World War, but their relevance remains undiminished. When we bow our heads in reflection, we remember those who fought for our freedom during the two World Wars. But we also mourn and honour those who have lost their lives in more recent conflicts. Today, with troops on duty in Afghanistan and other trouble spots around the world, Remembrance, and this two minute tribute, are as important as ever. “

Now I’d not be so inclined to take the mick, had you not also said

“anyone who lives in this country should absolutely understand and respect what it means.”

but you have to admit, that’s pretty funny.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Cougar – great to see such strong views based on dross, you’ll fit in well with the BNP, The Mail and all those others who are not quite sure why they are so damn angry at people they don’t know and have never met….

Remembrance Day is to commemorate those who fell in the World Wars. It’s about as much to do with Iraq as it is to do with the moon landing..

Time to check your facts and come back to us when better informed

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance/we-will-remember-them/

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

would you look at that!

surfer
    Free Member

I wooduv thought the pork-eating and beer drinking, not to mention the not praying five times a day was a dead giveaway.

😆

Elfin your full of it but on top form nonetheless 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😀

Heh! You like that one, innit?

I was out with a Jewish friend and her small boy a while ago. We had lunch in a cafe. She asked if he could have a little bit of my food, and I said ‘yeah, no probs, but it’s got bacon in it’.

She said ‘D’you see a Rabbi anywhere?’

😆

ton

juan
    Free Member

I wooduv thought the pork-eating and beer drinking, not to mention the not praying five times a day was a dead giveaway.

Well you know me and the details 😉 I though you were eating tofu based pork and drinking alcohol free beer… :p
    EDIT btw there is a spelling mistake at giveaway 😈

Lifer
    Free Member

Oh, and people, it’s just Anjem Choudhurys goons trying to stir up trouble again

The media love Choudary, he issues a press release about his latest stunt and they cream their pants then lap it up. How many people does he have supporting him? 100 at most but yet endlessly giving him a platform gives him some kind of legitimacy and then people think he/they represent popular Muslim views.

F**kwits on one side doing these deliberately provocative acts with no message except ‘get angry’ which the willingly ignorant and credulous morons on the other side do. Choudary’s aim of ‘us’ and ‘them’ is fulfilled.

Cougar

you’ll fit in well with the BNP, The Mail

Well, no.

I live in a largely asian area. My next door neighbours, on both sides, are asian. We get on well. Recently when there was an incident here, they were all very supportive for me. For the hard of thinking, I’ll repeat what I said,

I don’t care what colour someone is or what their political leanings are.

I don’t give a toss whether someone’s black, white, brown, or green with pink spots. That gives neither a reason for them to be persecuted nor a reason for them to get preferential treatment. Hardly a BNP view, though the knee-jerk race card is very Daily Mail, maybe you should take a look at yourselves.

So I was wrong about Afghanistan being included in Remembrance Day. Fair enough, I stand corrected. It came about because of WWI though, and the World Wars are what (I believe) most people are commemorating with ‘poppy day’.

The rest of my post still stands though, I think. Is it right that people should be allowed to disrupt any ceremony that’s important to others? They want to have their own protest, fine, there’s 364 other days to go at. Burning poppies on Remembrance Day is akin to gatecrashing a funeral.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

F**kwits on one side doing these deliberately provocative acts with no message except ‘get angry’ which the willingly ignorant and credulous morons on the other side do.

Well put. Those morons are no better than the equally moronic fcuktards of the EDL. Neither of them represent the overwhelming majority of what they claim as “their” people.

markfu
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

Oh, and people, it’s just Anjem Choudhurys goons trying to stir up trouble again

The media love Choudary, he issues a press release about his latest stunt and they cream their pants then lap it up. How many people does he have supporting him? 100 at most but yet endlessly giving him a platform gives him some kind of legitimacy and then people think he/they represent popular Muslim views.

Exactly. I can understand people getting angry, but they need to take a step back, have a look at who it is that’s doing it, and then ignore it, or he wins. He brings nothing but shame on Islam, sadly a lot of people don’t see it that way, and tar all Muslims with the same brush. I don’t know that many Muslims, but the ones that i do know are thoroughly embarrassed by him and his antics.

yunki
    Free Member

si-wilson
    Free Member

It’s easy to dismiss this and to shoot down those who are upset about it, however it is about respect, not religion or any other shite, the fact is a group of people decided to show a complete lack of respect for something that nearly everyone in this country holds dear. Only in this country (which is a good thing) would this be allowed to happen.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

carbon337 – Member

Also the guy holding a sign saying “soldiers burn in hell” – how is that different to a man saying on twitter that someone should be stoned. This country is a joke.

