Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Burning DVDs
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

I am trying to burn video files to DVD on my laptop using Window Media Player.

The results are fine to open from a 'pooter, but my DVD player doesn't like the result. It is aware of a disc, with something on it, but doesn't know what to do with it. It simply comes up that there is a folder, which it can't seem to open and play.

I appreciate this is an incredibly basic and stoopid question, but what am I doing wrong, and indeed is there a way to do it right?

Thanks for any help.

Jon 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

What format are the video files?
    As far as I'm aware WMP can't convert to DVD format.
    Unless your DVD player is capable of playing DivX files you need something to convert your vids before burning.

BigDummy
    Free Member

They are (I think) WMP files. If they can't convert then that would seem to be my answer. As long as I'm not doing anything obviously dense. 🙂

What sort of thing does the conversion of the files?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

You need to use something like nero to burn a dvd that can play in a dvd player for your telly.
    It will re format it on the fly. Takes a while though depending on how powerful your pc is

xc-steve
    Free Member

If you have windows 7 or OSX you can use the preinstalled authoring software to create a playable dvd. (idvd and windows dvd maker or some similar obvious title)

snakebite
    Free Member

JUST GET SOMETHING free like imageburn from filehippo.com, much easier than MS stuff.

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, Nero does it.
    I use Ulead DVD Creator, then you can add fancy menus.

Not tried the inbuilt Win7 stuff.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Chaps, thanks. This has been very helpful. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

You need Windows7 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

One would almost think that "Windows DVD Maker" was designed to do exactly what I want it to do. This cannot be pure coincidence. 🙂

I have Vista I think, but I'll have a look at Nero and Ulead.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have Windows DVD Maker, and it seems to be working 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Burning DVDs’ is closed to new replies.