Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Burning knee pain.
  • jkomo

My right knee has always felt a bit weak, but since upping my training it has started to give a burning sensation.
    It’s really bad when it’s still as well.
    Walking about on it seems okay.
    Any idea ‘s?
    I was planning on doing about 100 miles a week now the weather is better.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Which part of your knee? Front / side etc.
    Stop spilling hot tea on it!

jkomo

At gym now, I’ll try be more specific.

jkomo

The pain feels like it’s under the knee cap.
    Gentle yoga type stuff improves it, but it hurts like hell to do a lunge, or squat.
    Strong ache when stationary.

woodsman
    Free Member

Patella Chrondomacia (sp) perhaps, wear to the underneath surface of the knee cap, is quite common in cyclists.?

Rest it up, I think you’re body is providing enough warning

Rockape63
    Free Member

indeed, sometimes called Runners knee, you should apply ice and take ibuprofen and rest it. Use the pain as a barometer to train. if there are any symptoms, back straight off and revert to above.

davieg
    Free Member

Some little background reading for you. I have had pain in my knees when I upped my training.

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/take-care-of-your-knees-17010/

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/take-care-of-your-knees-part-2-17445/

Best go and see a physio and take things from there. It is ITBS that was affecting me with tight hip flexors and quads, but the pain was experienced in my knees. I started a stretch and strengthening programme, and use a foam roller regularly.

See what the physio advises. Take some time off the bike, changing your training programme and perhaps then looking at your bike set-up, maybe even a bike fit could help.

I am not a physio, but lunges and squats are just going to load up and tighten the very muscles you are stretching and loosening with your yoga type stuff. If it hurts, stop doing it and work on something else.

tomd
    Free Member

I recently had knee problems. Knee got very painful after long rides, and gradually I could ride less and less until I could hardly do 1 km. Difuse pain around the knee cap, hard to put it down to one place but quite severe.

I went and saw a good physio about it. The root of the problem was week glute muscles, the tendons down the outside of the knee had become very tight as a result causing the pain. He recommended starting strength training for legs and back and after a few weeks I started riding gently again. 2 months and it was sorted completely. So definitely worth seeing someone about it, the cause could be something seemigly unrelated and fixable with some effort.

globalti
    Free Member

Stop doing the lunges and squats; you are overloading the joint. Apply ice and use Ibuprofen. If you must cycle, spin in a very easy gear to reduce the mechanical load on your knees. Most importantly, read up on saddle height and make sure you’ve got it right. The pain will go away of its own accord in a few weeks but you’ve got to give it a chance.

jkomo

Blimey, thanks all.
    I don’t of lunges or squats as a rule, I was just trying to fix the position of the pain.
    I’ve got a couple of big road rides coming up, but I’ll ease off on the training, maybe do more yoga.
    Thanks again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Burning knee pain.’ is closed to new replies.