So you believe in hell then ?

I don’t have any problem with someone saying “soldiers burn in hell”…….what do you think is going to happen carbon337 ? …..soldiers are actually going to burn in hell because wants them to ?

It seems to me that some people are very quick to be offended. Funnily enough, I suspect that it is exactly the same people who are outraged when some Muslims are offended. In fact the same people who feel it is absolutely fine to insult Muslims.

This story exposes the idiots in our society. On the one hand you have a small group of idiotic Muslims who insist on trying to wind everyone up with their crass antics garanteed to make the tabloid headlines.

And on the other, you have a rather larger group, of idiotic bigots who respond with their utterly predictable and moronic knee-jerk tabloid inspired bollox, such as “I bet they’re all benefit cheats”.

If both groups of pea-brained idiots were to shut the **** up, then Britain would be a much nicer place. Unfortunately as long as the tabloids continue to fuel both parties, that is very unlikely to happen.

ton

si…………nail on the head mate… 8)

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

For the hard of thinking, I’ll repeat what I said..

let me help

you said

Remembrance Day is to commemorate those who fell in the World Wars. It’s about as much to do with Iraq as it is to do with the moon landing

and then said

but anyone who lives in this country should absolutely understand and respect what it means.

so who’s hard of thinking?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

ernie_lynch +1

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

a small group of idiotic Muslims

As I said, those tossers are as Muslim as I am…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

As I said, those tossers are as Muslim as I am…

What’s that suppose to mean…………idiots can’t be Muslim ?

I don’t want to get into a debate concerning the level of commitment these individuals have towards Islam, but I reckon it’s highly likely that they regularly go to their local mosque for Friday Prayers. That, as far as I’m concerned, makes them Muslim.

backhander
    Free Member

Next time, I would suggest a non exemption parade in the area for the parachute regt (all btns) and the royal marines (all cdos) serving and retired.
    Then maybe burn some qurans, draw some cartoons of mohammed and maybe even call him a dickhead or something.

I don’t have any problem with someone saying “soldiers burn in hell”.

Would you have an objective to someone holding a banner sayin “I hope muslims burn in hell”? Only curious, like.

Scamper
    Free Member

Thankfully, this dos not seem to have been given the air time it doesn’t deserve. In the much the same way, those people who wanted to carry fake coffins through WB.

Nothwind points out exactly what rememberence sunday is all about – its pretty simple really.

Cougar

Papa_Lazarou > I already retracted the point you’re disputing, so presumably you’re just being obstinate for the sake of it?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think it’s because you made the point that it was something people living here should understand, then demonstrated that you didn’t understand it.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

They are just stupid cowards trying to gain some publicity by being disrespectful with the burning poppy stunt, fact is they wouldn’t have the courage to go to Afghanistan and fight with the taliban. There Just a rentamob full of fu*kwits.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

not the **** dalai lama…………ffs

Yeah, what a c**t!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t have any problem with someone saying “soldiers burn in hell”.

Would you have an objective to someone holding a banner sayin “I hope muslims burn in hell”? Only curious, like.

Well since you’re curious……..no, not really.

Obviously both comments are designed to be insulting and offensive, but I can’t start frothing in raging indignation over them.

As I said, I would just like all pea-brained idiots to shut the **** up.

Unfortunately there are many people who simply thrive on being shocked and horrified. Which is why the gutter-press supplies them with so many shock horror stories.

Cougar

I think it’s because you made the point that it was something people living here should understand, then demonstrated that you didn’t understand it.

So wait, it isn’t a Remembrance of The Great War (from nearly a hundred years ago) and World War II? Or, are you contesting that it’s worthy of respect? You really think Remembrance day is all about Afghanistan? Really?

It might have been expanded in the last few years to encompass current conflict, but (as I’ve already said) that’s far from its raison d’etre. You stop anyone in the street after the two minute silence and ask them what they’re thinking about, “Iraq” will be a small but directly affected minority.

But still, it’s an easy target to labour on a technicality when that really wasn’t my point, eh.

druidh
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    It might have been expanded in the last few years to encompass current conflict, but (as I’ve already said) that’s far from its raison d’etre. You stop anyone in the street after the two minute silence and ask them what they’re thinking about, “Iraq” will be a small but directly affected minority.

Actually, I’m not sure that’s correct. I was thinking earlier this week that Remembrance Day seems to have crept back into the public consciousness a lot more in the last few years. The TV coverage is greater and there is a lot more discussion of it generally. My conclusion (based on nothing at all) was that it was related to more recent conflicts.

Cougar

To be fair, you might be right. We’re both speculating.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Burning Poppies’ is closed to new replies.